Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-MA78GPM-DS2H SATA RAID info

Default GA-MA78GPM-DS2H SATA RAID info

Hi,

New here, but was hoping I could at least get pointed in the right direction.

I have the GA-MA78GPM-DS2H mother board with a dual core AMD, two WD 1T black caviar drives running Vista 64. I installed vista fresh onto the two drives in RAID 1. Everything seemed good, looked like a raid array and showed up in vista like I thought it would.

But, now a week latter I have an error on one of the disks and it does not show up as a RAID array anymore. I'm not at home so I can't say exactly what the symptoms are...

Is there any documentation on what the RAID support is (manufacture) and how to use it. Like troubleshooting, what is the optimum use of the raid channels (should mirrored drives be on alternate channels or sequential), or anything else of use.

Also, gigabyte's web page says something about "which even makes more accessible by introducing the innovative windows-based facility.". Is there a app that I should hav running under Vista to do some raid maintenance?

Whats the first step in determining what went wrong with the drive and should I try to reformat and add it back to the array?

In system restart F4 gets to one of the setup programs to create the arrays, but what is the other one before it? In that one only one disk, the one with issues shows up...

Thanks,
    Matt

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA78GPM-DS2H SATA RAID info

Here is a lot of RAID info. TONS of info, each section has MANY Subsections >>>
    RAID Levels

I could not find the proper page at AMD for your chipset documentation so I dunno? You may need to contact AMD in a email to get them to link you to the correct manual for RAID for your chipset

I think all you need to do with RAID 1 disk failure is rebuild your array from the other working disk. This can be done with software within windows (If your system will boot, and if AMD Provides such programs) or from the RAID Creation screen you access pre or post BIOS. You should be able to just choose rebuild array and point it to the working disk as the source

Hey, Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty familiar with the types of raid, and what I should be able to do functionally with the raid arrays. However, not in what the actual tools are named or their lets say quirks.

I've tried to use the 'fastbuild' utility, it has no option to rebuild an array, which is very odd since every other distribution of that utility it has that option. In my searches on the web I've seen mention, like what you said, software to use within windows. However, have not bee able to identify what software that is or where I could down load it from...

I do not believe that the drive has failed. I think it may be going into a low power or off state and does not respond to the raid utilities during system restart. The drive appears to be on-line once windows is functioning.

I would guess a driver conflict or bug, but any ideas? Or clues on the RAID software?

Thanks,
    Matt

I would ask Gigabyte Tech support or AMD About the tools, I know Intel Tool is easy to find so you should get a fast reply about AMD's tool if they have one.

Did you go into the RAID Controller BIOS and see if you have rebuild array options?

Hmm, that does not sound good. Are you using the latest BIOS? Maybe a update would help.

Are you using a large Graphics card or two? If so, you may need to add some southbridge voltage to compensate for the cards + All your drives

What you could do to be sure it is not some Vista issue, is go into control panel, then power options, then change plan settings, then advanced Power settings and scroll down and be sure Turn hard disk off is set to Never
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-26-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks for some feedback, but still don't have the info I'm looking to find.

Well, to summarize, the fastbuild utility is the RAID bios utility used by AMD. At least for this board. For some strange reason there is no option in this version that offers rebuilding an array. Only: view drive assignments, create array, delete array and pretty much exit. In other versions of fastbuild, there is a clear option to rebuild an array. The delete and create array will destroy all data on the drive, but I went a head and did that to get my PC back. The create array option tempts you with a no-init option, but all the data is still lost.

Within the view drive assignments, I found a secure format utility, and ran that on my drive with issues. It was not able to complete, so obviously I have a bad drive and it is not a driver or windows issue. Although I have all drivers and raid bios upto date.

I installed another drive but was still not able to find any way to rebuild, or any mention of a rebuild utility in vista or bios. Like I said above, I re-created an array and just re-built my hard drive. Which, right now is not a huge deal, all the data was on a e-sata raid drive. Its been almost a week and it seems stable.

However, my issue still remains, where can I find info or utilities to rebuild a raid array with this motherboard. I've sent a question to gigabyte on their website, but have not heard back yet. Its been 3 days.

Any ideas or links to info?

Thanks,
    Matt

7 Series Chipsets

AMD/ATI's search and google could not find it. It took a while of digging, but I'm hoping that this is what I need.

Cool, that link for the AMD site does not have a version that works on Visa 64, which is weird since it looks like a java app, way to go on portability.

Anyway, this one appears to work, I was able to look at the drives and it really does reflect what I have setup. The default sign-on is user- admin pword- admin
    AMD RAIDXpert Driver Driver for Windows 9X/ME/NT/2K/XP/2003/Vista/XP X64/2008 Free Download - Softpedia

Matt, have you been able tu use/read S.M.A.R.T. info under Vista when the drives are in AHCI mode?

Quote Originally Posted by reb View Post
    Matt, have you been able tu use/read S.M.A.R.T. info under Vista when the drives are in AHCI mode?
    Even if reading SMART under Vista fails, one can always boot a Linux Live/rescue-distro from CD/USB to access the SMART.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information