Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What amateur OC is this?

Question What amateur OC is this?

Okay, so I've got an E8400 E0 stable at 3.6GHz with 2x2GB 1066 GSkill RAM. All stock volatges too!

The problem is, I want to do 3.8 and call it a day. I'm trying with 423 FSB and a 9 clock multiplier. Since I'm running 1066 RAM, I've got some potential things to consider with regard to the FSB:DRAM ratio. Here's what I know so far...

Since I'm using 423 MHz, you would think I need to be on the 400 D Strap, but I can't boot at 2.0D or 2.66D. Perhaps I need to bring memory voltage down to work on this strap? Perhaps 1.8V when running the RAM at 846 as would be the case with 2.0D?

Then I tried the tighter 333 Strap at 2.40B. Looking pretty good! Actually had to lower the MCH core voltage to 1.1V for stability, and can get 3 hours out of ORTHOS before fail. I'm at 1.2750V VCore. I guess I need to go higher?

My question is why on earth does this run better with tighter timings on the 333 Strap when I can't even get a boot on the looser 400 Strap? Is this normal? From what I've read here, I need to be on that 400 strap to stand a chance of a stable OC at this FSB.
    Last edited by Outer Marker; 02-23-2009 at 02:14 AM.

Default Re: What amateur OC is this?

Can happen. Most settings are inter-related and some combinations at certain FSBs just don't work.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Did you try 1.24-1.3 MCH Voltage while trying the D strap?

It is better if you run B anyway, but you may not be able to keep it stable. If you need some help with B if you cannot get D going please let me know and post your settings and I will try to advise you about what to try next

Can you run 450 FSB with ram at 2.00D for 900Mhz? 2.75V Vcrore? I hope that is a typo, if it is really 1.750 then yes you likely need more

Sorry for my typo LSD. The Vcore is actually 1.2750. I have not tried to increase the MCH Core Voltage as you suggest. I was intrigued that lowering improved stability, but only to a point it seems. Now I'll try what you suggest and go from there. I'll post my full setting shortly.

So you kept the same PL level for all straps you tried??( I assume so since you are aware of it and talked about it)

I notice mine doesnt like the 2.0B strap at all, and default the PL(auto setting) is 1 step lower with the 2.0D strap. It depends on memory, many people seem to do best on the 2.40B strap as long as the memory can keep up.

You prob have to change the MCH ref to lower, like .74v or .68-.70, and also try .785v on the cpu ref

To figure out if its the CPU or the memory, try using small fft that will tell you if the cpu is good or something needs adjusting. Then try the blend to test the memory/mch. Also for a quick mem test you can use memtest and loop test #7
    Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 02-23-2009 at 04:04 AM.
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Yes, that's right SpeedEuphoria. Same PL Level for all straps. I ran out of time this afternoon to post my settings and to try your suggestions, but I'll see what comes of it and post my settings here. Thanks for the tips on ORTHOS. I certainly think my issue is with the CPU rather than the memory, but now I can test to pinpoint the problem area.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

What PL is it you are using/trying to use? 400/D strap will only let you use looser ones, higher then the B strap. Depending on ram quality and all other settings you may be able to run 8-9+ on the d strap, lower then that will require some tweaking for sure

Iv'e had similar things happen in regards to memory timings too.Loosening them to SPD settings is a no go but tighten them up and runs fine.
    Q9550 EO 4.0ghz 475x8.5 1.325v LLC on
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P f9c OCZ Vendetta2 w/bolt kit
    4x2gb OCZ PC2 8500 5-6-6-18 1.9v @950mhz
    Asus 4870 512 Scythe Musashi
    Ocz Gamextream 600w
    2x300gb Velociraptors RAID0
    CoolerMaster Stacker 830
    Dynex 32" HDTV on HDMI
    Vista Premium 64-bit

Perhaps I'm misreading, but I took PL level to mean Static Trd value. I'm currently running 2.40B at 424 FSB. Static Trd is set to 8. 7 will not boot. That's okay, I don't feel the need to have wicked memory bandwidth and a Static Trd of 6 etc. I just want a stable overclock!

I'm at work currently, so I'll post my setting when I get home. I also need to run a good ORTHOS to see how stable I am. I know I can get 30 minutes, but that's not long enough, obviously.

Performance Level = static tRead =tRD

You should try to overclock the CPU first though and leave RAM settings (relatively) low and then increase RAM speed and lower timings when you've reached the "final" CPU speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information