Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP45-DS3L will only successfully post from cold boot

Default EP45-DS3L will only successfully post from cold boot

I have recently built a machine with the following components:

Gigabyte EP45-DS3L (F8) motherboard
    2x2GB Super Talent DDR2 800 T8UB2GC5
    GeForce 9800 GT 512Mb
    Antec 500W PSU

The system has successfully installed Windows Vista Business x64 and an installation of Fedora 10, but it will only successfully restart is the switch on the PSU is flipped for ~30 seconds. Any other attempt at restarting the system will result in a rebooting loop from the main POST screen.

Initially it will display the motherboard and bios version with no system beep, hang for ~5 seconds then reboot.

Second try will successfully identify the motherboard, bios version, and processor. The system will then hang for ~5 seconds half way through printing the memory test ("Memory Te" ---> reboot).

The third automatic attempt will successfully complete the memory test (though with a 5 second hang between Memory Te and printing the rest of the line) and then reboot after identifying the RAM operating in dual channel interleaved.

From here will will continue to reboot in the same manner until power to the PSU is removed.

I have run memtest86+ on both sticks and they passed with zero errors.

I have tried setting my MCH voltage to 1.3 instead of 1.1 and my DRAM voltage to 1.9 instead of the auto detected 1.8. This did not remove the problem.

I tried updating the bios to F10 using a floppy and the QFlash utility, but after receiving the "Bios update complete" message I am greeted by the Award Bios BootBlock v1.0 and a hang until I disconnect all peripherals (all harddrives and optical drives) from the system and allow the dual bios to recover back to version F8.

I have no idea why I am unable to update my bios, and I am at my wits end about why it will only successfully post from a cold boot. When it does successfully post it boots into whichever operating system is installed just fine and runs without issues.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing such strange set of problems? I'm afraid to just ignore them on the off chance that my cold boot trick stops working and I'm left with a brick at the worst possible moment.

Default Re: EP45-DS3L will only successfully post from cold boot

Hm, do you have another PSU you could try, this kind of thing can be caused by the PSU.

Also, is the system completely stable in Windows? Try running Prime 95 or even LinX to test this. Memtest does not always find errors unfortunately (nor does any other stability program, testing in several different ones is always a good idea if stability is uncertain).

PS: Also try removing the mainboard battery and elaving it out for a while, it's always worth trying, this has solved a great many of weird issues.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Are you SURE you are trying to install the correct BIOS for your boards model and revision?

Maybe your floppy drive or diskette is faulty, you can flash from Qflash with a USB Stick. Have you tried that method?

Did you try MCH 1.24 -1.26 and see if it helps, if not try 1.05 as well.

I cannot find that model # at Super Talent's site, is it very old or what? It may just not be fully compatible with this board, do you have any other DDR2 you could test with or borrow to test with? What does the sticker say for voltages? If nothing, how about CPU-z in the SPD Tab?
    CPUID

Thanks for the quick replies.

There is a possibility that the problem is PSU related. I originally built the box with a very old power supply, and after realizing that it was not going to cut it I purchased my current Antec Eathwatts 500W PSU (Model Rev: 00F). However, I will admit that there could have been damage caused by my old PSU (Antec TrueBlue 480W circa. 2003) during that first day while I was assembling the box.

I pulled the mainboard battery for a few hours - no change in the system behavior. Likewise there was no change when resetting the CMOS with the jumper.

I also noticed that the model of my Super Talent memory is not on their website, though it is clearly printed with the company name on the DIMMs themselves. The stickers on the RAM does not have any information about operating voltage, but according to CPUz they are operating at 1.8V.

The system is currently running Prime95 with no issues, but I will let it run for a few more hours just to make sure.

There is definitally a possibility that my floppy drive is not operating correctly. It is 6 years old and pulled from my previous gaming box. I'll give updating from a usb key a shot once I'm confident that Prime95 doesn't crash the machine.

To be honest, what really confuses me about this problem is how stable the system is once it makes it past the POST. In all my previous experience if something is wonky at the bios level then everything else on the computer will be far less then stable. This system was able to run for about 10 days straight with no problems under Linux, and I've yet to have a BSOD now that I have loaded Vista on it instead.

My current questions:
    Has anyone else on this forum ever used or seen this model of Super Talent memory?

What is the normal length of time to let Prime95 run before a system is deemed stable?

What version of BIOS would you recommend I update to? F9, F10, or perhaps try to reload F8 from a USB key on the off chance that the image stored in my backup BIOS is currupt? In fact, now that I think about it I believe this problem only arose after the first time I uncussefully tried to flash my bios. Could this be my best course of action?

On a seperate note:

Something I would like to add for anyone else having trouble with this board: The Gigabyte dual bios will not engage if there are any hard disks attached to the mother board. I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but it definitally took me a number of hours to figure out after staying at the "Award Bios BootBlock v1.0 ...." screen that appears after a bad bios flash.

The floppy drive is definitively faulty. It cannot even successfully format a disk.

Guess that is what I get for setting up the bios flash disk in another machine and never making sure that my hardware on this side was good to go.

Qflash question: Will I be able to use Qflash from a FAT32 partition on a 500GB external hard drive? Or do I need to find a smaller USB key?

I was wrong again. The floppy drive was not faulty, but the disk was. I have now successfully updated to bios version F10, but the problem continues. Now every time the machine attempts to boot without killing power to the PSU first it does the following:

- Identifies the Motherboard and bios version in POST
    - Identifies the processor
    - Starts the memory test, hangs for 3-5 seconds before it finishes printing the rest of the line to the screen
    - Then the system reboots again

This will continue until the power to the PSU is killed.

Do you think the changes to my MCH voltage or DRAM voltage may fix this? Or is there some other underlying problem with my motherboard itself?

Thanks again for your help. Just figuring out the BIOS problem has already made my day.

Here are my current readings from CPUz. I did note that it is reporting that my memory is operating at 400MHz. This struck me as odd since it should be DDR2 800. Could this be a clue as to why it will fail to boot repeatedly during / just after the memory test at POST?

I'm open to any suggestions as to how to get rid of this behavior.
    Last edited by cesuslow; 03-04-2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Changed to smaller image file

kick is offline Senior Member

Hello fellow q8200 user :0.
    The frequency cpuz shows for your memory is 50% of the speed its operating at
    mine would show 490 because its operating at 980 mhz.
    The cold boot thing I dont know ,there was a similar post recently scan back thru the posts.
    Last edited by kick; 03-04-2009 at 09:30 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Aha, thanks Kick. Now I can go back to worrying about my main problem, the cold boot thing.

Hey there Cesuslow

It seems that you an I are having very similar issues with the exact same MotherBoard (see my post [Link]) but mine has problems on Cold Boot, i'm still trying to figure out what the hell is going on with this board not going through the POST Screens!!!

I'm praying for someone to be able to help the both of us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information