Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Unusual problem witn NIC

Unhappy Unusual problem witn NIC

Hi, 2 days ago, i bought GA-M56S-S3 (rev 1.0 marked on board). And all seems to to be allright, excetp one thing.
    I installed two OSes, Windows Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 Beta 7000. Each OS have the same problem. My Network Interface Card doesn't want to receive packets... I donno why, cause i have no active firewall, antivirus or smth thislike. So, the interface statistic page tells me that my nic is trying to send packets into network, but the receieved packets are till 0. And much more unusual, that my second NIC, (D-Link DWL-G510) wifi-card, do exactly the same!!??! I'm sure about the second NIC , cause it was perfectly working on my last mobo.. MSI K9N Neo. So, the second thing i wanna tell you here is that my wired NIC can operate in linux normally (forcedeth driver). But it changes it's mac every time i reboot my box. Take a look please:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    forcedeth: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version 0.61.
    forcedeth 0000:00:06.0: PCI INT A -> Link[APCH] -> GSI 20 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
    forcedeth 0000:00:06.0: setting latency timer to 64
    forcedeth 0000:00:06.0: Invalid Mac address detected: 03:80:80:80:4b:04
    forcedeth 0000:00:06.0: Please complain to your hardware vendor. Switching to a random MAC.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's not so annoying that it changes it's MAC every time, but in windows it doesn't want to work at all! (By the way, in linux my wifi works too). So, i noticed an interesting thing, when i set ip, mask, gate, dns manually in windows... all sems to be working, except wifi, it doesn't anyway. So, i can make a conclusion that, my DHCP service can't operate correctly with my windows drivers... It's assing only ip, mask, without gateway and dns. I donno why. My linux dhcp-client works perfectly!

My system:
    GA-M56S-S3
    AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core 5600+
    2 * 2GB Kingston RAM DDRII 800 (dula channel)
    250 GB SATA 3
    XFX GeForce 8800 GT Alpha Dog
    Creative Audigy 2
    D-Link DWL-G510 rev.C
    LSI Logic SCSI PCI Adapter
    Beholder BeholdTV 609FM

My OSes:
    1. Gentoo Linux 2008.1 (latest kernel)
    2. Windows Vista x64 Engligh (with all latest updates)
    3. Windows 7 Beta 7000 (with all latest updates)

Default Re: Unusual problem witn NIC

So...where's the GIGABYTE supporters ?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I am here, but sorry I do not know anything at all about Linux, and very little about AMD

I see you have the issue in windows as well, what do you see in the BIOS for MAC Address if you press F9 on the main page of the BIOS? You should see a MAC Address, if not this may be the issue

Are you installing the latest Chipset drivers and LAN Drivers for your board in windows? Just checking

Ok..the string about MAC address is:
    "LAN MAC Address 038080804B04"

And yes, i tried chipset drivers that are on gigabyte's main site for my mobo, also i download the chipset drivers directly from NVIDIA... and, i have the same problem..nothing changed...

P.S I don't ask for help in linux, just help me to solve problem in windows... That's all i asking for!!! Please!

Any idea ?

Hmm, well that is good that you have a MAC Address showing in the BIOS!

I dont know how Nvidia works, but Intel chipset would have fixed this issue.

Is there, or can you find a seperate LAN Driver only for this chipset? I mean without the rest of the chipset package? Have you looked for that?

Have you asked Gigabyte Tech about this issue, if not might as well and see what the reply is as there may be a known issue/solution >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Yes.. i wrote there a letter, but there's no reply. And i can't find not Gigabyte's or Nvidia's dirver fot this lan-chipset. Any idea how can i drive this out ?

Lsdmeasap , so any idea what i have to do ?

Well, Gigabyte's driver for this LAN is here, Chipset Install Package) if you have not tried that, grab the latest NVIDIA MCP65 Chipset driver, LAN is included >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver - GA-M56S-S3 (rev. 1.x)

I downloaded this package, and found inside there is LAN Drivers Included for sure, version Ethernet Driver (v65.65) "WHQL" (1.0.1.6565). Here is just the driver for x64 Vista incase you know how to install it that way >>>
    NVIDIA MCP65 Ethernet v65.65.zip

Thread Information