Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monstrous Vdrop in 100% load on X58 Extreme

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Monstrous Vdrop in 100% load on X58 Extreme

CPU 4Pin connection? Do you have it disabled in the BIOS? You say you tried it with the stock cooler, did you also try it with your new cooler as well?

Sounds like Temp is not a issue. So after you checked over the settings I listed to disable above, do you still have this large of a drop in voltage, and the multi drop?

Hi,

yes i tried also with the NOCTUA cooler but it doesn't work.
    what do you mean to "have it disable from bios"? What should i disable? (In the 'pc health' screen i left all to disable).

what do i have to do for the pencil mod?

what is the multi drop?

However for me it's absurd that i have to become crazy when I spent 300 eur...
    I wrote to gigabyte assistance and they answer me that they do not respond about OC (ok but i have problem also in default). But it is a paradox, since they publicize their mobo as born to be OC...their words...but my money !

thanks and ciao!

I asked if you have it disabled, I did not suggest that you disable anything. From your reply, that sounds like the issue. It sounds like you have disabled the Fan control for the CPU

Pencil mod can VOID your warranty, and I would rather not post about it myself, here is a link though >>
    XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Gigabyte EX58-UD5/Extreme Discussion Thread

About your Multi drop. You said your multiplier was dropping to 12x, that is what I meant.

You do have C1E and EIST disabled right?

Yes, Gigabyte support does not help with overclock issues because if they did they would have to spend all day everyday answering issues related to overclocking. Your best bet with overclock help is forums and users like me offering suggestions

First i thank you very much for your support. :)

About fan control: keep in mind that after the flash bios e cleared cmos, the default set it as enable and also in that case che cooling doesn't start...

C1E and DEIST are disabled.

the pencilmod is reversible? maybe by a rubber? however it seems not invasive. I should not do any damage, don't I ?
    In definitive: i have only to sign the contact shown in the photo by a pencil? Do I press with many power or not?

many thanks, ciao!

this vdroop is same on ud5 (same board as extreeme) my vcore is drooping 0.05v. i set 1.36 down to 1.34 idle and 1.31 load, i used silver conductve ink not pencil. then it goes 1.34 idle an up to 1.36 load :P the ink can be removed with nail polish remover.
    UD5@Extreeme bios, I7 920@~ water cooled, OCZ 1600LV6GK, hd 4870x2 (Asus Top bios) water cooled. TX850w, LG 19" wide. 2x wd250ks sata raid 0 ( Win 7, 64bit)

You can use a pencil and yes you can remove it with a eraser. As said above conductive ink is better, but harder to remove.

You do it with the power off, and the PSU shut off as well (Press Case Power Switch for a minute to be sure ALL power is drained from the board and PSU)

Then just "draw" across the connection several times then start the system and see how it is. If it needs more, shut down and do it all over making the mark heavier. I think #2B pencil is best or #3B, #8B is also good but very soft. Normal is #2B and works fine

Reo, your voltage goes up at load? Do you have LLC enabled maybe? You should not have Vdroop mod and LLC at the same time, that may be your issue and can harm your CPU Much easier. One or the other is the rule

thnks for you feedback Reo.

Lsdmeasap, thnks again for your advices. I followed everything but nothing changed. The dropping under load is always the same. I tried pencil mode two time but not results... :(
    In particular it is LINX that stress very very much and gets the deepest vcore:

for example now i've found a sort of stability at 3.33ghz (166x20) at 1.275v from bios. that is 1.245v in idle under Seven 64bit and drops to 1.12v under LINX all core 100% and 1.16 under prime95 100%. And 1.22v under Edius avc compression (it uses not more than 80%).
    that is the limit i can test now: the cpu seems good since it is stable at 1.12v...I would like to go high, but i can't...

ciao!

There will be always some volt drop, especially when high current is involved. Short of connecting the VRM to the CPU with solid silver and a large gauge - that would minimise it, but never eradicate it.

Some of these CPU's are consuming 70/80/90amps etc and even with the best multilayer PCB's you will always see a volt drop, especially when loading the CPU with software such as Prime95 etc.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Ya LinX loads all 8 cores at 99.9% so there will be a drop for sure

Two times is not enough if you meant you only marked over it twice. You would need to do it several times so it is dark. Or use conductive ink

You may also just want to enable LLC without the Vdro Mod or raise the vcore a bit more, sometimes there is a much smaller drop at certain settings so try out a few more above where you are now and see how it is.

I've got the same cpu and mobo and am getting the same Vdrop problem. My 920 is now on 190X21 w/ Vcore 1.375 in BIOS and 1.360 in vista except under full load. When running Prime95, it drops to 1.344. All the readings above is from ET6 and BIOS version is F6c.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information