Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: BUG Report with GA-EP45-DS3R, regarding Smart Fan adjust.

Default BUG Report with GA-EP45-DS3R, regarding Smart Fan adjust.

Hello guys, got a lot of story and not a major issue really, but keep reading.

Recently, after using my motherboard for a few months, and since i was overclocking my Q6600 with it's stock cooler, i've never bothered about this adjustment, since when it's set "DISABLED", it's fan will run at it's highest speed.

Then, past Friday, i bought a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, and gained a lot of improvements in temperatures, not really in idle, but when in full loading, it decrease something about 15 degrees! And here at Brazil, it's summer time and quite hot at daytime.

And the fan supplied with my cooler is something a little noisy, and i wished to decrease it's speed in order to decrease noise.

And finally i played around with that option.

We got three options, AUTO, controlled by bios, ENABLED, not fixed and dependant on processor's temps, and DISABLED, running at full speed.

I selected AUTO but i haven't seen any improvement, so i've selected ENABLED, and my fan speed really has been reduced, 3000 to 1800rpm is quite good, the temps goes a bit higher but it's a minor issue to me.

But something odd is happening, the adjust ALWAYS REVERTS TO DISABLED, when i enter in bios again.

If i select ENABLE, it works, and save it of course, but if i ever enter the Bios again, it's option reverts to disable, and keep disabling.

Not a major issue really, it's funny to tell you the truth that i found something like that and i'm quite surprised, the option works but something buggy reverts it, i'm with it's lastest bios, F10, and never tested this option with a older version of it.

When i have some time to spare, i'll record it and post here.

Regards, André.

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: BUG Report with GA-EP45-DS3R, regarding Smart Fan adjust.

Perhaps load optimised defaults once and that will clear it or even failsafe defaults. hten put in and save your normal settings.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Or you could also save all your settings, including that as a Profile and load it. To do that, on the main page (With all your settings set how you want them) Press F11 and save this profile and name it.

Then reboot and see if your setting is disabled again, if it is go to the main page of the BIOS and hit F12 and select your profile and load it then save and apply and reboot back and see if it sticks this time

Bumping this thread, and i found what is bugging smart fan adjustment.

Is the most odd thing i ever seen, if you plug a memory with XMP (Xtreme Memory Profiles), like i have, Corsair Dominator, also a SLi Ready Memory, Smart Fan stops from being smart and keeps reseting to Disabled

I plugged 4 Dimms of Kingston HyperX for testing purposes, not for me really, i gave my Dominators to test on XFX 780i, a disaster has happened, completely incompatible on that board, but it's another story.

I'm already used about every time i do some adjustment in M.I.T, i must must change the value of Smart Fan adjustment to ENABLED, because it keeps reverting to disabled, and when i went there, it kept enabled.

I were surprised, either my mobo has fixed itself, or i was crazy all the time.
    So i kept going to M.I.T and thermal monitors, and no reverting to Disabled.
    I got my Dominators back, and got my old bugs back too.

Conclusion: Sticks with XMP profiles bugs this value, or at least, just my Dominator sticks, when plugged with memory who doesn't have any XMP profiles, becomes fine and don't revert anymore.

And again, not a serious bug, but it's annoying, because my Freezer 7 Pro is loud, and Smart Fan when enabled, drop fan to 1800rpm, the noise is a lot more acceptable.

Profiles helps a little, but i forget about them frequently, maybe i'm not smart enough.

Maybe it happens with all P45 motherboard, since the BIOS for them has almost the same look. I'll try to borrow an EP45-UD3R to see if apply for this motherboard too.

I hope to see this fixed someday, i won't open a ticket because it will be very stupid, the very purpose of all of this is having docummented the "problem", what is causing it, how to reproduce, and how to get fixed.

Best Regards, André Sato.

Thread Information