Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ga-k8ns motherboard & new graphics card

Default ga-k8ns motherboard & new graphics card

I want to upgrade my son's graphics card on this older computer, and need to know the best graphics card I can upgrade to. The computer has:

GigaByte ga-K8ns, nForce3 250 Chipset AGP8X
    Bios version: AwardModular Bios v6.00PG versionF10
    Memory: 1g DDR memory
    CPU: (754-pin)AMD Athlon 642800+CPU w/Hyper Transport Technology
    Standard Case Power Supply

I tried a Radeon X1650Pro but it keeps giving me a blue screen with the message stop0x0000009c, so I think it is too much for this motherboard.

Thanks in advance!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: ga-k8ns motherboard & new graphics card

That PSU may just not be good enough for that card? It must be 350W or better.

Did you try reinstalling the card to be sure it was in tight? Does this card you have need a extra Power connection, just checking?

What BIOS are you using? It may help to update that >>>

Rev 1 Board
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-K8NS (Rev.1.x)

Rev 2 Board
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-K8NS (Rev 2.x)

Please read this for flashing info >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Any AGP 8x/4x AGP 3.0 compliant 1.5V card should work.

I do however see this, and by the wording of your boards spec's it makes me wonder >>>

The one star review is not for the quality of the card, but instead to serve as a flag for those reading reviews looking for reasons why customers were unhappy with this product. This review is just a note to owners of 1.5v AGP 2x/4x motherboards.The Radeon X1650 is a AGP 3.0 spec card, but according to the 3.0 spec it should work just fine in any 1.5v 4x slot since AGP 2.0 and 3.0 are by spec backwards and forwards compatible; unfortunately this card does not meet this requirement.

Aapparently due to ATI's error this card (and others in their Radeon line) are incompatible with several AGP 2.0 (1.5v 4x) motherboards, including those used in the popular Dell Dimension 4500 and 4550 lines. The problem does not effect all AGP 2.0 motherboards, but if you have a AGP 2.0 board be prepared to return it. The similar nVidia based AGP 3.0 (8x) cards do not have this problem.
    Source
    Amazon.com: AMD ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB AGP Graphics Card (100-437809)***: Electronics

They way your boards specs are noted out (1 x AGP slot 8x/4x-AGP 3.0 compliant supports 1.5v display card only.) Makes it sound like it is a AGP 4x board but will allow AGP 8x. The 1.5V also makes this more believable since AGP 3.0 8x is .8V

Now MOST AGP 8x cards will work in 4x boards, but you do have to keep your PSU in mind as well. So I would say you can get any AGP 8x or 4x card, just seems that you have picked one with a known issue

A simple Clear of your CMOS could also help this card to work, have you tried that? If not please see Post #2 in the thread linked above (About Flashing) for how to clear the CMOS if you are unsure.

You should be able to use Most any X19xx, HD 2xxx, or HD 3xxx card as long as it is AGP 8x/4x as they all are that I just looked at. Of course some of those newer ones would need a better PSU for sure, and possibly more ram.

Are you SURE this card works that you are trying, can you test it in another system to be sure?

Thread Information