Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EP45-DS3L will only successfully post from cold boot

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: EP45-DS3L will only successfully post from cold boot

You guys have almost the same cpu too.
    Maybe if one gets a fix ,it will work for both.
    I dont know enough about the board to suggest anything other than the basic stuff,such as psu ,connections etc.
    Updating bios is never supposed to be done from inside the operating system,thats been said for years.I dont know why mbrd manufacturers still supply the utilities to do it from the os.
    Can the memory test be disabled in bios?
    On a it worked before ,it should work again basis?
    While waiting for more informed responses,you could allways google the problem.

"EP-45-DS3L boot problem" or variations on that.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Hey Kick, i was thinking exactly the same thing, Memory test is were we are having the problem, i have been looking for a way to disable it, on another note, how can we set the tRC value in this board?, i have read on the review section of NewEgg.com for the ram that i bough that it needs to be set at 30, i just dont know how to set it os see what value is getting.

Also i got the SPD info from the memory, and i'm assuming that the timings listed there is what we need to set right?.

But again, IS THERE ANY WAY TO DISABLE MEMORY TEST!!! lol

Thanks for helping us guys

Hey Cesuslow, i found out something very interesting, let me ask you, do you have any USB External harddrive or anytype of USB drive connected with the "USB Legacy" option in "Integrated Periperals" Enabled on the bios?

Guess why I dont get past the "Memory Test" on the Post Screen?, apparently my board does not like me having "USB Legacy" option enabled while my external harddrive is pluged in.

I dont know if that has anything to do with memory getting passing the POST Screen test, but USB Legacy is something that i defenitely need!!! and if that is the problem can it be fixed somehow??

Actually I do have 2 USB drives connected to the machine and I have the "USB Legacy" option enabled in the bios. Give me a bit and I'll see if removing that option will allow my system to boot properly.

In fact this gives me a bit of hope since now that I am on version F10 the reboot actually happens directly after the memory test and right before my system starts to detect its connected peripherals.

Wish me luck.

You gentlemen are the best. My problems are solved, complete details to follow:

The "Legacy USB Storage Detect" option under "Integrated Peripherals" is enabled by default. With this option enabled my system is only able to boot if there are no USB storage devices connected to the computer. Therefore I was able to cold boot the machine since the USB drives had not yet powered on (or registered) during the post, but for any subsequent reboots they were on and ready to be detected.

There have been two methods with which I have been able to successfully reboot my machine. Method A is to leave "USB Legacy Storage Detect" enabled and to disconnect all USB storage devices before rebooting (the uncool way) and Method B is to turn off USB Legacy Storage Detect and run the system normally (the cool way).

I've chosen Method B and everything is running just fine.

allanmejia,

You should only need the Legacy USB Storage Detect option if you need the USB devices to be detected during the system POST. If you are not trying to flash your BIOS off a USB device you should be able to turn this option off and still access your USB storage devices from your operating system of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by cesuslow View Post
    You gentlemen are the best. My problems are solved, complete details to follow:

The "Legacy USB Storage Detect" option under "Integrated Peripherals" is enabled by default. With this option enabled my system is only able to boot if there are no USB storage devices connected to the computer. Therefore I was able to cold boot the machine since the USB drives had not yet powered on (or registered) during the post, but for any subsequent reboots they were on and ready to be detected.

There have been two methods with which I have been able to successfully reboot my machine. Method A is to leave "USB Legacy Storage Detect" enabled and to disconnect all USB storage devices before rebooting (the uncool way) and Method B is to turn off USB Legacy Storage Detect and run the system normally (the cool way).

I've chosen Method B and everything is running just fine.
    Nice piece of info this. Thanks for sharing.

Cesuslow

I'm very glad that you were able to get things working, but unfortunately for me i have the need to boot from USB device, I use the USB EFix chip on my build to boot multiple operating systems including OS X, and disabling this option will mean not being able to boot from it, comes the worst i would just unplug the external harddrive, provided that the Efix chip is able to boot by itself, but that also means that i will not have a backup system in place for OS X Time Machine and Windows Backup i dont want to keep having to unplug and plug the darn thing everytime!

Guess is time for an External eSATA harddrive!, no excuse for Gigabyte not to fix this issue!!

But i'm glad i was able to help

Thumbs up Re: EP45-DS3L will only successfully post from cold boot

Problem solved,

Since i do need USB Legacy enabled, the only solution for me was to install a USB 2.0 PCI card into the mainboard and connect External HDD on to it, that will isolate it from being detected on the POST Screen.

Thanks to everyone who has been trying to help. now i can concentrate on tweaking the board to overclock to 3.5GHz of which i may still need some help!

Thanks again.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Glad to see you found your issue, that is why I suggest it disabled in my template as it does cause random issues

Disabled would only affect USB Devices in DOS or Qflash, so it can be disabled and will not affect anything in windows as said above

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information