Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problems with EP35-DS4 mobo in new build

Default Problems with EP35-DS4 mobo in new build

First of all, my equipment:

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 motherboard
    Intel Core2Quad Q6600 processor
    G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI 2x2GB Dual Channel RAM
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 PCIe2.0 graphics card
    CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Duo 600W PSU

IDE HDD from previous computer with XP installation already on (didn't feel like re-installing XP SP2, lol)
    SATA HDD used as a storage drive

Now, on to the problem.

After assembling everything, hooking up all the cables, and making sure everything is plugged into the proper place, with power to everything, I turn the machine on.

All of the LED test lights on the motherboard light up (I assume that is how they illuminate for normal operation), and the computer shows the processor information, does a memory test, and then scans for HDDs. After everything checks out good, it acts like it's going to start booting...then it resets and goes through the whole POST process again, and again, and again.

I tried flashing the BIOS from F2 to F5 using the Qflash utility on-board, and it still does the same thing, with no change.

I haven't messed with the BIOS settings individually, but I did load the optimized BIOS setting, with the same outcome resulting, as well as loading the fail-safe BIOS setting. It did the same thing there, as well.

Any help would be appreciated in getting this machine running, considering that I've been working on getting the parts to build this thing for over 6 months now, and I'm tired of using my 2003 Athlon XP 2800+ machine. :P

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Problems with EP35-DS4 mobo in new build

Well for starters you want to use optimized defaults not fail safe.

You will have to do a clean install if you are coming from that machine you mentioned with the Athlon in it. You cannot just move a OS Install from board to board, sometimes yes like from P35 to P45 but it is not advised. Coming from AMD to Intel it is for sure not going to work at all.

As for your Drives, if you are using A IDE drive as your OS drive, you will need to be sure the IDE ports are enabled in the BIOS. I think they are by default, but you should check to be sure.

They are in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page >>>

Integrated Peripherals

Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well for starters you want to use optimized defaults not fail safe.

You will have to do a clean install if you are coming from that machine you mentioned with the Athlon in it. You cannot just move a OS Install from board to board, sometimes yes like from P35 to P45 but it is not advised. Coming from AMD to Intel it is for sure not going to work at all.

As for your Drives, if you are using A IDE drive as your OS drive, you will need to be sure the IDE ports are enabled in the BIOS. I think they are by default, but you should check to be sure.

They are in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page >>>

Integrated Peripherals

Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE
    Thank you for getting back to me on this, first of all. :)

Ok. I set those two to the settings you suggested. However, it's still doing the soft reset cycle, in that it does the processor, RAM and IDE checks (in which it recognizes both the IDE and SATA drives), then just resets to do the same thing over and over in an endless cycle.

I tried setting the boot order to boot from CD-ROM, so I can do a fresh install of XP, but it's acting like it's not even getting to the point of booting from the CD-ROM (let alone anything) before it soft resets.

On a side note, I just hope that it's not the mobo that's bad...

When does it exactly reset? How long does it take before it resets after the RAM and drives were initialized in POST?
    Try the stuff in the link in my sig, problems like this are often caused by one of the things listed in there^^

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    When does it exactly reset? How long does it take before it resets after the RAM and drives were initialized in POST?
    Try the stuff in the link in my sig, problems like this are often caused by one of the things listed in there^^
    It resets right after detecting the IDE and SATA drives. The whole check process takes roughly 5-8 seconds (from power-on to the machine resetting), then the monitor flickers off, like the machine has been reset via CTRL-ALT-DELETE or the reset button, and starts to run though the checks again.

I tried the suggestions from your link, and the results are the same. =(

I just don't understand...I've never had this kind of problem in a build before.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Can you try with only one stick of ram in slot one? Do you have any other DDR2 you could also try with?

Does it stay in the BIOS fine? I mean can you enter the BIOS and be there for a long time and it does not reset?

If that is ok, do you have another IDE CD Drive to try out? Are you sure you have the jumper in the correct spot for this drive and the drive in the correct spot in the cable per the jumper settings? Have you tried another cable?

Wait, are you running IDE CD and IDE Hard drive? I have seen some issues like that, you may need to either get a SATA CD Drive, or install XP onto your SATA Drive with only the CD Drive on the IDE Cable

Thread Information