Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 322

Thread: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages




  1. #281
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

    Ahh, trying to save $$. I know how that can be! Nice to see you found the WD Deal at Newegg, I was going to show you tonight as I just picked up 2 for a client myself today.

    So while you wait on Newegg, can you please move your page file back to your main drive so we can test if this is part of the issue or not? Of course if you are using SSD, then don't do this!

    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio .......................: [ 9]
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio...................: +0.0
    CPU Frequency .........................: 4.05GHz

    Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control.................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 450Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) ...........: 100

    C.I.A.2 ...............................: [Disabled]

    Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive........................: 800mV
    PCI Express Clock Drive................: 900mV
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: 0ps
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)....................: 0ps

    DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance....................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)........: [Disabled]
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch.................: Auto
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.40B << For now, set 2.66D or 2.00D
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ................: 900-1197
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

    Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time.......................: 5
    tRCD ..................................: 6
    tRP'...................................: 6
    tRAS...................................: 18

    Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...................................: 5
    tWTR...................................: 5
    tWR....................................: 8
    tRFC...................................: 54
    tRTP...................................: 5
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................: 2

    Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ......................: 1066 << 1200 may be needed, and could be best try changing last if you have no luck with the rest. Could also set first and try if you like though.

    Channel A
    Static tRead Value.....................: 8 << Set 9 for now, and you may have to keep it at that depending on your ram
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment..................: [Auto] 0
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment..................: [Auto] 0
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................: [Auto] 0
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................: [Auto] 0

    Trd2rd(Different Rank).................: [Auto] 6 << ** All auto for the following 4 correct? If not set all to Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank).................: [Auto] 6
    Twr2rd(Different Rank).................: [Auto] 5
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank).................: [Auto] 8 **

    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............: [Auto]
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............: [Auto]
    DDR Write Training.....................: [Auto]

    Channel B
    Static tRead Value.....................: 8 << Set 9 for now, and you may have to keep it at that depending on your ram
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment..................: [Auto] 1 (odd as it's not 0 and set to auto) << Hmm, could be part of your issues? Please set to Auto, if you enter zero it will set Auto
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment..................: [Auto] 0
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................: [Auto] 0
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................: [Auto] 0

    Trd2rd(Different Rank).................: [Auto] 6 << ** All auto for the following 4 correct? If not set all to Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank).................: [Auto] 6
    Twr2rd(Different Rank).................: [Auto] 5
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank).................: [Auto] 8 **

    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............: [Auto]
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............: [Auto]
    DDR Write Training.....................: [Auto]

    Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type...........................: [Manual]

    CPU---------------------Normal-----------Current

    Load Line Calibration..................: [Disabled] << Enabled
    CPU Vcore...............1.25000V.......: 1.28750V << Of course you know this is up to your CPU, some need more and others less. Maybe 1.3-1.45 (I'd start around 1.36-1.4 myself and then lower later)
    CPU Termination.........1.200V.........: 1.200V << Maybe 1.28-1.34
    CPU PLL.................1.500V.........: 1.500V
    CPU Reference...........0.760V.........: [Auto]

    MCH/ICH
    MCH Core................1.100V.........: 1.220V << 1.20-1.26
    MCH Reference...........0.760V.........: [Auto]
    MCH/DRAM Reference......0.900V.........: [Auto]
    ICH I/O.................1.500V.........: 1.500V
    ICH Core................1.100V.........: 1.100V << Set 1.14

    DRAM
    DRAM Voltage............1.800V.........: 2.200V
    DRAM Termination........0.900V.........: [Auto]
    Channel A Reference.....0.900V.........: [Auto]
    Channel B Reference.....0.900V.........: [Auto]

  2. #282

    Default Re: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ahh, trying to save $$. I know how that can be! Nice to see you found the WD Deal at Newegg, I was going to show you tonight as I just picked up 2 for a client myself today.

    So while you wait on Newegg, can you please move your page file back to your main drive so we can test if this is part of the issue or not? Of course if you are using SSD, then don't do this!
    Exactly. Watching the budget right now. See this a.m. Newegg has a 750Gb Black for $10 more. Happy with what I ordered though. I'm using a Seagate 250G as my main drive (also for for Win 7 Pro 64bit setup - on another Seagate 250Gb). I have a 3 bay Icy Dock which is quite handy. I wonder though if this new drive (which will be D: and used for storage the swap file for my XP and Win 7 setups) will be an issue for the 250G Seagate as the WD Black is a faster performer with two processors?

    I moved the swap file back to C: for now.

    I'll probably be trying your BIOS settings shortly and get back to you. Question first. What kind of testing do you want me to try with these settings?

