Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will higher spped RAM help with overclocking?

Default Will higher spped RAM help with overclocking?

I am considering picking up a 6GB kit of Dominator 1866 memory. The price is considerable more than the 1333 and 1600 versions. Is this a worthwhile upgrade and will I have a higher chance of a sucessful overclock with higher speed memory?

Default Re: Will higher spped RAM help with overclocking?

Of course, When your OC'ing, you can set the mem multiplier to the minimum then as the fsb or w/e increases, memory will still have headroom before it reaches its limits.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

He has a Core i7, so no FSB there. Whole different story.

I haven't OC'ed Core i7 yet, but afaik know memory is not a limiting factor there, rather the opposite: it's hard to get RAM working at close to an effective 2000 MHz (if you got RAM that can do that that of course).

Take a look at this list, people are running memory rather slow here and achieving high overclocks. If you can do 4.2GHz at DDR3 ~1200 I guess you could say memory speed won't be limiting you.
    [Sammelthread] Intel Core i7 - Nehalem-Bloomfield OverClocking Thread (2) - Forum de Luxx

So is it wasteful for me to go with the 1866 ram?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

If you have a 920/940 then yes, your limit on the ram speed will be in the 1600-1700 range.

If you have a 965, then any will be fine

So I should go with the 1600 ram vs 1866? Wouldn't the 1866 provide more of a buffer and more stability? If I run the 1866 ram at a lower frequency, would I be able to set tighter timings?

Did you look at my link? There are people running thei Core i7 at 4.1+Ghz with a RAM speed of just 600MHz or only slightly more.
    If you think higher speed RAM will get you more performance, then by all means get it. But it will not help you achieve a higher overclock.

The cost difference is a $100CAD for 1866 vs 1600. If it is not worth it then I will go with the 1600.

Spend that on better video card and youll see much more of a performance increase.

Tests have actually shown that there's little difference between running Core i7 in triple or dual channel mode. So if cutting 1/3 of the bandwidth doesn't have much of an effect then a 166MHz more will probably not be noticeable at all.

I will listen to your wise advise Nickel, thanks for that. Now has anyone actually tried and used XMP mode in the bios? Doesn't XMP automatically set up voltages, timings so RAM and CPU run at a 1:1 ratio? If so, why would you need to overclock? Sorry for being such a noob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information