Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone have the GA-MA780G-UD3H motherboard?

Default Re: Anyone have the GA-MA780G-UD3H motherboard?

I just took a look at the manual and yes, it looks like the fan can only control the speed of one fan. This will depend if the CPU/system that you install supports this.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by reb View Post
    I am glad for you, flawless. :)

I would highly appreciate some help from you guys. I was trying to understand from the pdf manual more about the fan connections and I think I am a little confused.
    1. It seems the board has 4 fan connectors: 1 for CPU fan, 2 for System fans and 1 for the power source fan? But does the power source fan need a mobo connection? (isn't it powered directy by the power source?)
    2. The motherboard can monitor the speed on only 2 fans (CPU + one of the sys_fans) - is this right?
    3. The mothboard can control the speed only for the CPU fan - is this correct?

I will have to install the board in an antec nsk6580 and i'm a little afraid I won't be able to do it correctly. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

(sorry if this is too off-topic:) Any advice about the antec-tricool fan included with antec NSK 6580?
    1. That is just marked PWR Fan, you can use any 3pin fan you like there

2. No, your manual shows me that all 4 fans have the Sense feature (CPU Fan, SYS_Fan1 and 2, and PWR Fan)

3. Your BIOS allows you to control the fan speed of the CPU fan, and the SYS_Fan1 header

@Lsdmeasap - thank you, I thought the three-pin fans are not sensed. But then, what is the point of sensing them if you can't controll them? And what is the meaning/purpose of the Reserved pin of Sys_fan1? Seing that there I thought the Speed control pin is missing, but actually is no2.
    So I guess I could connect the Antec Threecool as Sys_Fan1 and get automatic fan speed variation from the mobo ?(I noticed the smart fan setting in bios is present also for the sys fan).

Here is my mini-review of this board:
    Except the odd location of the onboard usb connectors and the need to guide the front audio cable around the northbridge, the board is ok so far. And i like the blue :D.
    As cool as the processor runs in normal operation, as fast is it getting hot if overclocked, under load (or maybe I should have bought some real termal compound :))
    I've done a little overclocking and here are my findings (using a phenom ii x3 710):
    - AMD Overdrive crashes my system if setting FSB over 240 (everyyhing else was lowered in bios)
    - The integrated graphics NEED high HT Link. The tips like "HT Link is not important, you can lower it as much as you need" do not apply here. Changing the HT Link from 1000 (underclocked) to 2000 (default) raised the 3DMark 2006 using the onboard IGP from 1591 to 2111 !
    HT Link must not be higher than NB Frequency.
    In bios, HT Link setting is actually reported to the default CPU base clock (200 MHz) no matter what its the real setting. So an 800 setting actually means a 4x multiplyer for HT Link and 2000 means a 10x multiplyer. If the cpu base clock ("FSB") is 250 then -for getting HT Link to 2000- a setting of 1600 is needed. (1600/200=8 and 8*250=2000)
    The NB Frequency multiplyer is exactly what the name means- no complications here.
    - MAX "FSB" I managed to get: 292 MHz, with very little or no voltage adjustemnts (can't remmber for sure) and all the other settings on lowest setting, including RAM running at DDR2-400 (x2 mutipliyer instead of x4) (2*292=DDR2-584 !). As soon as I tried the next setting for ram I could not boot anymore. I had to reduce the "FSB" to 286 for being able to boot with 2.66 ram multiplier. Anyway I couldn't boot with increasd CPU multiplyier at this FSB.
    - Seems that my phenom does not like high FSB. Increasing the vcore seemd to help a little but in the end everything becomes too hot under load (I used wPrime with 3 active threads. In 30 senconds the Temp2 reported in speedfun reaches 60 celsius). I was able to boot at 270x13 (3,51GHz) with 1.36V but had stability and cooling problems.
    - Although my ram (Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800@1,8-1,9V) runs at 250*4=1000 MHz stable @2V with everyting else lowered, I had stability problems if I set the CPU multiplier at 13 in these conditions.
    - In the end, I was able to test two stable configurations (no errors or overheating in wPrime 1024M) :
    CPU 250*13, ram @833, IGP@800, superpi 21.39, wPrime32M 16,812, 3dmark2006 2111
    CPU 245*13, ram @980, IGP@800, superpi 21,82, wPrime32M 17,226, 3dmark2006 2126
    stock CPU, RAM and IGP: superpi 27,11, wPrime32M 20,908, 3dmark2006 1667
    stock CPU&RAM, UGP@800MHZ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -3dmark2006 2096

