Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-E7AUM-DS2H won't boot after installing OS

Default GA-E7AUM-DS2H won't boot after installing OS

Gday,
    First of all my specs
    mobo : ga-7aum-ds2h
    psu : be quiet dark power pro 550W
    cpu: intel core2duo 8400
    cpu cooler: noctua NH-C12p with 120mmfan blowing onto mobo.
    ram: ddr2 2x2GB corsair cm2x2048 - 6400c5 5-5-5-18
    hdd : WD 1TB green inside a scythe quiet drive sqd-1000 with fan on top.
    case: lian-li v350b modded with scythe s-flex fans 120mm

Before the install I put arctic silver on the nvidia Geforce 9400 chipset.

At first in went into the bios to configure the pc yo use the onboard vga only, since I run this without one.
    I left both side panels off, and stuck a temp probe in the heatsink of the chipset.

Then installed vista ultimate 64bit, all went well the temp never came above 35 degrees celsius. Installed several other programs and then ran a 1080p mkv movie. this worked for about 5 minutes then the pc froze displaying the screen with vertical stripes( of various colours) about 2cm long.

I tried to reboot and the speaker let off a long beep(without even booting), according to the manual the GPU card is not inserted properly, it being onboard is a bit odd.

The next day(today) I booted into the bios without problem, updated to the latest bios then installed winxp 32bit, this went well untill I installed the chipset drivers, it froze then switched off by it self.
    Then tried to reboot and the speaker let off a long beep.

I also tried each induvidual ram in every slot, to no avail.

Any ideas? mobo broken?

Just now I could run winxp and installed speed fan the gpu went to 53 degrees celsius idle, seems to hot me thinks
    Last edited by kami; 02-20-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: additions

Default Re: GA-E7AUM-DS2H won't boot after installing OS

Sounds like something is defective, but I don't have any experience Nvidia chipset Intel boards, so it could be a setting as well.
    Check my sig and try all the basic stuff in there, maybe it helps.

Took out the mobo, and re-applied the artic silver, really thin this time.
    But the chipset went to 51 degrees celcius again and then the pc froze again.
    Idle 50 degrees seems hot, but not too hot for chipset as these are known to run even hotter.
    Also after the freeze it simply won't boot.
    I'm gonna run a mem test on boot ram units when I can boot again. It could be possible that they are both defective.

EDIT: 1 ram module is f*cked, time for RMA.
    Last edited by kami; 02-21-2009 at 12:52 AM. Reason: solution found

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

So it was just one bad stick eh? All works ok with the other? Just checking as that does seem a little hot, but Don't worry about me thinking that as I am not sure how hot that chipset runs normally.

Just always be carefull when re-doing your chipset paste like that so you don't crack your chip they are very delicate.

And hey, you really SHOULD NOT be using Arctic Silver on a chipset, there is MANY bare traces under there! You should use a NON conductive paste such as Arctic Ceramic, or TX-2 or MX-2. I use TX-2 myself. Ceramic would not be the best choice of the three as it would be hotter, I'd choose TX-2 or MX-2

Good luck with your Ram RMA

yeah you're right about the paste.
    As it looks right now, my psu is broke as well(strange noises from the psu), but now I suspect I killed the chip with the paste.
    I really cleaned the surrounding area well with a paste solvent, but perhaps the damage is done.
    The system doesn't boot the OS(it starting up winxp and then switches off) but the I can get into the bios and memtest works as well, would that be possible with a defective chipset?
    I'll have to retest the "broken" ram stick.
    Never had so many problems on a build

Thanks for the help so far
    Last edited by kami; 02-21-2009 at 10:57 PM.

No, sounds like your chipset is fine if you can get in the BIOS and run Memtest as well.

So you are not sure about your "Dead" ram module? Can you run your system with one?

Just wondering if one works and will run the system but the other will not, as a general testing standpoint

yeah I running my system with one now, it just refuses to boot with the other.
    So that's one problem solved.

I cleaned the artic silver off the chipset with artic cleaner set, also the surrounding area, with qtips. the surface was shiney and appeared flawless.
    Then I applied (non-conductive)thermal grease from thermaltake(had that lying around).
    That was such an ordeal because I have to install the cpu cooler incase, so evertime I had to take off the cpu cooler as well.

I re-installed vista 64bit, with the sata configured as ide in the bios.
    It is running now for two hours, had it play a dvd for 2 hrs. It is still ok.
    Ha while writing this it switched off, aaaarrgggh!

I suspect the psu now, I'll a new one this coming week.
    Or it could be this ahci/ide/sata business.

I'm tempted to throw this this out the window, I'm at it now for 5 days non-stop(holiday).this thing.

It might be the psu(

Yes It was the psu!
    and the RAM.

I replaced both and now it has been working for 12hrs.

So here's hoping.

Thanx all for their help!

Now it's time for you to run some stability tests. Yay!. Hope everything is ok now.
    Last edited by acarcia81; 02-25-2009 at 07:46 AM. Reason: update

Great to hear you have found the issues! PSU is something you should never skimp out on or buy cheaper/smaller to save money as it is the most important part of your system

Anyhow, glad to see you are now issue free!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information