Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone have the GA-MA780G-UD3H motherboard?

Default Re: Anyone have the GA-MA780G-UD3H motherboard?

Thanks for the info, dred. I'll watch out for that bios ide/sata issue when I set up. It's nice to hear that overheating hasn't been a problem with the 780G chipset. I have been a little concerned about heat so I'm fortifying my case with three high-flow (2 120mm and 1 80mm) fans just in case.

This will be my first-ever computer build so I have tried to be careful with my research and choices. Glad you like those 780G Gigabyte boards. I expect mine will be in mid or late week, knowing how quick Newegg usually is.

Since you have ordered the mobo, flawless_og, hopefully we can swap notes while we're working any bugs out. I'm planning on running Linux Fedora so there's a can of worms to be opened there as well. Will you be running Vista? I'm curious about the new Phenom IIs and would be interested in any observations you might have.

Looks like we have a bit of AMD action going now!

I'll be using Vista x64 so I'll let you know how things go! :)

I just ordered this mobo and a quad core 9850 to put in it. Newegg review
    looked good.
    Will prolly try windows beta 7 and debian lenny dual boot on it.
    Last edited by spldart; 03-03-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Correct my cpu model.

Awesome! Now there are three of us to share notes. And all AMD quad cores! I'm new to Linux so maybe you will have some thoughts on Debian, spldart?

I just checked with the UPS tracking on my order and all my computer stuff is about 40 miles away tonight - so I should get it tomorrow. I'm jazzed!

I started using debian back when sarge was stable. I believe they were on 3.1 at the time. I needed a stable server platform. I wanted to run
    a web server, a game server, an ftp server and a file server from one box with decent up times and debian using 'screen' is a great way to do
    that. I later started tinkering with 3.1 for desktop use but there were several limitations. I started using Etch, debian 4.0, about 7 months
    before it released and it's worlds better. It's in fact still the current release although I've moved on to Lenny. Debian 5.0. Debian is widely
    accepted and numerous other distros are based on or very similar to it thus the time to learn this linux seemed better spent. Ubuntu and knoppix
    among others are pretty much set up the same way. It's got a good package manager and decent repositories as well. Although for a beginner
    to linux you might consider Ubuntu instead. I've heard great things about it as a linux desktop that has good features and usability.

PS> I'm no linux expert. I've built a few kernels and minor dev work on a open source project or two but I'd only consider myself a 3 or 4 out of 10
    on linux aptitude. hehe.. Apt... get it? sry :(

Hi everybody.

I see this mobo is not very popular or is it too new?
    I've ordered it yesterday and I'll receive it tommorow, together with a PhiiX3 710 and a 4gb kit of corsair pc6400/CL5/1.8V ram (I'm on a tight budget :( ).
    I wish I could have bought a 790GX and the X3 720 but in my location AsRock AOD90GX has vanished from all retailers and the othe 790GX mobos are much too expensive.
    Anyone noticed on newegg a review ("Reviewed By: Steve on 3/2/2009") who was mentioning ddr2 1066 just doesnt work?

Also, without the unlocked multiplier and ACC, I wonder how much will I able to overclock the 710. Any ideas? (Well I guess I will see :) )

Oh, one more question - does anyone know why the "M" in the name? According to the Gigabyte naming conventions (as seen on wikipedia) the M in the first part of the name denotes a microATX board - but this is an ATX one (quite small I noticed but still ATX).
    Last edited by reb; 03-04-2009 at 05:24 PM.

/me is jelous. He doesn't get his stuff till friday.

Well, these are the advantages of living in a small city and in a small country in eastern europe ;).
    (okay maybe not that small - the city has 2 mil inhabitants and the country about 22).
    That, and getting free shipping (I live 2 km away from the shop anyway).

On the bad side, I will pay (according to the google built-in currency converter) 157 US$ for the x3 710 and 106 US$ for the mobo.
    I was just reading that ppl in US are waiting for the Phii 710 to drop from 119 to 99 US$.
    /me is so much jelous :)

I received the motherboard yesterday and let me tell you, it's absolutely fantastic. The Ultra Durable feature sure lives up to its name.

Motherboard temperatures are usually in the 29-30 degrees C range when idle and about 35-38 under load. CPU temperatures (Phenom II X4 940) are at 36-38 degrees when idle and 42-44 under load, all on the stock heatsink and fan. The Northbridge chipset runs pretty cool too, somewhere between 37-38 degrees. All temperatures are according to EVEREST except the Northbridge temperature. I used SpeedFan for that. It's quite hot in my room so temperatures would be even lower.

I didn't have any problems getting the processor recognized as it came with the latest BIOS. Configuring manual timings for my DDR2-1066 RAM was very easy to do as well and I didn't have any problems with that, too.

The only problem I did have though, is that my 500GB IDE drive was recognized in the BIOS and in Windows XP but it just wouldn't show up in My Computer so I can access it. It was set up as a dynamic drive and it was offline, but unfortunately I couldn't activate it, so, I had to format it. I guess it didn't like the transition from that crappy ASUS board to this new one.

I am glad for you, flawless. :)

I would highly appreciate some help from you guys. I was trying to understand from the pdf manual more about the fan connections and I think I am a little confused.
    1. It seems the board has 4 fan connectors: 1 for CPU fan, 2 for System fans and 1 for the power source fan? But does the power source fan need a mobo connection? (isn't it powered directy by the power source?)
    2. The motherboard can monitor the speed on only 2 fans (CPU + one of the sys_fans) - is this right?
    3. The mothboard can control the speed only for the CPU fan - is this correct?

I will have to install the board in an antec nsk6580 and i'm a little afraid I won't be able to do it correctly. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

(sorry if this is too off-topic:) Any advice about the antec-tricool fan included with antec NSK 6580?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information