I am sure with proper cooling I could have overclocked a little more but for a few hours in an afternoon it's ok. I could have read one of the overclocking guides but discovering them by myself is more fun.
    The thing is without proper cooling I couldn't expect much anyway. And instead of buying an additional cooling I would have bought a higher clock CPU or the 790GX board. :D

One more thing - easytune 6 does NOT work properly with this board.
    I used speedfan and hwinfo32.
    It seems none of the indicated temperatures belong to the IGP or northbridge.
    I tried stressing the IGP with furmark and/or the rthdribl (the japanese gpu stress program) but none of the temperatures raised, while I really felt the norhbridge is much hotter than on idle.

Is someone could prove that actually I am wrong and one of the temperatures shown in speedfan is the NB or IGP temp I would highly appreciate.
    Last edited by reb; 03-09-2009 at 06:07 AM.

Having received my mobo last week the whole new computer is assembled but I'm currently stalled. I've been unable to get either of the two Linux os's I've tried to work completely so I'm waiting for a copy of Vista 64-bit to be delivered. I just bit off too much doing my first build and trying to get Linux to work for me for the first time. I haven't been able to install the Gigabyte drivers, so no audio, or to get my external hard-drive recognized. If I can't take my files with me I won't go! I'll continue to work at Linux as time goes on but now I'm anxious to put this new box through it's paces and see what it will do. Vista will let my try out the 3-D game (Stalker) that came with my main chip so that's a plus.

On the plus side the bios seem fine with the mobo and it does recognize my external hd - and my cpu and RAM.

I noticed that the manual talks about possibly needing an amplifier for the audio. For the time being I'm just planning on running two small computer desktop-type speakers and I'm wondering if I'm gonna need an amp. 'Anybody know?

Blue Max, in windows the drivers are easily installed from the supplied CD. Of course you can later find updated versions on Gigabyte's, ATI's or Realtek's websites.
    The only thing you really need at first is the ethernet driver to be able to install internet.

The sound seems loud enough for me, using some cheap genius active speakers (they do include an amp). I haven't tried headphones.

Regarding the hard disk drives, you can work in AHCI or Native IDE mode (if the OS supports). The AHCI/IDE mode can be activated separatelly for the first 4 SATA ports and for the remaining 2.
    I don't think AHCI it's worth the trouble. At least in windows, the Native IDE mode seems as fast as AHCI if not a little faster (tested with HDTune). Plus, it seems under windows xp the SATA controller in sb700 chip can acceess the S.M.A.R.T. information only in native ide mode.
    Try to find a distro that supports native IDE mode and I think it should recognize your HDD if the bios setting is correct.

Does anyone know if keeping the IGP @ 800 MHz could burn it? If it first freezes my system at least I know, but what if direclty burns???

The phenom CPU tends to crash the system (BSOD - machine check or IRQ not ls or equal ) when is overheating, so I don't think you can easily burn it. But for the northbridge or IGP I am afraid. The Northbridge was really hot under 3D load (hardly able to keep a finger 10 seconds). Although, I've read reports that actually the IGP produces virtually no heat, even overclocked.
    Last edited by reb; 03-09-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by reb View Post
    @Lsdmeasap - thank you, I thought the three-pin fans are not sensed. But then, what is the point of sensing them if you can't controll them? And what is the meaning/purpose of the Reserved pin of Sys_fan1? Seing that there I thought the Speed control pin is missing, but actually is no2.
    So I guess I could connect the Antec Threecool as Sys_Fan1 and get automatic fan speed variation from the mobo ?(I noticed the smart fan setting in bios is present also for the sys fan).

I tried stressing the IGP with furmark and/or the rthdribl (the japanese gpu stress program) but none of the temperatures raised, while I really felt the norhbridge is much hotter than on idle.

Is someone could prove that actually I am wrong and one of the temperatures shown in speedfan is the NB or IGP temp I would highly appreciate.

The point of sense without control is just so you can see the RPM's, like if you use a controller and would like to know the RPM's you are getting. I know I use sense on all my fans (7 of them) and do not use my board or BIOS to control any of them at all.

