Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: EP45-UD3P Ram Question

Default Re: EP45-UD3P Ram Question

I decided to lower my multiplier down to 7 and see what would happen at a higher front side bus of 458 to keep the cpu at about 3.2. I put the RAM at 2.50A which put it at 1145MHz. I put the timings at 5-6-6-18.

I have yet to get the reboot cycle with these settings.

What happens when having the RAM at 2.50A vs one of the B, C or D settings? This was the only one closest to 1150.
    Antec Three Hundred
    OCZ StealthXStream 700W
    GA-EP45-UD3P
    Q9650
    Xigmatek S1283
    4x2GB OCZ REAPER 1150
    EVGA 9800 GTX+
    SB X-fi Titanium
    Samsung Sata DVD Burner
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
    Vista Ultimate x64

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by b_d0za View Post
    Or

set VTT to 1.2 and set MCH Ref to .685-.73 and raise VTT until MCH Ref. gets to where I want it?

My VTT is already at default 1.2 and MCH Ref is default .76. Can I go higher?
    That second method, I quoted above, is how you do MCH Ref. KINDA. You set Vtt to stock, which you already have, then you adjust MCH Ref. to what you want to use (Like .70 or .73) then you go back and raise Vtt back to what you want to use and MCH Ref will automatically adjust properly.

You want less then .76 (63.% of Stock Vtt) actually, but you do need more Vtt. Vtt at stock is likely your issue more then anything though. At 400 FSB you are going to need more Vtt, try 1.25-1.3

Quote Originally Posted by b_d0za View Post
    I decided to lower my multiplier down to 7 and see what would happen at a higher front side bus of 458 to keep the cpu at about 3.2. I put the RAM at 2.50A which put it at 1145MHz. I put the timings at 5-6-6-18.

I have yet to get the reboot cycle with these settings.

What happens when having the RAM at 2.50A vs one of the B, C or D settings? This was the only one closest to 1150.
    Nothing, it is better if you can use that strap, but if you have to keep those loose timings it may not be worth the trade off. Benchmark them both and see which is best.

Do take advantage of BIOS profiles, they can be a great time and sanity saver. On the MAIN page F11 is save and F12 is load.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    That second method, I quoted above, is how you do MCH Ref. KINDA. You set Vtt to stock, which you already have, then you adjust MCH Ref. to what you want to use (Like .70 or .73) then you go back and raise Vtt back to what you want to use and MCH Ref will automatically adjust properly.

You want less then .76 (63.% of Stock Vtt) actually, but you do need more Vtt. Vtt at stock is likely your issue more then anything though. At 400 FSB you are going to need more Vtt, try 1.25-1.3

Nothing, it is better if you can use that strap, but if you have to keep those loose timings it may not be worth the trade off. Benchmark them both and see which is best.

Do take advantage of BIOS profiles, they can be a great time and sanity saver. On the MAIN page F11 is save and F12 is load.

Okay, I see what you are saying now.

Maybe I should have learned more about these voltage settings before I started. Is there a good thread to read about these in detail? I searched and read but still am confused.

I noticed the CPU Reference goes up as well when I up the CPU Termination (VTT). Should I lower it like the MCH Reference before upping the vtt?

I also noticed that MCH/DRAM Ref., DRAM Termination, Channel A Ref. and Channel B Ref. move up when I up the DRAM Voltage. Maybe they are going too high. Should I lower them before upping the DRAM Voltage?

Thank you for your help.
    Antec Three Hundred
    OCZ StealthXStream 700W
    GA-EP45-UD3P
    Q9650
    Xigmatek S1283
    4x2GB OCZ REAPER 1150
    EVGA 9800 GTX+
    SB X-fi Titanium
    Samsung Sata DVD Burner
    Vista Ultimate x64

After reading some more and messing with my settings I think I am even more confused.

I read ** How to setup CPU/MCH GTL Ref Voltages Vs. EasyTune **

I'm still confused as to whether I should START OUT with settings like this:

CPU Termination 1.2
    CPU Reference .76
    MCH Reference .76

and END UP with settings like this:

CPU Termination 1.3
    CPU Reference .823
    MCH Reference .823

-OR-

START OUT with settings like this:

CPU Termination 1.2
    CPU Reference .70
    MCH Reference .70

and END UP with settings like this (Which is what I think you said(CPU and MCH References at 63% of stock CPU Termination)):

CPU Termination 1.3
    CPU Reference .763
    MCH Reference .763

And the same for RAM. I had been using settings like these for my ram:

DRAM Voltage 2.22
    MCH/DRAM Reference 1.11
    DRAM Termination 1.11
    Channel A Reference 1.11
    Channel B Reference 1.11

But should I lower the MCH/DRAM Reference, DRAM Termination, Channel A Reference and Channel B Reference before upping the DRAM Voltage so I end up with something like this:

DRAM Voltage 2.22
    MCH/DRAM Reference 0.90
    DRAM Termination 0.90
    Channel A Reference 0.90
    Channel B Reference 0.90
    Antec Three Hundred
    OCZ StealthXStream 700W
    GA-EP45-UD3P
    Q9650
    Xigmatek S1283
    4x2GB OCZ REAPER 1150
    EVGA 9800 GTX+
    SB X-fi Titanium
    Samsung Sata DVD Burner
    Vista Ultimate x64

Question Re: EP45-UD3P Ram Question

Can someboy please tell me what are safe voltages for the following:

MCH/DRAM Ref
    DRAM Termination
    Channel A Reference
    Channel B Reference

I was running them at 1.05 up to 1.15 just letting them go up as I upped the DRAM Voltage.

