Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P Cold boot problem

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P Cold boot problem

ok so its academic? It doesn't really change much in terms of boot, its just there for a filter?

Lower the faster....ah I had no idea thanks. Currently trying to get my Q6600 stable over 3.0GHz, will post back if things get tricky again.

Lower is faster if everything else stays the same. Think of it as something like the RAM timings, where lower is faster but won't always work at higher speeds.

I am running :

FSB :400MHz
    multiplier : x8
    DRAM : 800MHz
    Memory Multiplier : 2.00B
    MCH Frequency Latch : 400Mhz
    RAM Divider : 1:1

As you know I have been having trouble booting into windows with an FSB higher than 350, but this seems fine. However, I ran prime95 over night and this morning it had rebooted into windows telling me it had recovered from and unexpected shut down (BSOD for sure). I dont understand why my system is having so much trouble running any clock higher than 3.0GHz?

My RAM is under clocked so it can't be that?

My CPU Revision is B3, is that a problem? I heard its the G0 revision chips that are the real overclockers.

Did you start again from scratch?

Although B3 is worse, it should have no problem at all achieving an FSB of over 350.

Also please list your rig in the sig, I don't want to go through the whole thread and check for your hardware again every time I post so I don#t write anything wrong. I can't remember all the hardware of everyone around here unfortunately...
    I haven't checked if you told us your PSU yet, but ti could well be your PSU. Quality PSUs and stable voltages are extremely important for overclocking.

Hi Peak,

I have a P35-DQ6, a Q6600 G0, 8GB OCZ 6400 DDR2 in my setup and I have watercooling but that doesn't matter for much except temperatures.
    If you are on the stock Intel heatsink and fan, then you might not want to go higher than 3.0ghz.
    Please let us know what cooler and PSU(power supply) you have.

Regarding overclocking, where you have 4gb RAM, you sometimes have to relax the timings after a certain FSB, or increase the voltage after a certain FSB for the system to boot and then for the system to be stable you tweak the settings, usually lowering the values until you get a crash and then set it one notch higher.

For the RAM, I would set the voltage to whatever it asks for on the packaging/website and then set the timings as requested to also. Up the FSB until it wont boot, then try adding some extra cpu vCore and try to boot. If it still wont boot with extra vCore then you should up the MCHv (northbridge, where the memory controller usually is on intel systems) so that the chipset has enough juice to run the FSB, timings and still talk stable to the southbridge.

The more RAM you have and the more hard drives you have, the higher you will need the MCHv to be to stay stay and not cause random bluescreens or data corruption.

There is more to it that these simple steps but they are the general steps for overclocking, of course you have MANY more options in the bios to tweak for extra stability or extra mhz at the top end of the overclocking spectrum.

Hi Peaks,
    Please follows Nickel020's advice and start from scratch after loading optimized defaults.
    The cold boot problem is definetely RAM related. Although Ive got no experience with
    DDR2 settings would recommend raising MCH voltage +0.2V for 4GB.
    Try memory multiplier 3.00B or 4.00B for FSB below 400MHz.
    There is also issue with intel quads running at 400MHz - use 390MHz or 415MHz
    or anything not on the strap.
    If DDR2 voltage 2.25V makes your PC somewhat more stable then instead of
    raising it more try increasing main memory timings a bit. Launch CPU-Z and read
    DDR2 profile for the desired FSB then enter them manually in the BIOS.
    Don't believe blindly to your RAM specs advertised.

oh thanks for all your help guys. Yes I did load optimized defaults and start again. My power supply is an OCZ GameXStream 600W, and I am using the this cooler:

Zalman CNPS9700-NT nVidia Tritium CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940/AM2/LGA775)

I am going to try out all the suggestions you guys have given me, plus a few of my own and see what happens. Obviously gotta run some stability tests so will update in the morning :) thanks again

Back again with more instability:

I have tried the following:

Timings : 6-6-6-18
    VDIMM : 2.1V
    VCore : 1.31V
    MCHv : 1.16v
    Load Line Calibration : Enabled

This cause blue screens in Prime95

then I tried :

Timings : 6-6-6-18
    VCore : 1.318V - INCREASE
    MCHv : 1.16v

This cause errors after 4 minutes

I then tried playing around with the Vcore and MCHv. First i increase the VCore and the MCHv but still got blue screens and windows shut downs after about 20 minutes in prime95.

Here come the questions:

what is a safe value to increase the Vcore? the same goes for the MCHv?
    Can I safely say that RAM isn't the problem as timings are loose and it is under clocked? Is it possible to provide RAM with too much voltage, causing errors?
    Q6600 @ 3.0GHz | Zalman CNPS9700-NT Titanium Cooler | GA-EP45-UD3P | Sapphire HD4870 1GB | 4GB (2 x 2GB) OCZ PC2-8500C5 1066MHz DRR2 |OCZ GameXstream 600W |

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

This cannot happen as there is no "B" Choices for the 400 strap >>>
    2.00B is on the 333 strap. Running 400 FSB you may find it much easier to use the 400/D Strap (2.00D) and not 2.00B

So in order to stop this confusion you should use Auto for MCH and just choose your memory multi by strap letters (At least I find that easier, I guess some would not) Here they are >>>

Please post your FULL settings for me and I can better advise you >>>

Safe voltages....

For the CPU I would say 1.425ish on Air (Actual shown in CPU-z), but that may be a bit warm for your cooler

And MCH for that board 1.35ish on Air, if you add a fan 1.4 may be ok but I would not advise it. For 2x2 you will only need 1.2-1.28 depending on your FSB. You likely need to adjust your MCH Ref voltage %. Please see my sig on how to do this, and try out .685-.73 and see if it helps

AH thanks for all the replys. I have been away for a while so sorry for the late response, took me a while to find this thread lol.

I am currently running a stability test on these settings:

DRAM : 1066MHz
    Memory Multiplier : 2.20D
    MCH Frequency Latch : Auto
    Timings : 5-5-5-15
    Memory Profile : Profile2
    VCore : 1.49V
    MCHv : 1.18v
    MCH Ref : 0.48v

I couldn't boot with my MCH ref any lower then what I have it set to now. Will get back with results, I am sure it will fail though :( Anything glaringly wrong with this?
    Q6600 @ 3.0GHz | Zalman CNPS9700-NT Titanium Cooler | GA-EP45-UD3P | Sapphire HD4870 1GB | 4GB (2 x 2GB) OCZ PC2-8500C5 1066MHz DRR2 |OCZ GameXstream 600W |

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information