Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 fan speed control not saving

Default GA-EX58-UD5 fan speed control not saving

Hi,

GA-EX58-UD5, bios F4, Zalman 9700, i7 920, G.Skill 1600 x 3.

When I "enable" the fan speed control in the hardware section in the CMOS settings and save it with F10, the CMOS "forgets" the setting and reverts back to disable. Any ideas? The CMOS remembers other stuff like my memory settings.

This is a three-pin fan. On my AMD GA-MS790X-UD4 with the same fan this feature works great.

Thanks in advance.

Will

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 fan speed control not saving

anyone?

kick is offline Senior Member

I dont know about a 3 pin fan auto adjust on your board.
    The fan is running full speed all the time?
    But just for ideas.
    Does the ex58 have the 2 methods of fan speed regulation in the bios?
    If it does try the other one.
    Other "idea" would be to load and save the optimum defaults in the bios see if fan speed regulation is on then when you reboot .
    If it is,enter your old settings and save those.
    If it isnt try turning it on n bios and see if it works.

Sorry I dont have the "3 pin cpu fan on ex58 lowdown",but some action is better than none eh
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Is this the only setting you are changing? Just wondering if you are also overclocking and that is failing because if so all BIOS defaults will be loaded instead of your settings that failed.

You will see a red warning box when you enter the MIT Section if this is the case, your memory, ect settings will still Appear to be set/in use but they will not be if you see this warning box.

Other then that Maybe you can try a profile to see if that helps. Set your settings to what you want and then go to the MAIN page of the BIOS and hit F11 for save and name this profile and then save and apply and reboot and see if your fan setting is still set. If it is not, go to the MAIN page of the BIOS and load your Profile F12 and then save and apply and reboot back to the BIOS and see if the setting is now still set.

What setting are you setting anyway? You wont be able to set PWM, so just wanted to check what you were using. And are you using the Zalman controller as well or not?

Changing the fan speed control type from "Auto" to "Voltage" fixed the problem.

I have XMP memory and the bios does that double take on boot up where it shuts off for a second and then starts. I think that this interferes with the fan control type Auto detection, but that's a guess.

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Ahh, well at least you got it figured out a little bit.

What QPI Voltage do you have set or is set by your XMP Profile? Are you overclocking?

What BIOS are you using? I think the latest Beta fixes the QPI/double/triple false start issue if you are using more then 1.28V

QPI voltage set by profile to 1.175. No overclocking. The bios I left at F4.

Hmm, well maybe that is too low for your CPU, but I can say that BIOS for sure does not have the false start fix.

I think they have it almost ready for UD5, I know the Extreme latest one fixed it, but those are all fixes for overclockers. You should not have the issue with no overclock unless the QPI you are using is not enough. And yes, default could be to little as there is no way a memory company could guess what your specific CPU needs. I personally have no clue why XMP includes QPI Voltage, maybe to give users a idea of where to start guessing?

I think you may just need to update to the latest Final BIOS for your board, and maybe use a bit more QPI and your issues would be fixed. I have not ran any stock tests concerning QPI Voltage, but I can say all CPU's are different so one may need 1.175 and another may need 1.25 for the same stable stock Freq and ram speed

Lsdmeasap,

Thanks for your help. The system works well other than the false start issue. Do you recommend I update to F5, or wait for F6? I will try to look into whether there is any reason to override the QPI voltage and bump it up a bit. I have been stability testing with 32-bit everest and 64-bit linux mprime and over a couple of weeks I got only one error in everest after 9 hours. When I updated everest to the latest beta I haven't seen that error repeated (don't know what it was). Solid memtest86++ also (18 hours).

Thx

Will

If it was me? I would use the latest Beta until the final is ready. I update my systems always to the latest Beta's unless I find a beta I like, then I keep it until final is out.

Well the QPI Voltage may or may not cause errors, but more could help with your bootup situation that is why I suggested it as a test and especially thought you may need it since you have this issue and are not even overclocking..

If you are running your memory at 1600Mhz, that is likely for sure not enough QPI voltage, and you may need a MCH Core bump in voltage as well

So I would give it a bump and see if it helps, if not try F5 or the latest Beta and see how it is then in Auto to With a QPI Bump or wait for the final as it should be done pretty soon
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-13-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information