After setting them to stock voltages(0.9) with DRAM voltage at 2.2 I have not been having much luck even with eveything at stock speeds except ram underclocked. It seems they liked the higher voltages. Has anyone needed to raise these from stock?
    Antec Three Hundred
    OCZ StealthXStream 700W
    GA-EP45-UD3P
    Q9650
    Xigmatek S1283
    4x2GB OCZ REAPER 1150
    EVGA 9800 GTX+
    SB X-fi Titanium
    Samsung Sata DVD Burner
    Vista Ultimate x64

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Leave all those you last asked about at Auto.

As for the rest, please see the link in my signature again, that you linked above. I updated it tonight with some more info and examples images from my Review

MCH Ref is what you need to find and get stable before anything else. The rest can be left in auto most always. CPU ref you may or may not need to adjust either until you try for very high FSB or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Leave all those you last asked about at Auto.

As for the rest, please see the link in my signature again, that you linked above. I updated it tonight with some more info and examples images from my Review

MCH Ref is what you need to find and get stable before anything else. The rest can be left in auto most always. CPU ref you may or may not need to adjust either until you try for very high FSB or something like that

Thank you.

I'll see what I can do.
    Antec Three Hundred
    OCZ StealthXStream 700W
    GA-EP45-UD3P
    Q9650
    Xigmatek S1283
    4x2GB OCZ REAPER 1150
    EVGA 9800 GTX+
    SB X-fi Titanium
    Samsung Sata DVD Burner
    Vista Ultimate x64

Have you found a solution to this reboot loop problem? I have the same errors with the loop only on a cold boot after it has set overnight. Once it boots I can reboot flawlessly.

Usually flickers on and off about 10 times, then almost gets to windows twice - bsod's then boots and stays stable until I shut it down.

I have tried upping the voltage on my Ram to 2.0 and then also 2.1 which is requests. Box states 2.0-2.1 I have run memtest with no errors.

I really don't think this is a hardware failure since I can run stable once it finally boots. I think it may be the initial boot and a lack of power. Although I see that you run a 700W with the same problems.

This is a new build similar to yours:

Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    ASUS EN9800GT HB/HTDI/512M GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail

Thanks for the help.

kick is offline Senior Member

The ram termination ram ref etc are all at .900v at auto ie half of the standard 1.8v for ddr2 memory.
    I saw a template advising to put them in at 50% or less of whatever ram voltage u are using .
    Lets say you have dialed in 2.1 v for ram.Then if you put in 1.05 or less for the .900 ref voltages they will move up and down in proportion anytime u change the main ram voltage.
    Next time you reboot if you dial in 2.2v for ram those other voltages will move to1.1 v by themselves..For me personally:auto or non auto makes no difference..
    For example D multipliers I can get very slightly better ram speeds if im not running the memory at exactly 2 times the cpu/fsb reference frequency.
    Things like the skew control 100 ps recomended for synchronisation etc.I dont find any difference.
    Fact is I find the max recommended voltages for cpu/memory and mch give me the best performance overall..
    Thats 1.4 v cpu.1.4v mch 2.28v ram.The ram i run a lot lower than that.

then i move back from those voltages ,until I still stay stable.
    If I knew of some magic settings,id certainly post them. I do have a basic understanding of volts to move the electrons thru the silicon/lower temps to allow faster movement and memory timing to give the memory a chance to catch its "breath" .Other than that some of the advanced dram timings are a mystery to me .I cant see what they do .
    the closest inside information ive seen is memset.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

I have been messing with the bios settings and slowly but surely have been making progress.

I have NOT had a reboot loop since I set these to AUTO:

CPU Ref
    MCH Ref
    MCH/DRAM Ref
    DRAM Termination
    Channel A Ref
    Channel B Ref

I'm not sure which one(s) was the culprit but it seems to have made everything much happier.

I will report back with my bios settings once I find out whether or not I can get it stable where I want it.
    Antec Three Hundred
    OCZ StealthXStream 700W
    GA-EP45-UD3P
    Q9650
    Xigmatek S1283
    4x2GB OCZ REAPER 1150
    EVGA 9800 GTX+
    SB X-fi Titanium
    Samsung Sata DVD Burner
    Vista Ultimate x64

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast