Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please recommend RAM for GA-EP45-UD3P?

Default Re: Please recommend RAM for GA-EP45-UD3P?

Sorry it took so long, but my UD3P was semi-dead for some time, maybe I pushed a little too much voltage overclocking my RAM and it needed some time off ;)
    Even though they're different revisions the kits seem to work well together, with the F7 BIOS they're properly set to run at 1066MHz by default (CPU is running at stock right now).
    I'm running Prime right now to check if there are any stability issues.

Quote Originally Posted by vraptor View Post
    On further reading, I think I will sit on this a couple of more days to see what Nickel020 has to say.

The threads indicating that folks not been able to get 16GB working bother me. I'm considering the EP45-DQ6 or EP45-DS3L instead. The major difference I see is lack of Firewire, and I can add that using an existing PCI card I have. I think any of these would fit the bill, but for me, futzing with memory timings and whatnot is not something I was to deal with.

=V=

---
    Unibody MacBook w/2GB of RAM
    Looking to rebuild:
    Athlon 900 w/768MB, 3x500G Seagates on a 3Ware 8506 SATA RAID card, running Xubuntu 8.04 (quite happily, but for the lack of SSE2)
    The Gigabyte UD3L is another good choice. I just did a build with it using a Q9400 with GSkill 4gb (2x2gb) DDR2-1066 ram.

Gigabyte P45-UD3L
    Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

GSkill 4gb (2x2gb) DDR2-1066 ram
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

One thread (out of four, using a Q6600 atm) geot an error in Prime after one hour, i increased voltage by 0.002V since auto only gave 2.08V according to HW Monitor. I will leave it running overnight.
    The RAM is definitely compatible though, I guess it just needs a little more voltage than Auto gives it. My old kit is rated at 2.1V while then new one is rated at 2.1-2.2V, so it's prbably jut a voltage issue here.

I let them run over night and three threads gave errors after 8-9 hours. The fact that bumping the voltage by 0.02V increased the time for an error from 1 hour to 8 hours shows that the voltage is the problem, they want more than the minimum specified 2.1V.
    I feel I can safely recommend this RAM now, just be sure to set the voltage manually to more than 2.1V if the Auto setting fails Prime.
    I'm doing some other testing now but I'll leave it running with a little more voltage again tonight.

Thanks for taking the time to give your update, Nickel020. Glad you were able to get it working for you. I may reconsider my decision in light of this, but I'm not going to buy until next week because I'm on-call this week. Having toys I can't play with b/c of work is not a frustration I want in the house at the moment.

=V=

Further increasing the voltage by another 0.04V actually caused a Prime error after 1 hour again. I then put a Corsair Airflow Fan 2 on the RAM and it's been priming for hours now. I didn't even reboot from the settings that failed after 1 hour, so the problem is "only" heat. Considering that this is on an open test bench this is quite interesting. The reason why many people fail to run 4x2GB may actually be heat, inside a case temps are usually at least 10C higher than on an open test bench.

You should also conisder getting a RAM cooler. The new Corsair unfortunately has the worst fans I've ever heard, it's quite noisys even if you udnervolt, the bearing noise of those fans is incredibly loud (normally the airflow noise is the loudest thin, fans need to be very bad for bearing noise to top that at higher RPMs).
    There's also the OCZ cooler is better fan-wise but that is a very tight fit, it's almost touching the video card or ay actually touch it if the video card has screws sticking out. If you use some insulating tape on the OCZ's mounting brackets though you cannot get a problem thoguh even if it is touching a screw of a long video card.

Hey vraptor,

Did you ever get the RAM to try in your GA-EP45-UD3P? If so, what did you go with?

I'm thinking of going with G.SKILL PI Black 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400). It got some good reviews with this motherboard on the egg.

I'm hoping the BIOS will just will automatically detect this RAM at the specifications and capacity of the memory (as it states it should in the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P manual)...
    Hoping to get this soon and setup:
    MB Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P RAM G.SKILL PI Black 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) PSU Antec EA650 650W CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz) VIDEO nVidia 9800GT 512MB DDR3 MONITOR DUAL Dell 2209WA Flat Panel HDD 1 TB SATA 2 DVD Sony Optiarc DVD drive CASE Cooler Master CM 690 High Volume Air Flow OTHER NETGEAR GA311

kick is offline Senior Member

It wont..or at least it didnt for me.. it will boot it up at the 5-5-5-15 setting.. but that may be because epp profile isnt on when you start up first in bios.
    Either way its very easy to change to the 4-4-4-12 in bios,you shouldnt have to bump the voltage either,uness you start overclocking.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thanks for the reply, kick - i will keep that in mind.
    Hoping to get this soon and setup:
    MB Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P RAM G.SKILL PI Black 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) PSU Antec EA650 650W CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz) VIDEO nVidia 9800GT 512MB DDR3 MONITOR DUAL Dell 2209WA Flat Panel HDD 1 TB SATA 2 DVD Sony Optiarc DVD drive CASE Cooler Master CM 690 High Volume Air Flow OTHER NETGEAR GA311

I ended up purchasing the UD3P with 8GB of RAM, 4x 2GB G.Skill 1066, Newegg #N82E16820231166. Auto config went off without a hitch. I have a non-OC'd Quad Core 9550 in it.

My only speed bump, hardware-wise, is that there doesn't seem to be a driver under Solaris 10 x86 for the on-board SATA RAID/IDE combo controller which is apparently a JMicron chipset.

It runs cool and hasn't broken a sweat yet, though I've not thrown anything serious at it, really. Even the 9800GTX+ generates little heat compared to earlier video cards I've had, like the ATI 9800 AGP series from several years back.

My only nit-pick is that I wish they'd have put the SATA ports out of the way of long add-on cards.

=V=

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information