Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple probs with GA-EX58 Extreme :(

Question Multiple probs with GA-EX58 Extreme :(

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm new here, so hello to all. :)

I recently bought a core i7 system with a Gigabyte GA-EX58 board. I've had nothing but issues with it, but I've managed to oversome some of them. Please allow me to list the issues I've been having:

- Unable to boot from CD when Onbaord SATA is set to AHCI mode (must set to IDE mode) - UNRESOLVED with F5g

- System hangs at POST before even identifying CPU when I plug in USB devices such as a:
    ---Western Digital 320GB 2.5" Portable HDD (Model: WDXMS3200TN) UNRESOLVED with F5g
    ---USB hub/charger that came with MS Wireless Entertainment Desktop 8000 that acts as the charger and holds the bluetooth dongle for mouse and keyboard. UNRESOLVED with F5g
    More info: Regular USB mouse and USB keyboard work ok, USB Flash Drive works ok, bluetooth dongle mentioned above works ok when plugged into a USB port directly.

- Several issues with DES Advanced crashing and Easy Tune 6 crashing. Attributed to Vista BLdr, why do you think that is? Very strange if you ask me. I've moved to Windows 7 in the meantime. I'm not sure this is BIOS board related hopefully someone can shed some light on this please. Using VOATK tools on my old slipstreamed copy allowed me to get DES to work but could never get Easy Tune 6 to go. "GUI MFC Application has stopped working"

- Unable to install Operating system in RAID mode, using RAID 0 with 2x HDD's - had to create the RAID array then 'disable' the RAID setting to get the OS to install. This was with onbaord SATA set to IDE as well. Was able to enable the setting afterwards and everything was ok. Wierd?

- Unable to get AHCI mode working under Windows 7 even after the msachi reg key change, and even after installing Intel Matrix and the Giga sata drivers... That actually did work under Vista x64 though. I'm not overly hyped about IDE emulation although I don't see any benefits for me from AHCI, NCQ, hot plugging anyway. But am I losing some speed from my devices by running in IDE mode? I would have thought so. I can't bench it now obviously since the system BSOD's when I try to enable AHCI.

Has anyone else had similar experiences and can anyone provide any workarounds? Especially for the USB devices causing the system to hang at POST? Anyone?

Cheers

Salada

Default Re: Multiple probs with GA-EX58 Extreme :(

You are not alone. I've been fighting the IDE/AHCI issue for at least 5 Win7 and 5 XP Pro SP3 installs with no resolution. My board is the GA-EX58-UD4P Rev 1.0 I tried installing XP Pro with the Intel Matrix driver slipstreamed and also via F6 with a floppy and my 2 Seagates (320GB 7200.10 and 750GB 7200.11) still show up as IDE drives in device manager under properties. However my WD Raptor 150 does show up as a SATA drive on the jmicron (white) SATA ports. When I move the Raptor over to the Intel (blue) ports, it shows up as IDE. In the BIOS I have set "SATA/RAID" to AHCI. Enabled "Native IDE". Enabled "Onboard SATA/IDE Device", and set Controller to AHCI. Is this normal or am I missing something or just a bad board. BTW - I did check my Seagates to make sure the jumper is set at 3.0 GB.

Sounds like there should be a new club started up, the X58 DOA Club. I have similar problems with SATA DVD Drives in AHCI mode. Its real easy to fix. Forget about AHCI and set your Drive to Native and be down with it. AHCI really doesnt make much real world benifits at all (from what I researched on this forum when I was having dramas)

Get the disk that has DES and Easy Tuner on it and Put it in the Microwave on High for 1 minute. That will imporve the performance of everything. Delete all that shiite from you system please.

I repeat AHCI mode is a waste of time. I average higher disk performance on my 7200.11 1tb Seagate using IDE mode with Native Enabled in the Bios then in the specs. 120Mb/s hooraa. Make sure the Jumper is removed or set to 3gb first obviously.

With installing under raid. you will need to install the Raid drivers for bindows before the installation can start, do this in the setup screen and click the option that is for it, cant remember what its called exactly. Its there, bottom left.

DISABLE LEGACY USB BOOT DEVICE or something like that in the BIOS. Your USB Drives will work sweet in bindows but it just mess' with POST. The USB thing may also be something to do with your USB Charger thingy for your mouse.

Make sure you have enabled USB Keyboard and Mouse support.

