Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P Cold boot problem

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P Cold boot problem

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    Thanks for your help guys, its much appreciated.

VorLonUK, My RAMs EPP rating is 1066 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1V which is what I have it running at. Would it be worth my while running my RAM at 2.25V? tRFC = 56......check
    Is 2.25volts the result of just one increment above 2.1volts?

I always recommend (as per Corsair and OCZ) that you start out using less DDR voltage rather than more (say start at 1.9volts - ddr2). The label on the modules usually indicates either the maximum warrantied voltage or the maximum required on "their set up" to achieve the advertised speeds etc.

Some boards/memory combinations don't need to be run "flat out" (voltage wise) to attain stability, although some do.

If though at 2.1 volts you have no memtest errors, yet bootup is still sketchy, I would personally increment the DDR2 voltage just one notch to see what happens, even if that may take the voltage outside its warrantied range.

Also in addition to Performance Enhance = standard, and tRFC = 56, you could for test purposes, try the main timings at 5-5-5-18.

One other thing you could do to prove a point is install HWmonitor and run it immediately after windows is loaded. If like with my setup, HWmonitor can interpret your DDR2 voltage, then over a 20 minute period from cold you may see that voltage rise. As Hwmonitor has min, nom & max "recording" you can easily see what things were when the PC was cold.
    This may (as it did for me) give you an idea why bootup and/or OS startup is troublesome.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    Is 2.25volts the result of just one increment above 2.1volts?
    That it is.....

Boot up seems to be ok at this VCore so I think I might leave it. Thanks for all your help though, I will give HWMonitor a try and get post back if results are bad.

That it is.....

Boot up seems to be ok at this VCore so I think I might leave it. Thanks for all your help though, I will give HWMonitor a try and get post back if results are bad.
    You mean ddr2 voltage rather than vCore?
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    You mean ddr2 voltage rather than vCore?
    yes I do lol

Ok, I am about to take my clock higher.

Gonna try 3.2 which is a 360 FSB. My question is what do I do with the MCH freq latch?

The options are 200, 266, 333, 400...is this based on the CPU freq? What should I have it set to with an FSB of 360? I can work out an appropriate Memory Multiplier if I knew this.

Its important as I think it was one of the main issues with my original problem.

Ok, I am about to take my clock higher.

Gonna try 3.2 which is a 360 FSB. My question is what do I do with the MCH freq latch?

The options are 200, 266, 333, 400...is this based on the CPU freq? What should I have it set to with an FSB of 360? I can work out an appropriate Memory Multiplier if I knew this.

Its important as I think it was one of the main issues with my original problem.
    There are some anandtech article links on here somewhere and other posts that explain the p45 bios and the MCH latch. Some settings will give you greater memory throughput and that can be compared using the Everest memory subsuite of tests. Some latch settings at a given frequency can cause instability or even memtest errors, especially when overclocking.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3208&p=6
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 02-18-2009 at 05:19 AM.

Hmm I am struggling to get stable above 3.0Ghz

my systems is stable at these settings:

FSB : 333MHz
    multiplier : x9
    DRAM : 1066MHz
    Memory Multiplier : 3.20B
    MCH Frequency Latch : 333Mhz
    RAM Divider : 5 : 8

Vcore : 1.31V
    RAM voltage and timings : 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1V

tRRD : 6
    tWTR : 6
    tWR : 8
    tRFC : 56
    tRTP : 6
    Command Rate : 2

I tried increasing the SB to 350, which booted into windows but BSODed when trying to run Prime95.

What settings from the following should I change to get this stable. I also tried 360 FSB but that wouldn't even boot into windows. Not sure if I need a Vcore increase or whether my MCH Frequency Latch is wrong, making my memory unstable.

Help would be appreciated

You can try a different MCH Frequency latch like 266 or 400 and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help I would just try to load optimized defaults and start from scratch. I have a feeling that there sometimes are BIOS bugs where you change a setting and the BIOS will show that setting but actually run another one. That's the only explanation I have why entering the same settings again after a "load optimized defaults" sometimes fixes a problem like this.

I am so confused about the Frequency Latch, sorry to sound like a noob. Mine is at 333MHz, now. I dont understand how making this less would help? I take it it has nothing to do with the CPU then, it is a memory/NB think only?

It has to do with the FSB, the memory and the northbridge since the northbridge is what connects the memory to the CPU via the FSB. Hope this makes more sense now.
    It's like a timings setting for the northbridge, lower is faster but not always stable. Like some of the other stranger timings (tRD) the higher and slower setting may not work though even though the faster ones does.
    If you check, not all memory dividers are available for every latch setting, that's why it's included in the system memory setting. The frequency latch setting is kind of unecessary though since when set to manual it will cause the system memory multiplier to only show settings for that latch (but all settings when set to auto). All it does is filter the settings in the system memory multiplier setting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information