Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Best PC Memory for GA-EP45-UD3R???

Default Best PC Memory for GA-EP45-UD3R???

Searched forums and did not find a specific answer. Thinking of OC'ing the memory as the MB has a good reputation for OC'ing. However, the "official" PDF from Gigabyte has offered possible solutions, with the premise, of "these suggestions may not have been tested." which brought a little fear in the solutions.

As the normal memory from the board is 1066, what are some of TweakTown's members experiences with this particular board and its memory, including over clocking capabilities.

If someone has posted a similar or identicle thread, please do not hesitate to direct me to it. I went through 10 pages of threads and did not find it.

Have not bought MB as of yet, going to do it in the AM pending memory suggestions here.

Build:
    Antec 900 Case
    Corsair HX620W PSU
    Intel Q6600
    EGVA 9800GX2 GPU (1G OB RAM)
    (POSSIBLE ZALMAN CNPS9700NT) CPU Cooler <HUGE THING!!!>Still researching.
    Standard 2-3 Sata HD's WD and Seagate combo.
    MB mentioned above.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and expertise!

Default Re: Best PC Memory for GA-EP45-UD3R???

You won't find many (or maybe any) overclocking reports as to how far the memory goes here. This is mostly halp forum so not many people aroudn here who really know what they're doing.
    Also, for overclocking your CPU you don't need great memory, it will not go higher than 450, maybe 475 if you're really lucky anyway, so you won't need better RAM than that.

Here’s an explanation I wrote on the reason why running memory faster than the FSB does not bring much of a performance benefit:
    Memory is linked to the northbridge and the northbridge forwards data to the CPU (via the FSB). Now the bandwidth of the RAM to NB is the same as the bandwidth of the FSB if the 2.0 system memory multiplier is used, i.e. DDR2 667 for a 333MHz (1333 quad-pumped) FSB CPU, DDR2 800 for a 400MHz FSB CPU. If you increase the RAM speed without increasing the FSB, data is transferred faster to the NB from RAM, but the NB can't pass it on any faster to the CPU than before though resulting in no real performance benefit (there's a litte benefit actually, as latency is improved if RAM speed goes up, but it's small ~5% or so).
    If you're not overclocking get DDR2 800 RAM, if you plan on overclocking in the future get 1066 DDR2 (runs at 533 MHz so you can increase your FSB to 533 (2133 quad pumped) without having to overrclock the RAM). The reason why faster DDR2 RAM exists is solely for overclocking purposes, as slower will limit the maximum overclock of your CPU.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Memory choice really depends on what FSB you plan to run, and your price range. Choosing a brand is all about what you like, have had luck with in the past, a little on compatibility with the board, and the brands warranty for your area.

So really it is all up to you. If you have a particular brand/model in mind let us know and we can tell you if there is any Known issues with it, other then that the above things should make up your mind for you

I will leave my particular results here with OCZ 1066 mhz (2x1gb) reaper edition. The memory is hard to make it work on high FSB, at rated speed is ok, but after 490, 500 and above FSB it is great fight to stabilize the system, now i`m planning to move to g.skill or mushkin, maybe you should try one of this first.
    Intel I5 4690K 4.2GHZ
    Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
    2x8GB gSkill DDR3 1600Mhz
    1x SSD Sandisk Extreme II 240GB
    1x Seagate 1000GB (DATA)
    1x Samsung 750GB (DATA)
    MSI Geforce GTX 960 2GB
    Phanteks
    Seaconic Modular 620W
    Aerocool Dead Silence
    Windows 7 64bits

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru