Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EP45-UD3P Cold Boot problems, no idea where to start

Default Re: EP45-UD3P Cold Boot problems, no idea where to start

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Have you tried adding MCH Voltage, this is normally needed for 2x2GB. Most of your settings look to be ok other then that.

I would try 1.2-1.24 first, then if no luck try 1.05
    I was playing around with those voltages yesterday and I couldn't get the motherboard to post at anything over 1.15, and 1.05 didn't post either.

prime95 ran for over 6 hrs with no stability issues. Tonight I'm going to try Nickel020's suggestion of setting everything back to defaults, then adjusting only Performance enhance and DRAM voltage.

If that doesn't work, I have found someone with DDR2 800 2x2GB RAM, I might borrow that and stick it in and see if that solves any issues.

As far as the ability to return parts, most of my RMA periods with newegg have expired. All I can currently RMA are the PSU and the video card I think. So I need to figure out if the issues do lie with the PSU pretty quickly before my RMA period expires on that as well.

If only I could try this more than once or twice per day.
    Last edited by campbesd; 02-28-2009 at 12:34 AM.
    GA-EP45-UD3P Rev. 1.0 bios F6
    Intel C2D E8400 @ 3Ghz (333x9)
    G-Skill 2x2 GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    WD Caviar Black 500GB
    Asus Radeon HD 4850
    OCZ600SXS PSU
    NZXT Guardian 921

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    If I had to bet! Yako's experience sounds more likely than mine.
    Since your parts are new ,you should be able to return anything faulty.
    Determining if it really is the psu,I dont know how since its running fine aside from cold.
    The loan of/using a spare one would do it of course but that might not be an option.
    For other than mild oclks a decent aftermarket cooler is recommended,but if cpu fan isnt the prob a new cooler would just be annoying.
    Id go with your original plan of fixing the problem first.
    As an aside when I ordered my bits n pieces I had some cash left over on the cc voucher.
    I had just enough left for a $15 "no name" 480w psu,which is in a second pc with my older parts .
    It does run the pc I have now,so I have a backup in case this psu becomes suspect.
    The cooler I have is a coolermaster v8 which is around $50 I think.( I bought mine in europe).
    gotcha, I'm going on spring break in a little over a week, so if I haven't solved anything by then I'm thinking of RMA'ing the PSU. It's made a high pitched whine since I built the PC but I've just dealt with it. If there's a possibility it's both annoying me and causing my cold boot issues then I'll either RMA it or buy a new one. If it still doesn't work after I switch out the RAM, I would think the next most likely culprit would be either the Motherboard or the PSU, from everything I've read. At that point, I might need to start talking with OCZ.
    WD Caviar Black 500GB
    Asus Radeon HD 4850
    OCZ600SXS PSU
    NZXT Guardian 921

So I've developed a new symptom this morning. And this happened on every boot.

Once I got into windows, the mouse shows the "loading" circle next to the mouse pointer for about 3 seconds. Then, the desktop image corrupts and the computer freezes. I see lots of horizontal lines which are distortions of the desktop image.

This came out of the blue. This doesn't happen in safe mode, so I uninstalled the razer software and drivers for the arctosa keyboard I installed this morning and managed to get the machine to boot properly. Strange...

Edit: Yep, so it's definitely the Razer software and drivers. I've never had an issue like this before, but I've installed/uninstalled the drivers and program 3 times, and each time I can replicate the freeze and artifacting. The keyboard works perfectly without the software and drivers though, so I just won't install it I suppose.
    Last edited by campbesd; 02-28-2009 at 02:01 AM.
    WD Caviar Black 500GB
    Asus Radeon HD 4850
    OCZ600SXS PSU
    NZXT Guardian 921

I tried booting with my RAM @ 800 MHz with appropriate voltage settings, and I still had the cold boot crashes.

I swapped RAM with a friend, and her 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz booted without issue in my computer this morning. Meanwhile, my RAM did not have any cold boot issues in her computer either.

I want to test the swapped RAM for a day or two more, but if both sets of RAM experience no more cold boot issues, what does this mean?

Would it just point to incompatibility between my motherboard and my original G-Skill RAM? Or could it just mean that I need to further fine tune the voltages with my original RAM?
    WD Caviar Black 500GB
    Asus Radeon HD 4850
    OCZ600SXS PSU
    NZXT Guardian 921

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Hmm, odd to see a keyboard driver cause screen corruption, but hey I see something new everyday!

As for your ram, it is possible that your board does not like that particular set of memory (model # or just that Particular set?) without more testing it is hard to tell.

What memory did you borrow from your friend? And what Board is she using your memory in?

Hmm, odd to see a keyboard driver cause screen corruption, but hey I see something new everyday!

As for your ram, it is possible that your board does not like that particular set of memory (model # or just that Particular set?) without more testing it is hard to tell.

What memory did you borrow from your friend? And what Board is she using your memory in?
    It's a generic Acer computer. And I'm using generic Acer RAM. I'm looking online to see if I can find the motherboard (I found the model I bought her on Acer's site) but I don't think it's listed.

I've cold booted both computers about 5 times without issue, so I definitely think the problem was in the RAM-Motherboard compatibility.

I'm going to contact G-Skill to see if they have any info on this, or if there is anything they recommend I do. Unfortunately it's clearly not faulty RAM, it's just an incompatibility. Not sure I even have grounds to request an RMA.

I can't decide if I'm going to get new DDR2 1066 RAM or just keep this DDR2-800. Is there a significant difference?

Also, I'm planning on testing out this keyboard driver thing next weekend. Maybe it'll install correctly with the new RAM, who knows?
    WD Caviar Black 500GB
    Asus Radeon HD 4850
    OCZ600SXS PSU
    NZXT Guardian 921

Well 800 vs 1066 all depends on the FSB you want to use, and really most quality 800 will do 1066 with the same timings, and most 1066 will do 800 of course will lower timings.

So I guess, price and FSB should help you decide. As for real world differences, there really wont be any noticeable difference, only in benchmarks

Well 800 vs 1066 all depends on the FSB you want to use, and really most quality 800 will do 1066 with the same timings, and most 1066 will do 800 of course will lower timings.

So I guess, price and FSB should help you decide. As for real world differences, there really wont be any noticeable difference, only in benchmarks
    interesting. I'm planning on buying a CPU cooler and getting the FSB up to 400x9. Price is a factor but not a huge one. I don't care too much what it benchmarks, what I do care about is performance in games.

Should the 400 point me in any specific direction?

Thanks for all your help.
    WD Caviar Black 500GB
    Asus Radeon HD 4850
    OCZ600SXS PSU
    NZXT Guardian 921

Well if you plan to run 1:1 with tight timings then 400 FSB would point you at 800Mhz memory. If you wanted to run faster memory speeds with looser timings then 1066 it would be.

Really either would be good for 400 FSB if that is what you plan, so just get what it the best price for the best quality. And do not be scared to get 4x1Gb either, I like running it much better then 2x2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information