Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

Default Re: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yeap tRD (Static tRead Value) first. Did you read the memory sticky I posted, it explains what each one is.

Yeap, start with the higher values, then slowely work your way down one at a time. You can test with "If windows will boot" kinda method but after a few I would test with memtest86+ for some quick single test runs as you start to get them all low.

I usually will run memtest86+ test #2 and #5 for about 20 minutes each or so for a quick check once I think I am getting down there. Then after I think I have them all low as can go and still stable I will run 5-10 passes on memtest86+ and then a few hours on test #5

Voltages is a whole other beast, and that can only be found out by you thru trial and error what works and what does not.

MCH Voltage I would set higher until you are done with tRD tweaking as this one is the most finicky, you may find you need a lower voltage to be stable as opposed to a higher one. But the general area would be where you have it now if you know that is already stable

And really until you are done with it all cause you dont want to lower it after tRD tweaking then need to raise it again due to some other setting, or have it low causing you to think some other setting is failing because it is to low when it is really the voltages that are too low

So you want them all really on the higher side until you are set on what you want for settings, then you can try to lower them all a bit starting with Dram voltage, then MCH, then Vtt, then Vcore

Just get in there and start playing around, you can only harm your PC with extreme voltages, something we have not discussed at all here so you will be fine. Incorrect timings will only fail memtest or cause lower benchmarks, you cannot hurt your board or memory with incorrect timings
    Let me see if I understand you correctly. It sounds like the thing to do is go into the BIOS and change the settings to what's recommended above (the list). The ones that have ranges listed (see just below) should be set to the high end.

tRRD........................................... 3-4
    tWTR.......................................... 3-6
    tWR............................................ 6-8
    tRFC........................................... 54-58
    Static tRead Value......................... 8-10

Then, one at a time, adjust them as low as possible (lower is better?) without errors. Use Memtest 86+ for this.

Voltage adjustments should be saved to last (meaning the idea is to not have to adjust any more than necessary or ?). I can adjust these one at a time, also, downword (I assume lower is better here for safety reason but higher may be necessary of course for OC'ing). This would be:

CPU Vcore….………......................... 1.25v (Auto) << Here is a HUGE issue, you cannot leave voltage on auto for overclock, this applies to PLL and termination as all. Set 1.25-1.38 and then you can lower later once you get stable

CPU Termination…......................... 1.24-1.32v
    CPU PLL…………………....................... 1.5-1.58
    CPU Referen.…………....................... 0.76V << Use Auto

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V........... 1.2v (manual) << 1.24
    MCH Reference….……...................... .76v (Auto)
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…........................... 0.900V (Auto)
    ICH I/O………………........................... 1.500V (Auto) << 1.55
    ICH Core…………...……...................... 1.100V (Auto) << 1.14-1.2

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............. 2.2v (manual)
    DRAM Termination .…...................... 0.900V (Auto)
    Channel A Reference ...................... 0.900V (Auto)
    Channel B Reference ...................... 0.900V (Auto)

Of course the only voltages getting adjusted would be the ones that are listed above with a range provided. Those listed as auto would not be touched.

Sound accurate? Thanks for your patience.
    Last edited by SBMongoos; 03-15-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Thank you for this post. I used these settings for the first overclock of my e8400 on my UD3R, slightly modified for my DDR-800 memory. They worked like a charm!

Quote Originally Posted by thepieguy View Post
    Thank you for this post. I used these settings for the first overclock of my e8400 on my UD3R, slightly modified for my DDR-800 memory. They worked like a charm!
    Glad you were able to use these settings. If you want to go a bit further, may I suggest using the BIOS profiles feature? I have one for 3.6 which is what I originally posted here, and then I have a 3.8 profile for when I want a bit of punch or gaming action. Although I must admit, it's so stable, and so close to stock voltages, that I use it 24/7. You can find the settings for my 3.8 here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/stab...-3-83-a-30823/

Good luck, and enjoy!
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (F7 BIOS)
    Intel Pentium E8400 E0
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    G.Skill DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0V~2.1V
    EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
    (3x) Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA II Drives
    CORSAIR 650TX 650W PSU
    Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case
    XP Professional 32-bit SP3

Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages
    Stable E8400 OC - 3.83

