Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P Cold boot problem

Angry GA-EP45-UD3P Cold boot problem

I am running a Q6600 @ 3.00Ghz (333 x9) with 2x2GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 1066Mhz RAM.

I can run stable at these settings but on a cold boot it never boots first time. Instead it shuts off power and boots again. I have read that this is a common problem with gigabyte boards but my research has never come up with viable options for my model MoBo.

Any help would be appreciate, plus I can give any other information that you guys might want in order to help me.

Thanks in advance, p

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P Cold boot problem

So it does actually do a cold boot fine but has to boot twice to actually do so? Do you completely cut of the AC power after shutting down the PC? it would be perfectly normal then for the system to try booting but reboot after a few seconds to then boot normally.
    This is not a GB issue though, it's intended by Intel.

Well this morning I tried booting after my computer ad been off for about 9 hours, with power to the PSU still on and it didn't boot first time, although i don't get any error warnings when entering the BIOS and the settings are all the same.

Why do Intel have this second Boot when power is switched off to the PSU, have never noticed that before?

It happens when you overclock and the FSB is run at higher than stock. The chipset needs to change the "strap" which is a set of internal chipset timings. You can try using an "A" system memory multiplier to force the system not to change the strap and see if that is stable.

Yea i have it set to 333Mhz using the MCH Frequency Latch, that makes no difference. It is strange, sometimes it boots fine, sometimes it boots twice but it fine, sometimes it boots and resets the BIOS due to an overclock or over voltage error???

I have heard a lot of people saying that it is due to the Latency USB support, but I have disabled that and it does nothing. I am at a lose really....

It resetting the OC settings shouldn't happen. Are those settings 100% Prime 95 stable (8+ hours)? or does the resetting only work with the 266 strap/latch?

It seems to be stable now, although there is still a double boot when the power to the PSU is turned off?

What solved it seems to be Latency USB Support disabled, and Latch to 333Mhz. Gonna take the clock higher see if there are any changes.

Thanks for your help.

Don't worry about any double boots, they're perfectly normal. You say you've got the latch to 333 and it's normal that it double boots after AC power cutoff, it "forgets" teh strap setting when power is cut off and needs to change it when booting but it needs to reboot to apply the change, hence the double boot.

I remember hearing that legacy USB support could sometimes "fix" this, I need to try and remember that ;)

Also what voltage are you running the OCZ memory at? Sometimes there can be an offset of upto around 150mV (0.15v) between a cold and hot motherboard (in regard to ddr2 voltage). If your memory is on the "threshold" of working correctly, it may well show up as a problem when you cold boot.

Also you should set in the bios (if you haven't already)

1) Performance Enhance = Standard
    2) tRFC = 56 (Refresh To Act Delay) for 4GB
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 02-17-2009 at 06:39 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Thanks for your help guys, its much appreciated.

VorLonUK, My RAMs EPP rating is 1066 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1V which is what I have it running at. Would it be worth my while running my RAM at 2.25V? tRFC = 56......check

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information