Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 and OCZ3G1333LV6GK

Default Gigabyte EX58-UD5 and OCZ3G1333LV6GK

• CPU model and rated speed:-Intel i7 920
    • Overclocked CPU speed:-2.66
    • Divider and FSB used:-
    • Memory:-OCZ3G1333LV6GK 3 x 2GB
    • Motherboard and revision:-Gigabyte EX58-UD5
    • Motherboard Bios rev:-F4
    • Video card:-Powercolor HD 4670
    • Power supply:-Coolmaster Extreme 460W
    • Operating System:-Vista 64-Bit SP1
    • CPU and System Cooling:-Stock Cooler
    • CPU and System temps:-38?
    • Purchased at/on:-UK - 13th Feb 2009
    • Memory voltage:-1.64

I'm having a problem with my above set-up.

It seems when I first boot up after it being shut down for a while, I get artefacts on the low res boot up screen and post screens, which eventually results in a BSOD when I log into Vista.

Switching it off for a few seconds then restarting from cold again seems to resolve this.

However, running Prime95 on blend setting has failed after 1hr 9mins.

I've posted on the OCZ support forum, and they suggested upping the memory voltage from 1.5V to 1.65V and then running memtest86. I've done that and it did a full pass on the memory (it took an hour) and found no problems.

I've got the memory set to 9-9-9-20 with the voltage at 1.64 whereas the mobo wants it at 7-7-7-16 at 1.5V. Also, the mobo has the memory set at 1066 when its rated at 1333?

Any ideas what I should do? I'm a bit of a newbie so I am a bit stuck.

Default Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 and OCZ3G1333LV6GK

Do you have another video card you could try? Artifacts sound like a video card issue to me. I got artifacts of a defective video card a while back, IIRC they could have been there on the Windows laoding screen already.
    It could also be the PSU. In fact, it is probably the PSU when I look at this review. Try another one if you can and learn to never again be stingy when buying a PSU. ;)

Thanks for that. I wondered if it could be the PSU - that review reckons it delivers more like 430W? I calculated my components should only need 300W though? Is it too close for comfort?

I have a (cheaper!) 500W PSU in another computer I could try - would that be worth doing?

As regards the graphics card - I did try it with my old nvidia 6600 and I didn't get artefacts, but did get a BSOD. The artefacts with the 4670 are random, they only seem to appear when I first boot up. Again does that suggest dodgy power? It could be our houses wiring as much as anything! (It goes back a bit!).

Thanks for you help.

If you uninstalled drivers properly before trying the 6600 then it's not the video card. In that case I would try the other PSU, maybe it's better.

OK. So I think the PSU was defo a problem. I've replaced it with a new 800W beast and had no BSOD's so far.

I've got the motherboard to set the memory timings, but set the memory voltage myself to the rated 1.65V. It passes memtest86 fine from boot. However, prime95 only runs for about an hour before I get an error. The CPU temp is hitting no more than 80C which from what I have read is to be expected.

Have I got a problem elsewhere? I'm not really sure what to do next.

I think I've solved it, and it boils down to two problems.

1. Don't skimp on the PSU! The Coolermaster 460W obviously wasn't powerful enough.
    2. The EX58-UD5 doesn't detect the OCZ memory timings correctly - once I manually set the board to the rated timings and voltage (i.e. 9-9-9-20 at 1.65V and 1333) then all was well.

I was able to run Prime95 for 7 hours without a problem.

However, I did get the artefacts back when I first booted this morning. I shutdown and restart (instead of logging into vista) and it was fine. Could that have anything to do with Energy saving settings?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice to see you found the issues here!

Ya, Energy saving features could be starving your card or PCIE Slots, ya never know. They are supposed to be for the CPU only, but I would imagine when the Power Phases are cut down this could likely effect other items

Thread Information