Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am losing my memory...

VimesUK is offline Junior Member

Default Re: I am losing my memory...

The BIOS memory count - both within the BIOS on the bluescreen and in the POST one is not the same as when the 32 bit OS is booted. When you look within the control panel and launch the system details it will show that 4GB is installed but the task manager will show what memory is available for the OS to allocate. This is show in the screengrabs I posted.

So I allocate 256mb for the graphics chip (the BIOS screen shows 3838mb left at the POST screen) and then I find that the system details page will show 4GB installed but the task manager, confirmed by Si-Soft Sandra and Everest, shows that there is only 2.5GB of memory to allocate.

Some motherboards and their memory mapping techniques, along with devices attached and graphics cards, are better than others. Some offer memory remapping options, this board doesn't.

My other Gigabyte motherboard (GA-P35C-DS3R (rev2.0)) allows 3.5GB of memory to be allocated by Vista 32 with a 512mb graphics card installed.

My wife's Abit IP35 XE allows 3.3GB of memory with a 320MB graphics card installed.

This GA-E7AUM-DS2H allows 2.5GB when allocating 256mb of memory to the Graphics chip.
    Last edited by VimesUK; 03-05-2009 at 10:52 PM.
    Gigabyte DS3H Z77 board (being repaired) GA-Z77X-UD5H. 3570k CPU. 2x4GB Corsair LP DDR3 memory. Asus GTX 670 2GB GPU.

Obviously as per yourself I know about the 32bit OS limitation and the way i believe Vista 32bit from SP1 shows the full amount of physical ram installed. Not sure if XP does that on SP3?

Anyway, I wonder if the limitation is hampered more down to an issue with an AMD chip and chipset, compared to an Intel one?
    I was just going to have a look at the MS knowledge base, to see if there was anything on this.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

VimesUK is offline Junior Member

The other two examples that I have noted in my posts both use Intel P35 chipsets and Intel CPU's.
    The board with the problem uses an Intel chip but an NVidia chipset along with the NVidia 9400 IGP.
    I tend to feel that if there had been an Intel chipset available to use then maybe the situation might not have been so restricting in regards to the memory mapping.

There is a link below which gives some useful information...

The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed

which includes as a workaround.....

The BIOS must support the memory remapping feature. The memory remapping feature allows for the segment of system memory that was previously overwritten by the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) configuration space to be remapped above the 4 GB address line. This feature must be enabled in the BIOS configuration utility on the computer. View your computer product documentation for instructions that explain how to enable this feature. Many consumer-oriented computers may not support the memory remapping feature. No standard terminology is used in documentation or in BIOS configuration utilities for this feature. Therefore, you may have to read the descriptions of the various BIOS configuration settings that are available to determine whether any of the settings enable the memory remapping feature
    Last edited by VimesUK; 03-05-2009 at 11:45 PM.
    Gigabyte DS3H Z77 board (being repaired) GA-Z77X-UD5H. 3570k CPU. 2x4GB Corsair LP DDR3 memory. Asus GTX 670 2GB GPU.

That's interesting stuff...

I didn't realise (as i hadn't looked) that your other chipset was Nvidia using an Intel CPU. I tend to know the Intel/Intel chipset GB model numbers but I'm not so good with the AMD/Nvidia based board numbers.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information