Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please recommend RAM for GA-EP45-UD3P?

Question Please recommend RAM for GA-EP45-UD3P?

Reading the variety of issues here with memory timings and this motherboard, I was wondering if the experts would please offer some recommendations for "most compatible" RAM for it.

I'm looking at initially getting 2x2gb, but may upgrade to 4x2g (or more) in the future, and would prefer DDR2/1066 speed over DDR2/800. I don't really have any brand preference other than I will not buy PQI. I'd like to keep things around $50/4gb (rebates are OK). I'm shopping at Newegg. :)

I plan to install a Quad 6600 (with a big, but quiet Zalman cooler). I don't forsee overclocking (can't see the need--current file server is an Athlon 900!!). It will be used primarily as a file server running OpenSolaris w/ZFS, all SATA except perhaps use of IDE for legacy file transfers off the current file server. I may also do some video conversion on this box and temporarily use it as an HTPC as well (hence the Quad and additional RAM).

I haven't picked out a PSU yet, but it will be something beefy and probably an Antec or similar quality. 5+ HDs need stable power.

Thanks for any assistance.
    =V=

Default Re: Please recommend RAM for GA-EP45-UD3P?

I am running 8gbs of memory check out my sig. There was a 20 bucks rebate from newegg. I think it is still running.
    Gigabyte Ep45-UD3P Motherboard (F10F Bios)
    ToughPower 650 PSU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9300
    Windows XP x64
    8gb PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) OCZ Reaper Memory
    500gb Seagate SATA Hard Drive
    20x LG SATA Dvd Burner
    Soundblaster Audigy Sound Card
    MSI ATI Radeon HD3850 512MB

PS I use to use Antec PSU's a lot until about 2 years ago when I had 2 fail on me. After doing research a lot of people were complaining how Antec changed suppliers or something and failures were happening often. In fact when I called then up since warranty was still in place for both failed units, the guy didn't even seemed phased when I told him this is my second failure within a few months of you guys sending me a new unit. Now I am running toughpower units from thermaltake on both machines and haven't had an PSU issues.
    Gigabyte Ep45-UD3P Motherboard (F10F Bios)
    ToughPower 650 PSU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9300
    Windows XP x64
    8gb PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) OCZ Reaper Memory
    500gb Seagate SATA Hard Drive
    20x LG SATA Dvd Burner
    Soundblaster Audigy Sound Card
    MSI ATI Radeon HD3850 512MB

Quote Originally Posted by fcastro View Post
    I am running 8gbs of memory check out my sig. There was a 20 bucks rebate from newegg. I think it is still running.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://ancientnovels.com/general/cool-mods-the-great-pyramid-pc-mod/?tracker=3248"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://ancientnovels.com/general/cool-mods-the-great-pyramid-pc-mod/?tracker=3248" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
    We live in the age of cheap ram (that was with rebate though).
    Last edited by criteriadan; 03-06-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks for the advice, fcastro. I did see some folks were having trouble with that Reaper memory, though. I'm wondering if this board is like some of the Shuttles, where closer to the RAM spec of 1.8V is better? People have had the most luck on their Shuttle rigs with RAM that is not "high performance".

In any case, would you mind sharing your BIOS settings?

Thanks again--
    =V=

I have 2x2GB of OCT XTC Platinum 1066 and should get another set tomorrow or on saturday.
    I'll do some testing on my EP45 UD3P and tell you how it goes.

kick is offline Senior Member

To a certain extent its dependent on your cpu.
    However if you are SURE you dont want to go over 1000 mhz memory speed or 500mhz fsb
    The Gskill black PI 6400(800mhz)which was/ probably still is under $40 for 2x2G is good.It will run 800mhz fsb 4-4-4-12 at 1.82 v.Up to 900mhz at 4-4-4-12 with increased voltage1.9v+.Above 900 mhz you will have to switch to 5-5-5-15 timings.
    From 900-950 you will need to run voltages between 1.9v-2.0 v.
    950-1000 between 2.0 and 2.15v(what most performance memory is supposed to run at)
    Above that speed u will have to input greatly increased voltages so if u need 1000mhz + for some reason get another type.
    This memory has a documented problem(by me, a poster on xtreme systems a poster on overclockers.com and a ud3 mbrd review,that i know of so far) in operating above 1000mhz,
    Well so what its not designed to, and I suppose a 25% memory overclock isnt bad.
    There are some 800mhz sticks out there that will go higher Im sure ,but for the price ,the timings at low voltages at 800mhz and being very easy to use in ep-45 ud3 they do the job.
    Unless u have a low multiplier quad like me and want to see how close to 4Ghz u can get :0

Actually today I was making absolutely sure, I couldnt find the trick to get it above 1000easily.Ill do a seperate post n bore people .
    Last edited by kick; 02-27-2009 at 01:29 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

I used Neweggs GSkill 1066 ($54 per two 2 Gig sticks) for 8 Gig with the same processor. works good. Had to set Mch to 1.05 and DRAM to 2.1 so it would boot, but since setting like works great. PS the ZAHLMAN keeps the CPU nice and cool!

I'm really not interested in the whole over-clocking business, so thanks for your time in replying, kick, but that's not a direction I'd consider.

My current file server, as I mentioned before, is running on an ancient Asus board w/an Athlon 900. It holds up pretty well for the basics (Xubuntu with 768MB of RAM), but since it's not SSE2, I can't even run VLC or any other media player on it.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the new stuff, so will go take a look at the OCZ options and the GSkill. I was looking at GSkill for another rig (a Shuttle hackintosh project), since the RAM voltage is a big issue on that system.

I look forward to seeing what happens with your memory expansion, Nickel020.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far.
    =V=

On further reading, I think I will sit on this a couple of more days to see what Nickel020 has to say.

The threads indicating that folks not been able to get 16GB working bother me. I'm considering the EP45-DQ6 or EP45-DS3L instead. The major difference I see is lack of Firewire, and I can add that using an existing PCI card I have. I think any of these would fit the bill, but for me, futzing with memory timings and whatnot is not something I was to deal with.

=V=

---
    Unibody MacBook w/2GB of RAM
    Looking to rebuild:
    Athlon 900 w/768MB, 3x500G Seagates on a 3Ware 8506 SATA RAID card, running Xubuntu 8.04 (quite happily, but for the lack of SSE2)
    Last edited by vraptor; 02-27-2009 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added another mobo model

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information