Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Another GA-EP45-UD3R and G-Skill 4x2GB 1066 Ram Question.




  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Another GA-EP45-UD3R and G-Skill 4x2GB 1066 Ram Question.

    Off subject question...
    Does it matter which bank of sata ports on the mobo that I plug in the sata cables from the E-Sata bracket? I could not get my external hdd to be recognized thru the e-sata bracket. I have the bracket plugged into the same bank of sata ports as my primary hdd, so I would assume since the primary works fine that any necessary drivers would already be installed for that bank. The external works fine through usb, so thatís not the culprit.

  2. #12
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Another GA-EP45-UD3R and G-Skill 4x2GB 1066 Ram Question.

    So no matter the memory slots 1 and 3 do not work? Even one stick at a time?

    If so you may have some faulty slots.

    I would plug your eSATA into the Gigabyte ports (Purple) and enable those ports in the BIOS >>>

    Integrated Peripherals

    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE or AHCI (You may need to install the Giabyte AHCI Driver and program from the CD)

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Another GA-EP45-UD3R and G-Skill 4x2GB 1066 Ram Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    So no matter the memory slots 1 and 3 do not work? Even one stick at a time?

    If so you may have some faulty slots.

    I would plug your eSATA into the Gigabyte ports (Purple) and enable those ports in the BIOS >>>

    Integrated Peripherals

    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE or AHCI (You may need to install the Giabyte AHCI Driver and program from the CD)
    When I put a 2GB stick(the same stick that has worked in Dimm 2 and 4) into just Dimm 1 the system boots.

    When I put that same 2gb stick into Dimm 3 the OS fails to load and I get a blue screen error, Page in nonpage area.

    I pluged my sata cable into the purple bank and selected
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ...........AHCI
    I got my external to be recognized in the OS, but I lost my dvd-rom, which was IDE.

    Why doesnt the esata bracket work with the yellow bank of sata ports? My primary HDD runs off that bank.
    Last edited by Pete21; 03-01-2009 at 06:06 AM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Another GA-EP45-UD3R and G-Skill 4x2GB 1066 Ram Question.

    Hi I've just joined to say I had exactly the same problem. Same mobo same memory, memory sticks ran fine(well still not perfect but it was stable enough)in memory slots 2&4 but not at all stable in 1&3 and system couldn't post at all and just repeatedly switching itself on and off until I powered it down manually. Luckily I had another p35 system here so I tried switching over system rams and viola both systems are running good now. I have even installed 4sticks of corsair xms2 rams on this board now and it's running flawlessly. I think this board is really picky about which ram you put on it.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Another GA-EP45-UD3R and G-Skill 4x2GB 1066 Ram Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by gigaboy View Post
    Hi I've just joined to say I had exactly the same problem. Same mobo same memory, memory sticks ran fine(well still not perfect but it was stable enough)in memory slots 2&4 but not at all stable in 1&3 and system couldn't post at all and just repeatedly switching itself on and off until I powered it down manually. Luckily I had another p35 system here so I tried switching over system rams and viola both systems are running good now. I have even installed 4sticks of corsair xms2 rams on this board now and it's running flawlessly. I think this board is really picky about which ram you put on it.
    Thanks for sharing your situation. I was able to get Newegg to do a RMA exchange, but I did not mention to Newegg that I cut the UPC from the Gigabyte box(I dont know if that matters, hopefully it doesnt). If they send me a board that acts the same with my ram, I guess I will try to exchange my ram thru Newegg. If they wont accept the ram I guess I will sell off one set of 2 x 2gb and stick with 4gb total ram.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Another GA-EP45-UD3R and G-Skill 4x2GB 1066 Ram Question.

    Well let's hope your replacement mobo will solve your problem then. I feel your pain you know, I at least lost half my hair going through all these problems but I only had half hair to begin with so only have quater left now.lol

  7. #17
    kick's Avatar
    kick is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Europe,the wild wild west.
    Posts
    1,223

    Default Re: Another GA-EP45-UD3R and G-Skill 4x2GB 1066 Ram Question.

