Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5(F5) Ubuntu 8.10 Network Bug

Default GA-EX58-UD5(F5) Ubuntu 8.10 Network Bug

I decided to give Ubuntu 8.10 a go. The install went pretty normal, installed it off a usb drive. After the install I let Ubuntu run its system updates. After rebooting I found my network wasn't working. No network adapters found. So I reboot check the bios, both settings were enabled for the network adapters. So I check the other options, and my usb drive does not show either for a drive that is bootable in the bios. So I pull out my restore cd, and restore the system to windows. After windows loads my network adapters don't exist, no network adapters found in the device manager. After a cold reboot, my usb drive still doesn't show as an option to boot off of. This point I just decided clear the cmos and after a cold boot, the devices were back and so was my usb. So I tried ubuntu again, and the same thing happened with the network and usb drive. So I'm guessing there a bug in ubuntu after updating that modifying some part of the bios that just kills the network adapters and the usb drive. I also found that the windows update site reports drivers for the network card. Though these drivers when updated dont seem to work.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-03-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5(F5) Ubuntu 8.10 Network Bug

How does Ubuntu Live work? I mean just running the OS without install and updating only the network drivers?

I do not think a OS can touch the BIOS, so something else must be in action here

As for your windows issues, you would need to install the latest Intel INF Chipset drivers and reboot then install your LAN Drivers again. Did you do it this way, just checking

I only ran live to install the os to the hard drive. After installing, rebooting, checking for updates, and installing the updates. Upon rebooting the bug happen with the network

So it was fine running live then, just until the install and eventual updates? How does it work if you run Live and then ONLY install the network driver? Just trying to see if maybe some other driver/update causes the issue or if it is indeed the network driver?

Have you asked about this at the Ubuntu forums? If not, you should as they always seem to have great answers and this may have already been addressed there? Just trying to help you some, not blow you off at all. I just know they are great there is all >>>
    Ubuntu Forums

Quote Originally Posted by thraxed View Post
    I decided to give Ubuntu 8.10 a go. The install went pretty normal, installed it off a usb drive. After the install I let Ubuntu run its system updates. After rebooting I found my network wasn't working. No network adapters found. So I reboot check the bios, both settings were enabled for the network adapters. So I check the other options, and my usb drive does not show either for a drive that is bootable in the bios. So I pull out my restore cd, and restore the system to windows. After windows loads my network adapters don't exist, no network adapters found in the device manager. After a cold reboot, my usb drive still doesn't show as an option to boot off of. This point I just decided clear the cmos and after a cold boot, the devices were back and so was my usb. So I tried ubuntu again, and the same thing happened with the network and usb drive. So I'm guessing there a bug in ubuntu after updating that modifying some part of the bios that just kills the network adapters and the usb drive. I also found that the windows update site reports drivers for the network card. Though these drivers when updated dont seem to work.
    That is very strange, but it happened almost the same to me:
    I tried to install Mandriva Linux 2009.0 off a mini-CD that they provide, and at first everything went OK: the installation was essentially done via network, so my computer was downloading and installing packages for some 4 hours with no problem!
    Upon first boot into the OS, no network cards! So I erased everything and tried to re-install. This time the network cards were at first detected by the installer, but it was impossible to use them, they could not be configured or something. And each time a network card failed in the installer, then it disappeared from the list of peripherals shown at boot time! Only after switching off the PSU completely did the network cards re-appear, only to disappear again during installation.

I emailed Gigabyte about this and waiting for their answer.

Let us know the reply, I have seen a few wonder if Ubuntu is OK or not. I would check the forum I linked as well, as you can see the OP might have and never came back so maybe he got the correct driver/method to use there

Unfortunately, the reply from Gigabyte did not really address this issue, even though I explicitly pointed them to this discussion.
    For a solution, see my post
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ex58...tml#post291691
    in the "official" thread for this problem.

Thread Information