Yeah Give that a go. It should sort out your issues as using DES and Easy Tuner are so bad its not funny. If you want to overclock your PC do it in the BIOS. People will help you here. If you want to save power, plant a tree. And your computer.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

From what I've read I'd have to agree about getting no extra 'performance' from AHCI but I'm yet to conduct my own tests on my own system. The best thing I heard about it the reduction in CPU overhead but my i7 system cares not as it laughs at such little CPU overhead anyway. :D

Yes now I'm running Windows 7 I see that EasyTune is OK but DES energy saving benefits are negligible. Don't get me wrong; I WILL overclock in the BIOS like any real man but having never been able to run EasyTune and having never seen it before ever, I was annoyed by the fact it would not run. And like anyone who's been in IT for as long as I have, it's more of a challenge than anything else anyway :)

Interesting your performance results with your AHCI tests, thank you very much for sharing that.

In regards to RAID, I could not get the system to get past 'Verifying DMI Pool Data' before I'd installed Vista x64 and having created my RAID array and having RAID mode enabled in the BIOS. I was also plagued at exactly the same time by the fact my BD drive would not boot from the DVD due to having AHCI set in the BIOS. Gotta love having 2 problems at the same time both messing with you.

As for the disabling of the Legacy USB Boot Device unfortuantely I do not seem to have that option in the BIOS. Please don't forget I mentioned that having the devices I talked about earlier plugged in cause the system to hang at POST, so it's not even getting close to the stage of booting of them. This has to be a BIOS bug, and if I took a guess, I'd say that during POST the USB ports among other are being probed and when some devices are plugged in the BIOS is receiving responses from them that it does not know how to deal with and therefore crashes the whole system during POST. That's ugly, real ugly.

I have legacy USB keyboard and mouse support enabled.

I hope that Gigabyte can rectify this quickly before I return this board and change back to ASUS. I was really keen to break away from ASUS for once and give something else a try. This board ticked all the boxes for me. It's such a shame that these issues are 'dealbreakers'.

If anyone else has any suggestions please post them up here!!! Many thanks :)

I dont know much about the RAID stuff, but I can tell you that when I had AHCI active my SATA DVD Drive wouldnt work Either. Dont know. LSDMEASAP May be able to help ( TweakTown Forums - View Profile: Lsdmeasap ) hes real clued up on this stuff. I understand what your saying about Easy Tuner and having to overcome issues Im like that, If i cant get something to work or have an issue I usually stay up all night till i figure it out. ANd it usually works at around 3am. But I have slackend off since Vista as Id never get any sleep ever.

Microsoft better give me a free copy of Windows 7 when it comes out to get me out of vista or there will be blood.
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

SATA issue resolved. As it turns out Windows device manager inaccurately reports the HDD as IDE. When I open the Intel Matrix Storage Console under advanced mode it reports both Seagates "Current Serial Transfer Mode as Generation 2". Intels support site states
    "While the Serial ATA controller may be operating at a higher transfer speed, it may claim to be operating in a slower parallel ATA transfer mode. All versions of Windows prior to Windows Server 2003 have support for Emulating Parallel ATA mode. For additional information refer to Serial ATA in the Microsoft Operating System Environment.*"
    Desktop Boards - Troubleshooting Serial ATA / RAID issues
    That being said I can now move on with the sound issue which I'll try reinstalling the Realtec drivers from Gigabyte's site.

Well atleast someones having some luck somewere. That is wiered though hey^^^ you would think that they could just fix the porblem, since its obviously been an issue for years?
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

NimrodAUS,

So it's not just my drive/mobo combo then. That's good to know. My (Pioneer BDC-S202) drive is fine in windows with AHCI enabled, but defiitely will not boot CD's/DVD's when AHCI mode is enabled in the BIOS. So I guess AHCI is proving to be nothing but a total pain in the butt.

cptblackeye,

Great to hear you are having some luck!

As far as this USB device causing the system to crash on POST thing goes, if I can fix that, I think I'll be happy. There's another guy on here (http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ex58...b-stick-29904/) that's having similar issues on the x58 UD5 so it seems I'm not alone.

What I wonder is: Is it faulty? Or is it something that will be fixed by a BIOS update? I don't know if I should return my board for another ex58 Extreme or just wait and see if a BIOD update fixes it......???

Can anyone else out there with a Giga x58 board please try and see if any USB devices you might have kicking around cause your system to crash at POST?

I am just curious....If you buy an IDE CD/DVD drive, would you have the same issue? I have 2 DVD drives that are IDE so do you think I will be able to activate AHCI?

Well As Previously stated AHCI is only really of any benifit if you are going to HOT SWAP your SATA Drives. However I know what its like to have a problem that you want to solve. But Sometimes they just cant (ie Bindows Vista). I dont think it would be a problem if you were using an "IDE" DVD Drive but who knows. After Trying a few things and googling and looking on Tweak town I gave up on AHCI and im happy I did. On Gigabyte Boards it increases your Bindows Boot time buy a noticable amount.

As for the USB thing. well, Aside from disabling USB Legacy Boot, IDK what else to do. Wait for F55 Bios? lol
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information