Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-73PVM-S2: DEL - hangs ("Prepare to Enter Setup")

Post GA-73PVM-S2: DEL - hangs ("Prepare to Enter Setup")

On first-time boot for the following PC, when I hit Del (for the BIOS Setup), the system freezes with the message "Prepare to Enter Setup..."

HARDWARE
    Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2 motherboard (Rev 1.0)
    Intel Celeron 430 CPU
    1x 1GB Kingston ValueRAM 800 MHz DDR2 (KVR800D2N5/1G)
    Cooler Master Elite 330 chassis
    Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 460W PSU
    Toshiba SD-M162 DVD-ROM
    Seagate ST3250820AS SATA HD
    3.5" floppy drive
    IBM keyboard with PS/2 connector
    Dell mouse with PS/2 connector
    CRT monitor with D-Sub VGA connector

SEQUENCE OF EVENTS
    Press front power switch -->
    Fans start, computer beeps once, kbd LEDs flash once, front power LED is lit, Startup screen appears on monitor.

Press DEL very quickly -->
    "Prepare to Enter Setup..." message appears on screen, then computer appears to hang. (If I don't press DEL quickly enough, the computer hangs at the normal Startup screen and no Prepare to Enter Setup message is shown.)

INVESTIGATION
    Using a different keyboard and different mouse (which work fine with another PC) made no difference. Next I checked the cable connections to the motherboard, no obvious problems there.

Reading a GA965P-DQ6 discussion from 2006, I suspected a RAM problem. So I checked the DIMM was correctly seated (in mem socket 1) and cleared CMOS RAM, but still no improvement.

Unfortunately I don't have any other DDR2 DIMMs to try at this point. But the Kingston KVR800D2N5/1G RAM is on the compatibility list for this motherboard. Here are some extracts from the Startup screen:

GA-73PVM-S2 F3 (F3 is the BIOS version)
    Memory Testing: 916480K OK+ 128M shared memory
    NVMM: 4.074.3412/13/07
    Memory Clock is: 800 MHz Tcl:5 Trcd:4 Trp:4 Tras:17 (2T Timing)

01/16/2008-NF73-6A61NG05C-00

Any advice gratefully received :-)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-73PVM-S2: DEL - hangs ("Prepare to Enter Setup")

I would try it out of the case, off the tray with nothing connected but the CPU, the one stick of ram, and your GFX Card. No CD/DVD drives, no hard drives, nothing else and see if it will start, this is to eliminate shorts as a issue. While you have it out you may want to reseat the CPU as well.

Can you test this one stick of ram in another PC? Do you have a case speaker connected to hear beeps, if not can you borrow/find one?

What Graphics card do you have?

Can you enter the BIOS at all? Does it act the same with no ram?

Is this a New CPU? Can you test that in another setup by chance?

ATX 12v 4 pin connected, and 24pin as well? Just checking
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-23-2009 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I would try it out of the case, off the tray with nothing connected but the CPU, the one stick of ram, and your GFX Card. No CD/DVD drives, no hard drives, nothing else and see if it will start, this is to eliminate shorts as a issue.
    I tried it out of the case, with just the following connected (I'm not using a graphics card):

CPU with HSF in place
    One stick of RAM
    CMOS battery in place
    CPU_FAN connected
    Power connectors (ATX 24pin + ATX 12v 4 pin)
    Power Switch, Message/Power LED, Speaker, Reset Switch
    Keyboard, Mouse, VGA monitor

That worked fine, it didn't hang and I got into BIOS Setup easily. Then I tried the same thing inside the case (still fine) and gradually reintroduced more devices. Now everything is connected and my problems haven't returned :-)

I guess I didn't connect everything cleanly the first time, or there was some kind of short as you said.

Many thanks, wish me luck installing my OS ...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Great to hear you have solved this issue!

Ya, sounds like maybe you had something not connected or partially connected possibly. Good to hear nothing was damaged.

Good luck on your install, and post back anytime if you have anymore questions or issues

I have exactly thesame issue here. It hangs "PrepRE to Enter Setup'' when i press del, the problem is that im not exatcly sure how to take off the stuff inside

Help please

kick is offline Senior Member

out of case means taking everything apart and having the case left to one side then reconnect everything.
    However on that mbrd Ive often had the hang before setup ,usually after changing something like memory switching between onboard gx and a gx card etc.
    Just check all the connections first by hand while the board is in the case.
    you might consider resetting cmos(see manual)
    Prior to doing that Ive found that hitting the del key at just the right time in the posting process will get you into setup without a "hang"

Then load your optimised defaults and check all the settings are correct,amount of memory,gx card configuration correct, etc etc + dont forget to set the hdd boot priority to the correct one.

After that "first time" I can usually enter setup easily on a boot or reboot.
    It feels like the bios is a little slow in adapting to hardware or configuration changes.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thread Information