Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-MA790x DS4 Onboard LAN Problem

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA790x DS4 Onboard LAN Problem

Sorry to hear, hope your RMA goes easy! Please Mark your board with UV so you are sure you get a new one back from the store when you RMA.

Quote Originally Posted by dukdukgoos View Post
    This sounds exactly like the issue I have with my GA-EX58-UD4P. The LAN gets disabled randomly at the BIOS level, and pressing F9 as you've seen shows the LAN MAC address as N/A. Rebooting and BIOS flashes don't resolve it. The solution I've found is to turn off your power supply (or unplug it) until the motherboard looses all power (on my board the lights go out). It usually take about 6-8 seconds or so. Then turn the PSU back on and reboot, go to the BIOS and check F9 again, the LAN should be restored and showing a MAC address.

This workaround is effective, but is extremely annoying as the issue can happen fairly frequently. We really need a BIOS update to resolve this! Let me know if this works for you... I'd like to create a unified thread for all the people with this issue. Hopefully if we make enough noise GB will fix the BIOS to resolve this.

I have this exact problem with GA-MA790x-DS4.
    I followed your very helpful advice and all is working fine now.
    As you say, hopefully Gigabyte will sort out a BIOS fix soon.
    Thanks

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Glad to see you have solved your issue! Post back anytime

How's the RMA coming R27? Any news?

I have the GA-MA790X-UD4P.

Ran across the exact same problem.

After resume from hibernate, the LAN card is inactive. It is still visible and "working correctly" in device mgr, but cannot obtain an ip, and apparently no power is being sent to lan port because there is no connected light on router.

The solution was (as suggested here earlier) to turn off system, turn off the power supply switch, wait about 15 seconds, turn it back on, then reboot the system. Immediately connection light came on router and I knew everything would be OK -- and it was.

This is quite annoying.

Does anybody know how to get to the right area on gigabyte website to report such things? I would gladly do it, but it is quite hard to navigate to somewhere where it appears something would actually be logged as a legitimate bug.

(ed) Also - during the time mine was inactive, the SMART LAN feature would show nothing for the top two ports, but 4m for the bottom two on the screen. And, it just kept repeating. LAN card was still inactive though until I followed the procedure outlined above.

This forum rocks!
    Last edited by bobheck; 06-14-2009 at 02:49 AM. Reason: additional text

MDDI is offline Junior Member

I have read where others with Realtek NIC's have had issues after updating with the suggested driver from the Windows Update site.
    By downloading and installing the current driver from the MB manufacturer site (Gigabyte in your case) has reported to have corrected some issues.

Thanks for the reply.

With the updated driver from Microsoft, the LAN would not even work.

The driver I am using is from the Gigabyte DVD that came with the motherboard.

Go into Device Manager, right click the Realtek NIC ('s if you have multiple), click Properties, click the Power Management Tab, make sure the box is not checked that allows the system to turn the device off to save power.

Quote Originally Posted by MDDI View Post
    Go into Device Manager, right click the Realtek NIC ('s if you have multiple), click Properties, click the Power Management Tab, make sure the box is not checked that allows the system to turn the device off to save power.
    Well I'll be dipped in spit.

After doing this, waking from sleep did not kill the LAN card. Now, last time it actually happened it was in sleep state for several hours, so I will see.

Thanks for that tip.

I also found that Gigabyte does have a recent driver update for the Realtek 8111 dated May 2009. The one I was using was dated Nov 2008.

Installed that also.

When you install the new drivers, you may find the box is checked again to allow the system to turn off the device to save power, so double check.
    Also, you may want to re-boot after the install, not just going into sleep and waking up to see if your problem is resolved.
    Don't know why that power save feature is in the drivers for a desktop, mobile devices yes. Realtek seems to do catch-all drivers for mobile and desktop NIC and audio. One size fits all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information