Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP Setup Doesn't See Raid Drive

Default XP Setup Doesn't See Raid Drive

Hello all. Looking for help setting up a raid-0 array. I have EP45-UD3P mainboard and two W/D 640 GB Sata drives attached at Sata ports 0 and 1 (intel ports). I set the BIOS SATA Raid/Ahci Mode to RAID and the HD Boot Priority is set to [SCSI-0 : Intel Volume0] first. When I try to install windows (Xp home SP2), the install loads the files but fails when it does not find a hard drive. [Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed...]. I know the drives work as I have had them installed individually. I load the F6 drivers from a floppy drive. I can select the drives and set up the array via Ctl-I. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Q9550 C1 step
    GA-EP45-UD3P bios F7a
    2x2GB G.Skill 1066
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231166
    OCZ Vendetta II HSF
    MSI R4830 video
    HAF-932 case
    XP Home SP3

KayossZero is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Re: XP Setup Doesn't See Raid Drive

Quote Originally Posted by SCTony View Post
    Hello all. Looking for help setting up a raid-0 array. I have EP45-UD3P mainboard and two W/D 640 GB Sata drives attached at Sata ports 0 and 1 (intel ports). I set the BIOS SATA Raid/Ahci Mode to RAID and the HD Boot Priority is set to [SCSI-0 : Intel Volume0] first. When I try to install windows (Xp home SP2), the install loads the files but fails when it does not find a hard drive. [Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed...]. I know the drives work as I have had them installed individually. I load the F6 drivers from a floppy drive. I can select the drives and set up the array via Ctl-I. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    While I didn't have the same issue as you I had to do additional steps to get AHCI mode to work because the Floppy/F6 method didn't work no matter how many times I tried or with different boot drivers from Giga's site/Intel's site or off my original Mobo CD.

Not sure what to do for a raid setup to work with the ICH10R + XP.

For anyone wanting AHCI mode on WinXP after XP is installed use these links.

HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows - PC Perspective Forums (Use the steps here + step below for ICH10R)

PC Perspective Forums - View Single Post - HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows
    Last edited by KayossZero; 02-28-2009 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Typo

Default Re: XP Setup Doesn't See Raid Drive

Thanks for the reply KayossZero. I don't know if it matters but my original XP disc is SP1. I slipstreamed SP2 via nLite. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Q9550 C1 step
    GA-EP45-UD3P bios F7a
    2x2GB G.Skill 1066
    OCZ Vendetta II HSF
    MSI R4830 video
    HAF-932 case
    XP Home SP3

kick is offline Senior Member

I dont have r chipset. Thats one of the reasons i went for ud3 normal,aside from a small cost saving,No interest in raid arrays, tho apparently the ICH10 will work them .
    There is a post in the last 2 days about raid setups n xp tho(somewhere).I replied to it n so did Nickel20 I think.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thanks Kick. I've been looking but haven't found an answer yet. I'll try to find the thread you mentioned.
    Q9550 C1 step
    GA-EP45-UD3P bios F7a
    2x2GB G.Skill 1066
    OCZ Vendetta II HSF
    MSI R4830 video
    HAF-932 case
    XP Home SP3

Not to derail the subject here but having been using raids for a while and making a few mistakes with them i find loading the OS on its own single drive much safer and creating a 2 hard drive raid for data.

I used to run my os off a large raid such as yours and just partitioned a small c: and then another patition for the rest of the data. but when the raid failed on me i had no means to recover anything.. it was quite fustrating.

So now i run my OS on an old (but decently fast) 36gb 10k rpm raptor drive and run my 2x 640gb in raid 0 with all my games and data on it. Sure i might lose some performance on windows boot up time but since i am working on the raid most of the time with movies and games i get most of the speed i need.

Plus its usually easier to install the OS and most times it will detect a single drive and not the raid. and once i load windows i can install raid drivers after for my data.

just a suggestion. =)

Thanks Dred. That may be worth trying as I am going nowhere fast trying to set up this raid. Thanks.
    Q9550 C1 step
    GA-EP45-UD3P bios F7a
    2x2GB G.Skill 1066
    OCZ Vendetta II HSF
    MSI R4830 video
    HAF-932 case
    XP Home SP3

Yay! Writing to you from a raid-equipped computer. I finally got it working. I learned two things in the process: 1. I am a bonehead and 2. Intel ICH10R Sata AHCI Controller does not work as a RAID controller. I was selecting the wrong driver set. It should have been the ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO Sata Raid Controller. (note to self - read more closely) I also learned that if Setup cannot copy the driver files off of the floppy, you need to COPY all the files on the floppy into a sub-directory named A:\$OEM$\TEXTMODE\ (which you have to create).
    Q9550 C1 step
    GA-EP45-UD3P bios F7a
    2x2GB G.Skill 1066
    OCZ Vendetta II HSF
    MSI R4830 video
    HAF-932 case
    XP Home SP3

KayossZero is offline Junior Member

Smile Re: XP Setup Doesn't See Raid Drive

Quote Originally Posted by SCTony View Post
    Yay! Writing to you from a raid-equipped computer. I finally got it working. I learned two things in the process: 1. I am a bonehead and 2. Intel ICH10R Sata AHCI Controller does not work as a RAID controller. I was selecting the wrong driver set. It should have been the ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO Sata Raid Controller. (note to self - read more closely) I also learned that if Setup cannot copy the driver files off of the floppy, you need to COPY all the files on the floppy into a sub-directory named A:\$OEM$\TEXTMODE\ (which you have to create).
    That's cool, I was considering going a raid route when I built my new rig and adding a second Western Digital 640g Caviar Black (which is screaming fast drive even by its self btw) but I decided against it after flipping through benchmarks and seeing the fail rates reported by users.

Having said that though in case I ever do it in the future it's good to know it does work for XP. I hate Vista and prefer my TinyXP09 100%!

Hi KayossZero. I know what you mean about the failure rates. I dont think there is such a thing as a reliable hard drive. I am glad I setup the Raid(1st time)- the speed increase is very noticeable. HDTune reports 177 MB/s compared to 93 for the drives singly. As for disk failures, I installed a Samsung 1 TB to use for backing up my photos/vids/important stuff. The two 640s in Raid = 1.2TB so i should be pretty well set for storage. TweakTown is a great site. Keep up the good work everyone.
    Q9550 C1 step
    GA-EP45-UD3P bios F7a
    2x2GB G.Skill 1066
    OCZ Vendetta II HSF
    MSI R4830 video
    HAF-932 case
    XP Home SP3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information