    I dont run 8g.I have tried it tho using some 5300 Standard samsug memory just to see what happened.
    It didnt go very well but machine was running fine with 8g at the max the samsung could take,The gskill was just underclocked.
    Im wondering could it be something as simple as undervoltage on the 4 stick/8gig probs.
    U bang in your 2x2 gb of whatever memory and this boots up fine on auto.
    Then you put in the other 4 gig in banks 2 and 4,
    Depending on whether the memory has an epp profile or not,perhaps people might need to dial in extra voltage when they have the machine running on 1 or 2 sticks of ram.
    like use a utility to see what the actual ram voltage is while running the operating system.
    Then head out to bios or maybe et6 and put in a voltage .03 higher than that manually instead of auto,I say .03 because thats the shown vdrop i get while running compared to what I enter in bios.
    Then if thats good reboot again and enter ,I dont know another .03v to compensate for putting in another 2-3 sticks of memory.

    So for me at 490 cpu ref ,980 mem speed with 2.08 v entered in bios.it shows my mem voltage dropping to 2.05 while the os is running.
    So if I did get another 2x2 g set and put it in and the pc failed to work.
    I would take out the 2 new sticks.Then i would get to bios again and add in .03 for the memory.Id probably add in .05 just to save time.That would be 2.13/2.14 entered in bios.
    I would probably save that bios setting too.
    Then I would reboot into the os and hopefully be running on my 1 or 2 sticks at more voltage than I actually needed,but not a ram life shortening voltage.
    Then shut down pc ,disconnect etc,put in the other 2 sticks and,,hopefully it would boot up ok ,
    The mch voltage i dont know about,either increase it a bit and save,or i think someone used a lower voltage for 4 sticks!.

    I dont know if thats clear or not ^ but I know what Im thinking of :).

    btw why does everyone seem to be trying to get their memory to its rated speed by using a divider.
    Yes I know for some peoples cpus if they try and run 1:1 ie 2:00 multiplier they may go too hot on cpu before reaching their mem speed,but isnt it better to have the fsb speed as high as possible and use a lwer cpu multiplier?
    Last edited by kick; 03-02-2009 at 05:23 AM.
    Current Systems:

    Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

    HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

    hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

  8. #18
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete21 View Post
    When I put a 2GB stick(the same stick that has worked in Dimm 2 and 4) into just Dimm 1 the system boots.

    When I put that same 2gb stick into Dimm 3 the OS fails to load and I get a blue screen error, Page in nonpage area.

    I pluged my sata cable into the purple bank and selected
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ...........AHCI
    I got my external to be recognized in the OS, but I lost my dvd-rom, which was IDE.

    Why doesnt the esata bracket work with the yellow bank of sata ports? My primary HDD runs off that bank.

    Did you try just setting IDE mode instead of AHCI? You would need to load the Gigabyte driver for AHCI to function properly on those ports.

    Have you tried the bracket connected to the Last 2 ports of the yellow controller? Port labeled 4 or 5?

    Ya, sounds like a bad slot for sure. Let us know how your RMA goes. I think you may get denied since you cut the UPC and you will have to RMA to Gigabyte directly

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Another GA-EP45-UD3R and G-Skill 4x2GB 1066 Ram Question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Did you try just setting IDE mode instead of AHCI? You would need to load the Gigabyte driver for AHCI to function properly on those ports.

    Have you tried the bracket connected to the Last 2 ports of the yellow controller? Port labeled 4 or 5?

    Ya, sounds like a bad slot for sure. Let us know how your RMA goes. I think you may get denied since you cut the UPC and you will have to RMA to Gigabyte directly
    IDE mode would not recognize the Esata bracket, but it would recgonize my primary HDD installed on that same bank. I did load the Gigabyte driver for ACHI.

    I didn't try those particular ports, I used the two on the right side, top row.

    If Newegg denies the RMA, what does the turn around time look like with Gigabyte's direct RMA?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: Another GA-EP45-UD3R and G-Skill 4x2GB 1066 Ram Question.

    I heard someone here say his RMA took six weeks. That's also about the time I waited here in Germany when my Gigabyte video card died a few days after arrival a few years ago.
    4-6 weeks is the usual RMA time in the industry. I love the fact that EVGA makes boards now, maybe that can push the others to also offer proper service and replace boards in less than a week.


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •