Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Multiplier forced to 6x on EP45-UD3R (should be 9x)

Default Re: Multiplier forced to 6x on EP45-UD3R (should be 9x)

Quote Originally Posted by acarcia81 View Post
    Sorry, I meant changing the CPU Cooler.
    Just a thought......

As often aftermarket Cpu Coolers have larger and therefore slower rpm fans (for a given airflow), some bioses may assume the CPU fan isn't running at all, especially if it's a PWM type and setup as "Auto" mode in the bios.

In theory it would be a good idea to lean on the side of caution if the bios interpreted that a CPU fan wasn't running and reduce the CPU multiplier accordingly so that just passive cooling would protect the CPU.
    However I DON'T know if that is the case and of course those using Passive or Water Cooling methods, would have to attach a "dummy" fan to "trick" the bios.

One way that may prove/indicate that this scenario does in fact exist, is to set the CPU fan if it's in PWM "Auto" mode to a normal or fixed mode, so that the fan is essentially then running at it's full speed. Likely (even if its a large fan 120mm+) it's full rated speed would easily be enough to satisfy most bioses that it is indeed running (if it didn't before).

But as i said above "its justs a thought", as it was mentioned both posters had changed their Cpu coolers. Of course changing a Cpu Cooler can result in other effects, ie from general damage to Cooler misalignment. So although a multiplier reduction would be a great protection mechanism (especially for low TDP 45nm cpu's) against a CPU Cooler malfunctioning, whilst still letting the PC boot, it likely isn't implemented.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Default Re: Multiplier forced to 6x on EP45-UD3R (should be 9x)

Sorry got home late so couldnt test/check some things. Will try again tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedEuphoria View Post
    What are your temps, its possible that the pushpins are not fully seated so it downclocks to 6x. Please check in pc health in bios to see the idle temps.

Also on the PSU, well its used so its always a consideration. How long have you had it.
    Thanks for the tip, pushpins fully seated and locked to MB. CPU temps in the 30's in BIOS. Temps stay in the 30 - 40 range under 100%-both cores (still running @ 2GHz thats why). When everything WAS running fine, it was 58 - 60 under 100%-both cores @3GHz. Using CoreTemp in XP. PSU seems fine and stable; just over a year old. Dont have any laying around campatible with this MB that I can test with at the moment. Still want to test reducing the load on it.

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    Just a thought......

As often aftermarket Cpu Coolers have larger and therefore slower rpm fans (for a given airflow), some bioses may assume the CPU fan isn't running at all, especially if it's a PWM type and setup as "Auto" mode in the bios.

In theory it would be a good idea to lean on the side of caution if the bios interpreted that a CPU fan wasn't running and reduce the CPU multiplier accordingly so that just passive cooling would protect the CPU.
    However I DON'T know if that is the case and of course those using Passive or Water Cooling methods, would have to attach a "dummy" fan to "trick" the bios.

One way that may prove/indicate that this scenario does in fact exist, is to set the CPU fan if it's in PWM "Auto" mode to a normal or fixed mode, so that the fan is essentially then running at it's full speed. Likely (even if its a large fan 120mm+) it's full rated speed would easily be enough to satisfy most bioses that it is indeed running (if it didn't before).

But as i said above "its justs a thought", as it was mentioned both posters had changed their Cpu coolers. Of course changing a Cpu Cooler can result in other effects, ie from general damage to Cooler misalignment. So although a multiplier reduction would be a great protection mechanism (especially for low TDP 45nm cpu's) against a CPU Cooler malfunctioning, whilst still letting the PC boot, it likely isn't implemented.
    Tried stock cooler as well with same multiplier result. Arctic Cooler Pro CPU fan ~2400 rpm I think. I dont remember exactly off the top of my head; it was just a littler higher than stock. Using the full speed setting in the BIOS did not work well. I tried that when I orignally installed the components (before any of this multiplier problem) and the RPM took a dive and the CPU alarm I set went off (meaning the full speed was more like a crawl causing the dissapation from the heatsink to be drastically reduced resulting in the core temp increase). Just a reminder this is a brand new RMA'd CPU (meaning 2nd one); right out of the box into the socket. So the CPU doest not appear to be the culprit.

I really appreciate the ideas. I want to know the problem as well wanting to have a fully functioning (at proper specs anyway) computer. Before long I'll get tired if I dont find a solution and just buy another board. D@mn I dont want to spend the money... I JUST BOUGHT A BRAND NEW ONE!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information