Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random boot problems EX58 UD4P

Default Random boot problems EX58 UD4P

Hello, I am experiencing random boot problems. Sometimes I will push power button and my system will start and then just sit at black screen, Optical drive spins up and stays spinning. Other times I don't hear the HDD's spin up just system fans come on and black screen. I can hold power button and reset then it boots fine. The only common thing I notice is that my monitor is off when I power up and it seems to be when I notice the problem. I am running Bios version F2, did a Bios update address a problem like this? Other then that I haven't had any problems except the double boot issue when I tried to use Easytune 6 to OC.

Thanks for your help, Munch
    System info: Intel I7 920 // Coolermaster Centurion 590 // Gigabyte GA-EX58 UD4P // Coolermaster V8 // 6g (3x2g) Corsair Dominator 1333 //EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC 2g // SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256gb //Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Random boot problems EX58 UD4P

Not sure if a BIOS update would fix that, but F2 is pretty old and I would personally update for sure to the latest beta or latest Final

EasyTune should only be used for checking voltages or temps, ect not overclocking. Of course it would be fine to test some small things overclocking wise in Easytune, but most of your overclocking should be done in the BIOS. So you are sure of what I mean when I say "Small Testing" that means a reboot would not be required, and you would use the apply button not the save button

I have the same board, and the only BIOS so far that has fixed the double/triple false start for me when overclocked is the F6c BIOS. Most all of the newer BIOS's are fine at stock though, which you likely know. Latest BIOS is F7c, they are working on the double/triple start and S3 resume when overclocked, no luck yet on my end with those issues and that BIOS though

I wonder if my startup options are configured right? I have no idea what should be set to what either!! I know that when I first push power button my monitor doesn't come on like my old pc did. also my keyboard and mouse seem to be recognized by the system a lot slower then they used to. Then again maybe that is normal, I have very little experience with hands on stuff with PC's so...........

Thanks for your help!!

Also as far as easytune I just used it to see if my system would OC to the settings available, I reset back to stock after I tried it.
    System info: Intel I7 920 // Coolermaster Centurion 590 // Gigabyte GA-EX58 UD4P // Coolermaster V8 // 6g (3x2g) Corsair Dominator 1333 //EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC 2g // SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256gb //Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Does what you describe above happen at stock speeds? Just checking because if you are overclocking that slow monitor/keyboard/mouse thing may be due to your system doing a triple false start (Something they are working to correct).

If you are overclocking, and you think this may be what is happening you can check be opening your case and listen closely. You would be able to hear your GFX Card fans spinup 2-3 times when you start the system instead of a normal once

I wonder if my startup options are configured right? I have no idea what should be set to what either!!
    What are you unsure of there?

I am at stock speeds when I have this issue, but like I said it only happens maybe 1 time out of 20 startups.
    Regarding startup I don't understand what all the settings are for I guess. I thought legacy support needed to be enabled, or is that for PS/2 connected keyboard and mouse only?
    I only have my old PC and work PC to compare starup with. Both seem to show something on my monitor as soon as power button is pressed(hope this makes sense). I leave my monitor in standby power and the light glows amber, when I power on it takes a few seconds to go from amber to green. By the time the monitor is active I am already into the boot cycle, I don't see the splash screen showing options for entering bios or setup. If I restart I can then see the splash screen and setup screen from gigabyte. On my work PC as soon as I hit power the screen comes on and it displays Dell logo and startup options.
    I have my old CRT connected with the DVI-VGA adapter, could this be part of the problem?
    Sorry if I sound like a complete IDIOT!

Ahh well if it only happens one out of 20 times, it could possibly be anything.

Legacy USB Setting is for using USB Devices in DOS, or USB Device in Qflash. You can disable that or leave it enabled if you like. Just remember it is disabled if you disable it, so you dont wonder why USB Wont work in Qflash sometime down the road

I completely get what you are saying, thanks for explaining.

Ya, I do think that may be the issue for two reasons. One old CRT's sometimes have a tough time keeping up with today's graphics when they are cold so that would be one reason it seems slow at startup. And two even if it was warm, sometimes you may not see all the pre-post pages or it will skip one or more for similar reasons the CRT cannot keep up with the DATA Coming thru the cable as fast as your 4870 is putting it out.

This works in reverse as well, if you use a old card on a new monitor some screens may never be shown as the card cannot put out data as fast as the DVI cable can take it in, so some of the data never makes it to the screen before more data is sent. Kind of a Data Skip I suppose is what it would be If that makes any sense

Legacy support is disabled in my bios, should I leave it disabled or enable it?
    Yes, what you said makes sense..
    thanks, and as far as OC'ing I will figure that out later.
    I have a weird issue with my corsair memory. From corsair forum, I was told corsair doesn't make DDR3 1333 Dominator. My system came with 1333 dominator memory(I sent a photo to them). I am in the process of having corsair figure out which memory I have. I am not sure what timings to set for OC'ing..

Very strange..

I would leave it disabled if you think it may be giving you issues. Just remember if you want to Qflash you need to enable it first and reboot.

Wow, ya that is strange???? Post me a Screenshot of CPU-z SPD Tab and let's have a look!

I don't find any Dominators 1333Mhz either so maybe you got robbed? Do they have the dominator heatsinks at least? Are you in the US or elsewhere?

Here is the CPU-Z

pic of memory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information