Not sure about the pin? Yeap you can control the Sys_Fan1 with the BIOS (Meaning also with speedfan if you like that app)

The NB does not likely have a sensor, the "System" Or Motherboard sensor you pickup or see in the BIOS or programs is a sensor in the PCB, close to the NB but not the NB at all

IGP, I dunno about, but I do know Speedfan is terrible at voltages and Ghosted readouts

What all do you see in the BIOS temp wise in PC Health

What does Easytune do for you, I mean how does it error out or why do you say it does not work?

Try to find a distro that supports native IDE mode and I think it should recognize your HDD if the bios setting is correct.
    Good advice, reb. I'll see what I can do. By the way - congrats to both you and to flawless on the new mobos and your success with them. ;)

My copy of Vista is on its way!

hey Reb i notice you got the same cpu as me. So i find it interesting to see what you were able to achieve overclock wise. as you can see from my sig have also noticed FSB limitation. I am pretty sure its the motherboard and not the CPU. Which is really disapointing for me as i watercool.

I should have picked up the black edition. I got the board and chip as a combo so didn't realize i was getting the locked multipier chip till i had ordered but figured as long as i could get a good FSB this would not be a problem.

Anyway i know a friend who works at AMD. So i emailed him a few questions about this. Let ya know if there is anything interesting to note. Most likely tho i will just sell my 710 and get a 720 black edition or a quad black edition.

I seen some people overclock the northbridge and the HT bus. from what i have seen most people can't get HT much beyond 2100 and some can push the northbrdige to 2600-2800. Also with the multiplier locked its difficult for me to get my 1600 DDR3 speed cause fsb so high the next multiplier jumps me to 1800 which of course does not post.

So i seen people really get the most out of there system with the unlocked muliplier because they can put the FSB at 210 and then put HT at x10 so its at 2100 and then get northbridge at multi of 13 for 2700 or so and then crank the multi 19 to get 3.9ghz or so on the cpu while still getting there DDR3 memory 1600+ without going over.

Its really what i should have bought. =P anyway thats my 2cents on the overclocking.
    Last edited by dred210; 03-10-2009 at 12:15 PM.
    AMD Phenom II 710 OC@3.450ghz
    Wintec Ampx 1333 DDR3 4GB
    GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    ATI/AMD 4870x2 videocard
    Coolit Freezone elite TEC chilling waterloop
    1 DVD burner
    1 36gb WD rapter hard drive
    2x 640GB WD in RAID 0
    Cooler Master 700W SilentPro PSU
    Watercooling video card and cpu only.

I second that dred, for the price difference the black edition definitelly worths the money if the buyer wants more overclocking.
    Regarding the NB, since it's quite hot anyway, I prefer to stay out of overclocking it. There is no way of monitoring its temperature without additional equipment (and even with a temerature probe, can we really be sure we are measuring in the hottest spot?).

I'm pretty pleased with the board (not to forget the price range too) but I still hope I could find some advice regarding:
    1- Proper placement of the front audio cable - For the moment I can see 3 or 4 possible routes:
    A) if it's long enough, direct it first upwards (I think that is the area of the power mosfets for the CPU voltage regulation?) towards the power supply, and then right, along the mobo's upper edge, at a safe distance over the CPU and then again down to the front panel. This avoids the NB and the CPU but I am not sure how hot can be the area of the power mosftets and psu.
    B) stright to the right, under the northbridge (between the NB and the PCIex16 slot)
    C) to the right, in a little higher position over the northbridge (i think this is the worst - it will be betwne the CPU and the NV)
    D) hanging over the PCIe device in slot x16 (in my case a tv tuner card) - this is how I have it now, but it's not looking good and it might not work if the PCIeX16 slot contains a graphics card (bigger and hotter)
    So none of them looks ok- any suggestions?

2) Overclocking the graphics core from 500 to 800 raises 3dMark06 from 1600ish to over 2000. But wihout additional cooling, is there any risk involved (and how big is it?).

Talking Re: Anyone have the GA-MA780G-UD3H motherboard?

I have ordered this mobo myself and should have it Thursday going off of the UPS tracking so I will be asking some questions my self.

Looking forward to cranking this thing up, says its good for 16GB
    Memory
    1. 4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory (Note 1)
    2. Dual channel memory architecture
    3. Support for DDR2 1200 (Note 2)/1066/800 MHz memory modules

Plan on giving it everything I can give it Hopefully it don't blow up in front of me.
    The Rage

Spec. sheet site for this mobo
    Last edited by RagenRat; 03-16-2009 at 12:08 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information