    And thanks!
    Last edited by SBMongoos; 11-27-2009 at 10:23 PM.
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (rev 1.1, bios F12), E8400 @ 3.83Ghz, Xigmatek S1283, 2x2Gb OCZ2RPR11504GK Reaper PC2-9500 HPC 1150Mhz, PNY 9600 GSO 768MB PCI-e OC , CoolerMaster 590, WinXP SP3 32bit and Win7 Pro 64 Bit (swappable HDD's via Icy Dock)


  3. #283
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

    Ya I saw those 750GB ones today!

    Well you should test with memtest86+ 5-10 full passes, then with Orthos or Prime95 for 12-24 hours to be sure of stability. If you have a good cooler you can test with LinX or Intel Burn test 5-10 passes, these are very quick and HOT Tests.

  4. #284
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    J'Habite En Angleterre
    Posts
    2,431

    Default Re: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

    I've been trying to hunt for more details on the Caviar Greens but not come u with much. Closest I got was a Custom PC magazine review where they said "5400-7200 RPM depending on individual drive tuning". Whether this means each is altered at the factory, that it kicks up speed when needed or it's user controlable, I don't know.

    There are a couple of utilities out there that can alter Drive settings like AAM (Acoustic Management) and power saving. Maybe turning them off will kicj the drive into 7200 RPM mode. The Greens are useful in certain situations like when using a drive for backup images. As USB is slow any way, using them in USB enclosures is ideal because a high speed drive will operate at the same speeds, due to USB restrictions. Also a nice drive for a HTPC and to upgrade a DVR/TIVO etc. My brother has one in his DVR. It had a 160GB SATA 1 drive so it was a great perf boost and was much quieter and cooler.

    The best value drive for performance and capacity atm (at least in the UK) looks to me to be the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. It has two 500GB platters, meaning a very high areal density (that = faster transfer rates), has I believe 32 MB of cach and out performs the 1TB WD Black and the other competition at the 1TB mark. It even boots Vista quicker than a Velociraptor. Latency is ofc higher than a Velociraptor, but it's faster in a lot of ways due to high density platters. I think the Velociraptor has 150GB platters.

    The Blacks twin drive controllers doesn't make a huge difference. Areal density and latencies are the main limiting factors. The 2TB black is very quick in combination with the two controllers and twin drive head actuators. It's mighty expensive though. You could get 4 Spinpoint F3's for the same price. This way you can set them up in RAID and beat the pants of the single 2TB black.

    To make the most of your Swap file, it's a good idea to partition off a section right at the begining of the drive to be used. This will force the swap file onto the very outside of the disk where transfers are fastest and drive heads have the shortest stroke. To illustrate, on my Caviar Blue, at the end of the disk Read is ~70MB/s and write is about 65MB/s. On my swap partition at the begining of the drive the figures are 120MB/s and 116MB/s with slightly improved seek.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

  5. #285
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

    I believe I read somewhere they run just like Intel speedstep, which is slowest when idle and then ramps up to full speed when needed. Which as you know with CPU's is only when maxed out which is rare, and I bet the same applies to these disks.

    Which drive you talking about for Tivo? This 5400-7200 one? If so, does he have the IDE model (If there is one) and can you ask him how quiet it is? Getting ready to upgrade my Tivo actually, and been looking at 160GB Drives.

    I just setup a RAID array for a client's system using 500GB Black WD drives, and it scores right at 185-190MB/s in HD Tach RW

  6. #286
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    J'Habite En Angleterre
    Posts
    2,431

    Default Re: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

    He's using a SATA to IDE "Translator Card". This is the brand name, not very well known but works really well. I thought it would be either rubbish or not work as it looks like a real lowend kind of thing. As we all know, there are two kinds of products to come out of Taiwan. Taiwan is home to some of the best manufacturers out there with amazing quality stuff, but is also home to the really poor quality and cheap end of the market.

    Whilst he was recording one show and watching another, recorded earlier (usually audable because of head movement) I couldn't hear the drive at all. Also the internal temp controlled fan kicked in less as the drive is ice cold. His isn't a TIVO brand though, it's a no name one he got free with his Digital TV subscription.... UK "Freeview" has a Top Up TV scheme where you buy access at the local post office for a month with no subscriptions/contract.

    For a DVR, they're fantastic drives indeed and will store a bucket load of standard def NTSC or PAL (For Europe, UK, Aus, slight higher res lower refresh/frame rate) footage.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

  7. #287
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

    Ahh, I thought about that myself but wondered if it would slow things down any or mess up the Tivo data somehow, so I just planned to look at IDE Drives.

