Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you guys use dynamic energy saver?

Default do you guys use dynamic energy saver?

I only get a savings of like 6W every 5 hrs, not sure it's even worth it.

any opinions?

Default Re: do you guys use dynamic energy saver?

The power savings are surely minimal. The only difference i see DES do besides what windows and the cpu already accomplish is that when you click on "cpu throttling" it makes the board run on 1 less phase then it normally does. Put it this way my Kill-A-Watt meter shows no difference what soever between DES on or off. So its basically the minimal amount that DES says which is really nothing.

Anyway yes I currently use it, lol
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

I don't currently use it since it can cause several problems like DPC latency issue and it may interfere with overclocking.

I hear that it can cause some very noticeable power savings on overclocked rigs though so I will try using it again in the future.

the only thing that slightly annoyed me was that since it puts the computer in a low power state, my Power LED kept blinking as if it was in sleep mode, even though it wasn't... coupled with the fact i only saved a few watts, i just turned it off

DES only provides worthwhile power savings if you're running at stock. At stock, DES will dynamically undervolt the CPU if you enable that option. This is where the main power savings come from. Once you do any CPU overclocking, that option is removed and you're left with dynamic power phases. What you give up in stability is not worth the minimal power savings (0-2W is what I've measured). There are a couple other options in the DES software, but those just enable/disable settings in the BIOS. (I'm referring to DES Advanced on the EP45-UD3P).

Well the guy running jzelectronic.de told me that DES can reduce idle power consumption when overclocking, and if you know him you know that he's one of the most knowledgable guys on GB boards anywhere.

It still undervolts when OC'd. I sit in windows with .880v running 6x400=2.4Ghz on my Q9650.

Now last I checked if you change the vcore from auto or normal it only under volts to 1.1v
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedEuphoria View Post
    It still undervolts when OC'd. I sit in windows with .880v running 6x400=2.4Ghz on my Q9650.

Now last I checked if you change the vcore from auto or normal it only under volts to 1.1v
    Interesting...I was only able to get <0.9v at stock speed. Once I overclock, the 3 small buttons under the dynamic voltage section of the DES graphical interface disappears. I have vcore on normal, since AUTO overvolts the chip too much.

Do you still get the min/mid/max selection under the CPU voltage section of DES Advanced even while running 400Mhz? And are you running Auto vcore?
    Last edited by davidh44; 02-28-2009 at 08:48 AM.

On my X58, voltage only throttles down if I enable C1e and keep auto (default) voltage, which works upto 3.675 Ghz. Above, only the cpu multi throttles down.

Otherwise, I also disabled DES because it was giving me audio crackling (High DPC latency) in some situations.
    Windows 7 Pro 64 | OCZ Vertex 120 | Cosmos S
    Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 (F6) | Enermax Revolution85+ 1050w
    i7 2600k | 2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | EVGA GTX570 SC
    Apogee XT | Magicool 360 Radiator | MCP35x Pump + v.2 Res

Quote Originally Posted by davidh44 View Post
    Interesting...I was only able to get <0.9v at stock speed. Once I overclock, the 3 small buttons under the dynamic voltage section of the DES graphical interface disappears. I have vcore on normal, since AUTO overvolts the chip too much.

Do you still get the min/mid/max selection under the CPU voltage section of DES Advanced even while running 400Mhz? And are you running Auto vcore?

Yes for me, if I leave the vcore on "normal" it will still undervolt at idle. The 3 settings do disappear though but from my kill-a-watt it doesnt make a difference for those 3 settings. If I raise the Vcore it will not lower voltage any longer and only reduce multi like C3D76 says

It worked the same with my E8400 also.

I would post a screene but I'm encoding video currently, amazingly only uses ~10w more than idle running at 6x400 65% average cpu usage(4cores), I'm dl'ing stuff so the comp is on anyway thats why I'm not using full speed. Heck I play most games at 2.4Ghz also, lol. Oh hold on I think I have one: It jumps around from .880v to .912v mostly.

I will have to do some testing with the audio. I have tested that DPC latency and it was high but I have no issues with playback of movies using sound over HDMI from my 4850. Also have no issues playing music from onboard audio to speakers or in games. But today I was using digital coax out and noticed noise when switching tracks in MP. I'll try later with des off and uninstalled also.
    Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 02-28-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information