Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EP45-DS3L / Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8500 - unstable union?

Default EP45-DS3L / Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8500 - unstable union?

Hi Guys - I have spent the last week or so reading all your helpful posts trying in vain to sort my computer problems that have been ongoing for nearly two months now.

After 18 hours of stable running, much of it with Memtest chewing up my E8500 CPU, and showing no errors from my 2x1GB DDR2 8500 Ram, I have just had another mystery reset.

Having seen a fair few of these by now I was not surprised that after the system reset itself and I ran Memtest it was continiual errors. To fix that I needed to actually flip the PSU rocker switch and then start up the system, which I've done and now typing this with Memtest running in the background with no errors,,, until who knows when it next happens.

My bios is on defaults and I have been able to do enough analysis to be reasonably sure that my components individually aren't the problem. I think my next step is to muck around with the bios settings but am hoping for some pointers (please)

I wondered if the power reset to "reset" the ram was indicative of any particular known problem.

Please advise what other info required.

cheers, walt_D

EP45-DS3L / Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8500 2x1GB / E8500 / Scythe Infinity / 4870 1GB / Samsung 1TB + .5TB / Enermax Liberty 620W / Silverstone FT01

Default Re: EP45-DS3L / Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8500 - unstable union?

So Memtest gave errors after one crash, but runs fine again now?

That doesn't sound like a RAM issue to me, RAM either works or it doesn't.

Try removing the AC plug and remove the mainboard battery, maybe even over night.

Also try a different PSU if you can.

kick is offline Senior Member

The ep 45-ud3 is fairly forgiving.If you go to far on overclocks and it "resets" and starts "rebooting" the power off switch /saves you having to unplug psu/shorting out cmos.
    I dont see what your overclock figures are ,
    If memtest does 15%+ with no errors you are probably ok.
    Generally what people do is to overclock either the memory first and see what the max is or the cpu.
    Sometimes its unavoidable that you have to do both together,if you have a combination like mine.

Make sure its not the cpu that is causing errors.
    Include figures on vdroop.memory recommended settings/voltages etc,when posting if you can.
    A screenie like the one below is helpful too.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thanks for the replies.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Kick - at this stage I am simply after stable. Will venture into o/c’ing then. In the meantime will try creating the “screenie” you suggest.
    Nickel020 – after a cold start memtest can go for hours and hours without a single error, then after a completely random reboot (no BSOD – it is just like hitting the reset button) if I start up memtest again there will be errors almost immediately. If I just do a restart at this stage then errors in memtest will be evident still. If I break power completely then cold start again I’m back again at no errors until the next random reset.
    I am convinced it is not the ram, and have run native memtest from a boot CD for half a day with zero errors.
    I also have a single 1GB C/B Tracer dimm (the other one of the pair is toast) that will run happily in my system with no errors and no resets. This suggests to me that the problem lies in the Mobo/ram compatibility (on settings used to date) and also steers me away from suspecting the power supply and/or other components. Having said that I will try your “remove the battery” suggestion anyway.
    cheers, walt_D

EP45-DS3L (F10) / Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8500 2x1GB / E8500 / Scythe Infinity / 4870 1GB / Samsung 1TB + .5TB / Enermax Liberty 620W / Silverstone FT01

The fact flipping the rocker switch after one of the random reboots causes memtest to no longer show errors points towards a power related issue. Do you know if there are any problems with power generally in your house? Do lightbulbs flicker sometimes? It could be a problem related with your mains or it could be the PSU itself.

Thanks Nickel020 - We have 5 other systems running in my house without any problems, and no flickering lights either.

Being able to run with the single 1GB dimm of Crucial Ballistix Tracer, for days on end, with no "power" issues had steered me away from this line of thinking - especially given the ample evidence on these boards that memory/motherboard compatibility seems to be a bit hit and miss with these boards and perhaps Crucial Ballistix in particular.

Sourcing a spare PSU is doable but I'd rather try a few voltage tweaks (if anyone has suggestions??) before commiting myself to several hours of Cable Hell ;>(

Thanks again for reply.

cheers, walt_D

EP45-DS3L (F10) / Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8500 2x1GB / E8500 / Scythe Infinity / 4870 1GB / Samsung 1TB + .5TB / Enermax Liberty 620W / Silverstone FT01

Since you're not overclocking I'm pretty sure default settings are absolutely fine for you (it's extremely rare that they don't work). Somehting you should make sure though is that your BIOS is running default settings - maybe your board was a return and it still has BIOS settings from someone else in there. Go to the BIOS and load optimized defaults and see if that helps. Also set the RAM to DDR2 800 manually by setting the system memory multiplier to 2.0B.
    If it doesn't I would go straigth to trying another PSU.

Thanks Nickel020, I've decided to "chill" for a couple of days with the single 1GB stick and some welcome stability. I see some irony in that if I charged my time out at a conservative $20 p/hr I could have bought a dozen new boards by now for all the time I have wasted on this.

If the machine runs stable for 72 hours or so would you still point me in the direction of the psu? I don't follow the logic, but prepared to give anything a try.

cheers, walt_D

EP45-DS3L (F10) / Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8500 1x1GB / E8500 / Scythe Infinity / 4870 1GB / Samsung 1TB + .5TB / Enermax Liberty 620W / Silverstone FT01

I agree that the PSU that the PSU is less likely to cause this, but I do not want to exclude this as the only alternative is the board itself. RAM itself is unlikely I think since it makes no sense then that one stick is more stable each by itself, they should be equally usntable if both sticks were defective (if just one were defective the system would be completely stable with that one).
    If the PSU provides unstable voltage it can cause the system to become unstable. The higher the load on the system the more likely it will crash. Two sticks of RAM also increase the load on the memory controller in the NB and it will be more prone to crashes due to unstable voltages the higher the load on it is.
    This is also why good PSUs are recommended for overclocking. Cheaper PSUs may be OK for stock, but more stable voltages can make one hell of a a difference when overclocking.

bump (of sorts)

over 4 days of either constant load or general everyday use and not a single problem, so I would like to park the suggestion this is psu related and ask again for some help/suggestions around compatibility of my board and ram.

Just to recap, I have two sets of 2x1GB of ram. One pair is a couple of years old and only 1 dimm still working - it is that single 1GB that I have been running successfully with for the last 4 days.

My other pair of 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer (bought to replace the old stuff) won't work in this system. If you refer to my first post I've described the problem in some detail.

So my question is what does anyone suggest (bios wise) that might allow this ram to run on this board.

btw does anyone from Gigabyte frequest this forum - am I raising this issue in the right place???

cheers, walt_D

p.s. thank goodness the weekend is here and I can waste another 30 hours trying to get this to work ;>)

EP45-DS3L (F10) / Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8500 1x1GB / E8500 / Scythe Infinity / 4870 1GB / Samsung 1TB + .5TB / Enermax Liberty 620W / Silverstone FT01

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information