    I Agree, about Taiwan, spot on analysis! I have used IDE to SATA converters, not sure what brands though, and they worked fine for what I need them for when working with computers. And they were cheap ones too, but I just think I want to lean away from that in my Tivo though.

    I may try one out though, but I guess I would need to decide on a disk anyway first and since I am thinking IDE I may not try one because to do so I would have to buy two disks for the trial and it isnt that important to me.

    I would like a quiet drive in my Tivo though, know which IDE models are the quieter ones?

    I am using a Directv branded Tivo (R10) model in case that helps you find any info for me on drives that are best. I have read around and found so many opinions I am just not sure, plus a lot of the drives mentioned are not sold anymore either.

  8. #288

    Default Re: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ya I saw those 750GB ones today!

    Well you should test with memtest86+ 5-10 full passes, then with Orthos or Prime95 for 12-24 hours to be sure of stability. If you have a good cooler you can test with LinX or Intel Burn test 5-10 passes, these are very quick and HOT Tests.
    Will do. I have the Xigmatek S1283 heat sync/fan system.
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (rev 1.1, bios F12), E8400 @ 3.83Ghz, Xigmatek S1283, 2x2Gb OCZ2RPR11504GK Reaper PC2-9500 HPC 1150Mhz, PNY 9600 GSO 768MB PCI-e OC , CoolerMaster 590, WinXP SP3 32bit and Win7 Pro 64 Bit (swappable HDD's via Icy Dock)


  9. #289
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

    Cool, that is a decent cooler so you should be OK but watch your temps just in case as those tests make it hot and do so quickly

  10. #290

    Default Re: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    I've been trying to hunt for more details on the Caviar Greens but not come u with much. Closest I got was a Custom PC magazine review where they said "5400-7200 RPM depending on individual drive tuning". Whether this means each is altered at the factory, that it kicks up speed when needed or it's user controlable, I don't know.

    There are a couple of utilities out there that can alter Drive settings like AAM (Acoustic Management) and power saving. Maybe turning them off will kicj the drive into 7200 RPM mode. The Greens are useful in certain situations like when using a drive for backup images. As USB is slow any way, using them in USB enclosures is ideal because a high speed drive will operate at the same speeds, due to USB restrictions. Also a nice drive for a HTPC and to upgrade a DVR/TIVO etc. My brother has one in his DVR. It had a 160GB SATA 1 drive so it was a great perf boost and was much quieter and cooler.

    The best value drive for performance and capacity atm (at least in the UK) looks to me to be the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. It has two 500GB platters, meaning a very high areal density (that = faster transfer rates), has I believe 32 MB of cach and out performs the 1TB WD Black and the other competition at the 1TB mark. It even boots Vista quicker than a Velociraptor. Latency is ofc higher than a Velociraptor, but it's faster in a lot of ways due to high density platters. I think the Velociraptor has 150GB platters.

    The Blacks twin drive controllers doesn't make a huge difference. Areal density and latencies are the main limiting factors. The 2TB black is very quick in combination with the two controllers and twin drive head actuators. It's mighty expensive though. You could get 4 Spinpoint F3's for the same price. This way you can set them up in RAID and beat the pants of the single 2TB black.

    To make the most of your Swap file, it's a good idea to partition off a section right at the begining of the drive to be used. This will force the swap file onto the very outside of the disk where transfers are fastest and drive heads have the shortest stroke. To illustrate, on my Caviar Blue, at the end of the disk Read is ~70MB/s and write is about 65MB/s. On my swap partition at the begining of the drive the figures are 120MB/s and 116MB/s with slightly improved seek.
    According to WD tech support the speed is some where between 5400 - 7200. I had read elsewhere that these are variable speed disks and do what they need when called on. So if needed they would kick up to 7200. However, I don't think that is true based on what I was told. I also asked if you could set the speed manually and was told no. But, this may be what they are told to say. Not the level of tech support I've had at WD in the past.

    The WD Black 640G I just bought has two platters and a 32Mb cache. I wonder if it's processor per platter?

    Good idea! I've partitioned many a disk but if I were to partition, say, 12Gig (using the idea of 1.5 x amount of RAM. Only have 4G currently) and when using a program to partition it would be thought that the first partition made would be to the outside of the disk? Makes sense but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by SBMongoos; 11-28-2009 at 11:38 PM.
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (rev 1.1, bios F12), E8400 @ 3.83Ghz, Xigmatek S1283, 2x2Gb OCZ2RPR11504GK Reaper PC2-9500 HPC 1150Mhz, PNY 9600 GSO 768MB PCI-e OC , CoolerMaster 590, WinXP SP3 32bit and Win7 Pro 64 Bit (swappable HDD's via Icy Dock)


Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •