Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DPC Latency problems with X58-UD5

Default DPC Latency problems with X58-UD5

Hi,

I build last week a system with an X58-UD5 i7/920 CPU (Bios F4) but the DPC latency is a nightmare (my dual core 4 year old laptop outperforms this system).
    I'm using/intended this machine for dedicated Real Time Audio production, which means I need a steady DPC latency.
    The system shows very low DPC latency values with WIN XP and hyperthreading off (about 4 us), but with constantly spikes reaching up to 8000 us, and this is a killer.
    I know there were problems in older boards with that, is this issue a known issue also for this board ?

I tried the DPC checker with the following configuration:

- Gigabyte X58-UD5 (Bios F4)
    - i7 / 920 (no overclocking)
    - Memory OCZ DDR3 1600 Gold 6Gb (6 x 1 Gb)
    - Graphics : Asus512 D3 EAH3650
    - Disk : Samsung 1 TB SAT2 HD103UJ (on the intel controler)

Also i disabled all onboard components that don't use (LAN, onboard audio, Sec. SATA, Firewire). I tried moving Graph.card to another slot, but te the result is always the same. I installed a clean XP Prof. , no additional software. Also i tried with a vista 64bit, but still the same result. To me it looks like a board issue (maybe combined with the graph.car ?)
    Well the picture say more then 1000 words. It looks like there are 2 things happening :

- every 5 sec. there is a spike
    - approx. every 30 sec. there is a big spike

What could possibly causing this ? Any help ......

Best regards, Rene Reuscher
    <!-- / message -->

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: DPC Latency problems with X58-UD5

Does this happen on a clean install with NO Drivers for anything installed? You need to start there as I do not think the X58 boards themselves have a DPC Issue.

Mine is fine at 4Ghz (21x190), 6GB of ram and 2 x 3870 in crossfire, with HT and Turbo enabled. >>>

I do find certain programs can also make large jumps in latency as well so try a scan again with nothing running as well

Please see here for a list of how to analyze the cause, but I personally would start with a clean install with no drivers to see if all is well, then add drivers one by one until you find the cause. >>>
    DPC Latency Checker

You may also want to do the same on a hardware type of run with the minimal hardware installed and connecting things one by one until you find the cause. Coule be your card, do you have another to test with?

Sorry for the clean install reply, as I see you did that, but did you test with NO Drivers installed during this test? If so, I would suspect a piece of hardware is likely the cause.

F6a BIOS is out for your board, you may want to give it a shot as well >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Is started with a clean install, no dirvers at all. No additonal cards (only the graph.adap.) and then this is the result. Then installed the drivers for the graph.adap. But for the rest i don't have nothing installed.
    Tonight i will get another graph.adapter and see if that does the trick.
    I also will try the latest bios

Thanks

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

OK, Just had to check on your clean install.

Ya, try another card and see how it works with that BIOS, and then if no luck try them both on a newer BIOS

Hi,

I installed Dynamic Energy Saver, clicked "off", and DCP went instantly from what yours looks like to constant Green.
    Try Disabling this feature, it stays on even after rebooting or if the program has been uninstalled. I used to run it on until just now......

Edit: Just noticed that to disable it completely , I have to do this:

Click "On" (Big button on right with "dynamic energy saver" written).
    Click the "X" to close the program
    It will ask you something about Stealth mode, Click "No"
    The feature is now disabled until you use the program again and reenable.
    Last edited by C3D76; 02-20-2009 at 07:19 PM.
    Windows 7 Pro 64 | OCZ Vertex 120 | Cosmos S
    Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 (F6) | Enermax Revolution85+ 1050w
    i7 2600k | 2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | EVGA GTX570 SC
    Apogee XT | Magicool 360 Radiator | MCP35x Pump + v.2 Res

Thanx !!!!!

I did not install the Energy Saver. So no I did what you said:

- install it
    - turn it off and close it

Now DPC latency is stable around 400 us. Still high but steady (the peaks are gone).
    Then I end the Gsrv.exe process in taskmanager, and the DPC latency goes down to a "steady" 7 us !!!!!
    What i see is that when i have an initial disk acces i again get a peak (1000 - 4000 us) and then it goes back to 7 us. So when i do a file search on eg. *.wav (around 10000 hits) i will get 1 peak, and then it stays stable again..
    Seems like the disk has to wake up or something ??

Furthermore when disable multithreading, the latency goes down to steady 4 us but the initial disks peaks stay
    Compared to my other systems i have this is a bit strange, because i dont see that kind of behaviour there.

I don't if a bios update could help there, maybe the intel sata controler needs an update.
    Well i will start putting my cards ( UAD2-QUAD-PCIe, UAD1-PCI, DAWICONTROL FW800-PCIe ) into the box, and check if anything changes

ps. I'm still not completly happy but already a lot more then before

Hey, no problem :) I should thank you for your post.
    I would never have found DCP Latency checker, or why my mp3's were sometimes "skipping" :p.

At first I thought it was C1e or Eist, this lead me to try DES....

Also, I am not getting the huge spikes on Disk access. Maybe because I'm using AHCI sata mode? You could also try disabling C1e and EIST just to make sure that's not what it is...
    Windows 7 Pro 64 | OCZ Vertex 120 | Cosmos S
    Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 (F6) | Enermax Revolution85+ 1050w
    i7 2600k | 2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | EVGA GTX570 SC
    Apogee XT | Magicool 360 Radiator | MCP35x Pump + v.2 Res

I tried EIST and C1E disabled, but the spike at the first disk access stays. But disabling EIST and C1E has again a positive effect on the DPC latency its now (with nothing else running down to 2 us !!).

In fact it seems the spike has no influence in the end anyway. When I run my Cubase 4 projects, the DPC latency stays stable at around 8 us.

I noticed that the raise is caused by the UAD2 and UAD1 DSP cards. But the value is so low that this will cause no problems.

Also i noticed that with multithreading on the latency goes up to 8 us, but then again it stays at 8 us when using the UAD cards. And total CPU usage with cubase is lowered by approx. 9%.

So overall i'm happy now with my end results !! :-)

About the disk access spike, I will just wait and see what happens, for now its not causing problems.

Thread Information