Awesome, thanks! Actually, figuring out the BIOS profiles thing is something I want to do now since I'm playing around with further overclocking. I actually just posted a thread about my 4.0-4.2ghz overclocking aspirations so I will take a look at your 3.8 settings for sure. I'm going to stress my 4.0 tonight. Take it easy :)

Awesome, thanks! Actually, figuring out the BIOS profiles thing is something I want to do now since I'm playing around with further overclocking. I actually just posted a thread about my 4.0-4.2ghz overclocking aspirations so I will take a look at your 3.8 settings for sure. I'm going to stress my 4.0 tonight. Take it easy :)
    Keep us posted on how the 4ghz works out. If it test fine I'd really like to see your BIOS tweaks. Haven't had time yet to try the ones above and for some reason not motivated to take the time to try the variables and see what works. I work from home a lot and if I run into problems I have to keep going into the BIOS and make adustments.

Quote Originally Posted by SBMongoos View Post
    Let me see if I understand you correctly. It sounds like the thing to do is go into the BIOS and change the settings to what's recommended above (the list). The ones that have ranges listed (see just below) should be set to the high end.

tRRD........................................... 3-4
    tWTR.......................................... 3-6
    tWR............................................ 6-8
    tRFC........................................... 54-58
    Static tRead Value......................... 8-10

Then, one at a time, adjust them as low as possible (lower is better?) without errors. Use Memtest 86+ for this.

Voltage adjustments should be saved to last (meaning the idea is to not have to adjust any more than necessary or ?). I can adjust these one at a time, also, downword (I assume lower is better here for safety reason but higher may be necessary of course for OC'ing). This would be:

CPU Vcore….………......................... 1.25v (Auto) << Here is a HUGE issue, you cannot leave voltage on auto for overclock, this applies to PLL and termination as all. Set 1.25-1.38 and then you can lower later once you get stable

CPU Termination…......................... 1.24-1.32v
    CPU PLL…………………....................... 1.5-1.58
    CPU Referen.…………....................... 0.76V << Use Auto

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V........... 1.2v (manual) << 1.24
    MCH Reference….……...................... .76v (Auto)
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…........................... 0.900V (Auto)
    ICH I/O………………........................... 1.500V (Auto) << 1.55
    ICH Core…………...……...................... 1.100V (Auto) << 1.14-1.2

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............. 2.2v (manual)
    DRAM Termination .…...................... 0.900V (Auto)
    Channel A Reference ...................... 0.900V (Auto)
    Channel B Reference ...................... 0.900V (Auto)

Of course the only voltages getting adjusted would be the ones that are listed above with a range provided. Those listed as auto would not be touched.

Sound accurate? Thanks for your patience.
    Lsdmeasap...

Any thoughts on the info above. Just checking as I did not hear back. I'm being careful here. Thanks...[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Marker View Post
    Just posting this in case it helps anybody out there with a similar configuration. This represents a 20% overclock on stock voltages for the E8400 E0 stepping. Full credit goes to LSD for the original template, I just made it a tad easier to read (I'm anal like that ). Perhaps it will help some noobs like I still am
    Thanks, I used your baseline to get my E8500 going at 3.8 mhz, zero problems so far. I am researching for a better cooler than the stock Intel one, any suggestions are welcome.
    GA EP45-UD3P MB
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 A E0
    2X2 gb OCZ PC-8500 OCZ2P10664GK RAM Dual Channel http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...um_2gb_edition
    XFX GeForce 8500 GT 512 Mb DDR2 Video
    Antec Sonata III Case with Earthwatts 500W P/S

zzzing, I just purchased an Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cooler. It was easy to install, inexpensive, and dropped my temps substantially. I highly recommend it.
    **thepieguy**
    CPU : Core2Duo E8400 @ 4.0Ghz, 1.2625v (BIOS)
    Power: CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX
    Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    CPU Cooler : Xigmatek HDT-S1283
    RAM : OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 800 4GB (2 x 2GB) OCZ2RPR800C44GK
    Video Card : Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4830
    Optical Drive : LITE-ON iHAS122-04

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

SBMongoos, sorry I got a bit behind here!

Ya, your thoughts sound good. You may need to lower your voltages last though if you do plan to tweak your Memory to the best though, at least Vtt/MCH Core and ram voltage anyway as those partially depend on ram settings used

Any details for your testing at 4-4.2Ghz? Curious.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information