Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will higher spped RAM help with overclocking?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Will higher spped RAM help with overclocking?

The i7 920/940 are limited by the ram multi (6 or 8) x bclk so the highest you can run your ram is 1600-1700, with 1600 having your CPU at close to if not The max of 200 Bclk. Some wont even do 200, some will do 220+ but not much more then that.

It will in no way help with your overclock. And spending more $$ for something you cannot run at stock with the idea of underclocking it is a waste of money really. Get some 1600 and call it a day I would say

Yes XMP works if your ram is XMP Programmed, and it sets the ram timings, and ram voltage, and QPI/VTT voltage as well. Again that is ONLY if it is XMP programmed though. XMP only sets the above mentioned things, and you may only have one XMP Profile depending on the ram you buy. One may be 1333/667 and one may be 1600/800.

I have a set of Crucial's new Blue Tracers, here is what the XMP looks like in those so you can see what I mean (These have 2 1600/800 profiles in them, as well as 3 JEDEC profiles) >>>

As you can see in this BIOS image, the XMP set the Ram and QPI/VTT voltage per the XMP profile (Not all X58 boards may have this (The QPI/VTT XMP Part), I am not sure, but I would assume it is likely that they do) >>>

Do keep in mind EPP and XMP are not the same thing, so a EPP Programmed set may not work with XMP and for sure likely would not set voltages correctly

There is no 1:1 anymore, as there is no FSB in i7. You will be using 6 or 8 as a multi with a 920/940 CPU, those are your only choices

So if I enable XMP, I will still need to adjust the CPU settings? Like voltage, bclk etc..?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, you will need to set many things likely. Auto is never best for sure, on most all settings. And that goes for using XMP as well, it will not provide the best either only what the memory manufacturer has tested to be good and stable

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information