Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

Default Re: Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages

Outer Marker:

1) the settings are identical to post #58 but let me add some clarification:
    a) drive strength is attainable at 1066 but no OC 1100. Mine starts at OC 1200 and goes higher
    b) MCH Core was left at 1.22 volts
    c) Dram Voltage is set to 2.2v per OCZ recommendations
    d) I don't have this setting -> Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)........: [Disabled] at least in BIOS F7 unless it's under another screen now

2) I ran the OCCT test using the CPU OCCT option for Normal, Medium Data Set. Only did 15 min being a little paranoid: Passed
    3) I ran the OCCT test using the CPU Linpack test for 1 hour/Auto: passed

Question at this point: what about ratio? Some say it matters and some say it doesn't. As in 1:1, 2:1 and so on. Thoughts?

Lastly, I'd be happy to run the Orthos Prime test. I see you state to run it for 6 runs. Any other particular settings? And on that link I see two options. Are you recommending the SP2004 Orthos Edition Beta for Dual Core/Hyperthread CPUs (I would imagine)?
    Last edited by SBMongoos; 03-31-2009 at 01:48 AM.

OK, I think drive strength is fine at 1066 then. OC 1200 will probably not help any. Don't worry about Extreme memory profile if that option is not provided on your board.

I used to wonder about the ratio as well. After trying a couple of ratios, I am convinced that no ratio is better than the other, especially on the P45 boards. However, I have found some ratios to be easier to get stable than others.

I meant Intel Burn Test (linpack?) for 6 runs. If you are using the Linpack in OCCT, then disregard my comment. Sorry for the confusion.

For ORTHOS, yes, get the Dual Core version as it stresses both cores at the same time. I first run Small FFT for about an hour to make sure the CPU voltage is correct. You can accept all default options, but I like priority 9. You will not be able to use your computer while testing, but priority 9 is more stressful in my opinion. Priority 1 will still stress your rig very well, but you will be able to use your PC at the same time.

Once you know CPU Vcore is good, proceed to Large FFT, priority 9, for an hour. Then you will know if RAM is okay.

Finally, proceed to Blend Test. After you select Blend Test, go back to the drop-down menu and select custom. Leave everything at default, but change "Time to run each FFT" to 3 minutes. It is very important to select Blend Test, and then go back and select Custom! Run this for as long as you are able to. I ran for 15 hours before I manually stopped it, but you should be fine if you get no errors after 4 hours, especially if you are using my settings.
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (F7 BIOS)
    Intel Pentium E8400 E0
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    G.Skill DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0V~2.1V
    EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
    (3x) Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA II Drives
    CORSAIR 650TX 650W PSU
    Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case
    XP Professional 32-bit SP3

Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages
    Stable E8400 OC - 3.83

By the way what kind of temps should I be watching for not to go over?

Quote Originally Posted by SBMongoos View Post
    By the way what kind of temps should I be watching for not to go over?
    From what I've read, 65 C is a fairly safe thermal ceiling, although I've seen others say higher is fine. 65 C is my own personal limit. A more knowledgeable opionion my disagree however.

Agreed. 65C is my limit as well, although anything below 70C should be fine.
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (F7 BIOS)
    Intel Pentium E8400 E0
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    G.Skill DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0V~2.1V
    EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
    (3x) Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA II Drives
    CORSAIR 650TX 650W PSU
    Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case
    XP Professional 32-bit SP3

Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages
    Stable E8400 OC - 3.83

Quote Originally Posted by Neocane View Post
    From what I've read, 65 C is a fairly safe thermal ceiling, although I've seen others say higher is fine. 65 C is my own personal limit. A more knowledgeable opionion my disagree however.
    Are you thinking as an average temperature or ?

My question should have been stated more clearly. When running these test that are being discussed the CPU can get much hotter than the norm. So I'm wondering what kind of temps I will experience during the testing. OCCT reports the temp as 41C for the norm or typical (using the Ximatek).

Quote Originally Posted by SBMongoos View Post
    Are you thinking as an average temperature or ?

My question should have been stated more clearly. When running these test that are being discussed the CPU can get much hotter than the norm. So I'm wondering what kind of temps I will experience during the testing. OCCT reports the temp as 41C for the norm or typical (using the Ximatek).

I'm referring to to 65 C as the max safe temp during 100% cpu load, but as I suggested earlier, others may feel higher is acceptable.

Hey Outer Marker, I tried your bios settings for a 3.83 oc last night and it wouldn't even post. I got a rapid series of beeps and it tried a second time and rebooted by itself back to stock bios. Fortunately I had saved the 3.6 bios and restored that just fine. I'm pretty sure my ram is going to prevent the 3.83 oc like yours, or will it? My ram is GSkill 800 mhz. What settings should I set differently than yours for the 3.83 oc? Thanks for any help bud.

Mine has gone up to 78 load with 4.255 using burn in test.

If you use Orthros to test, or Prime, you probs will see temps 5-20 less than using burn in test.
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    CPU: E8400 C0
    Memory: Team Xtreem Dark PC2 8500 DDR2 1066MHz CL5 (2*2GB)
    GPU: XFX GTX280
    Sound: Xonar HDAV Deluxe
    HDD's: WD VelociRaptor, WD Blue AAKS, WD Blue 2500BB
    PSU: Corsair HX620
    Case: Sharkoon Rebel12 Value
    CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Achilles S1284C
    Fans: Intake & Extract Top: Sharkoon 140MM 5v mod, Intake Bottom Opposite HDD's: Scythe 120mm Low RPM Drive Bay
    HDD's In 5.25 bay held in 2x Nexus DoubleTwins
    Disc Drives: Blu Ray/HDDVD LG GGCH20L, Pioneer DVR-216DBK
    Monitor: Samsung LE40M86B
    Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR255
    Speaker System: Q Accoustics 5.1i System

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
    James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
    Goldeneye

I should have looked at the graphs from OCCT more closely. I was getting the the Temp and the CPU confused. I wasn't paying close enough attention to the fact that on the right side of the graph that's CPU usage. I was thinking that was the temp just repeated from the left side. I "thought" I was seeing temps of 96C.

Going back an looking at the graphs from the Linpack test run in OCCT I see the max temp was just under 60C running the 3.83 specs.

Really wish the settnings in this thread worked..My System is really a pain in the but at the moment.

Ive spent over 1400 Euros on replacing parts and I still cant get a stable OC!
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    CPU: E8400 C0
    Memory: Team Xtreem Dark PC2 8500 DDR2 1066MHz CL5 (2*2GB)
    GPU: XFX GTX280
    Sound: Xonar HDAV Deluxe
    HDD's: WD VelociRaptor, WD Blue AAKS, WD Blue 2500BB
    PSU: Corsair HX620
    Case: Sharkoon Rebel12 Value
    CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Achilles S1284C
    Fans: Intake & Extract Top: Sharkoon 140MM 5v mod, Intake Bottom Opposite HDD's: Scythe 120mm Low RPM Drive Bay
    HDD's In 5.25 bay held in 2x Nexus DoubleTwins
    Disc Drives: Blu Ray/HDDVD LG GGCH20L, Pioneer DVR-216DBK
    Monitor: Samsung LE40M86B
    Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR255
    Speaker System: Q Accoustics 5.1i System

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
    James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
    Goldeneye

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information