Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-MA790GP-UD4H problem, help!!

Default GA-MA790GP-UD4H problem, help!!

So...i just got this new rig, GA-MA790GP-UD4H , phenom II 940, 2*hyperX 1066 , a WD 640 Blue and a 600W PS.

- The thing runs slower than my prehistoric P3 rig. It took me about 2hrs to just install XP.......and it takes about 10min to open, takes about 30min to copy a 1.4gig folder from a partition to another......

I
    checked the RAM's on my 4200+ rig and they work fine, the cpu temp is 21c stable thanks to the silent knightII.... don't wana mess with bios just yet.....

Oh and im using the on board graphics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....thank you for your time.

Default Re: GA-MA790GP-UD4H problem, help!!

Post a screenshot of Crystal Disk Mark please, it benchmarks your hard drive.

not sure what that means, it took like 30min to complete this test..

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

OUCH!!! Ya, your disk or disk settings are for sure messed up!

Here is how that should look with a normal disk in proper working order, just to give you an idea of how it should look, and so you can be assured the disk or disk settings is the issue here.

And I just thought I would check out this program as I always use HD Tach RW myself to bench disks

(Seagate ST3250310AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache)

(Seagate ST3250410AS Raid 0 3x250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache)

First, did you check for and remove any jumpers on the back of your drive? If not, do so now. Then please post us some images of your BIOS pages that are disk related. I have little AMD Knowledge, but I can see Disk settings for sure to see if they are wrong somehow. Also please do note to use what Port # you have you OS Installed into, should be the #0 Zero port

This is a SATA Drive correct? While you wait on some replies here I would try a different cable to see if things improve any after checking for a jumper. Sometimes a bad cable can cause various issues.

Thanks Lsdmeasap for your reply,

- I found after changing the sata2 port from sata2-0(original) to sata2-1..
    improves the speed alot.

- This is a benchmark after changing the port on the motherboard

- Not realy sure if this is good or bad for a caviar blue 640

Oh and yea its a SATA but, i didn't find any kind of jumpers in there...and im not sure what you mean by port number of the OS system... i setup the winxp using the sata2-0 port on my motherboard...

Anyway thanks alot for your help
    Last edited by shalldoom; 03-08-2009 at 04:35 PM.

That's what it should look like! Average at around 90 MB/s is normal for HDs.

I like Crystal Disk mark for a quick speed check as it's very simple :)

Yeap looks good!

What I meant about ports was on the board you can see the ports are all labeled with tiny writing near them. You want to use Port 0, the first port out of all of the ports you have.

Not sure what you changed or said about changing as it sounds like you said you changed from port SATA2_0 to port SATA2_0?

I just mentioned the Jumper because some drives ship out with a Jumper on them that limits the operation speed to SATAI

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yeap looks good!

What I meant about ports was on the board you can see the ports are all labeled with tiny writing near them. You want to use Port 0, the first port out of all of the ports you have.

Not sure what you changed or said about changing as it sounds like you said you changed from port SATA2_0 to port SATA2_0?

I just mentioned the Jumper because some drives ship out with a Jumper on them that limits the operation speed to SATAI

-Yea sorry, was a typo. I meant i changed the cable from the port labled SATA2-0 port to SATA2-1 and the thing works fast now...a bad port maybe?

Anyways, thanks alot for your help

Well, i finally found out what was wrong with the thing, it was the crappy PSU.....changed to an old 450 i had 3 years ago and the thing is now blazing fast!!

What?

I thought you just moved the disk and fixed it? Ya, when you can buy a new PSU, soon as you can! A PSU is the single most important thing in your system, and you dont want to use a old or cheap one for sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information