Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Will anyone please help me with EP45-UD3P?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Will anyone please help me with EP45-UD3P?

Ahh, oK marc001, just wanted to be sure of your settings you were using right now. If they are the same as on page 2/3 then I will have a look and advise back once I get back in tonight. Sorry but I am on my way out the door right now

I agree MCH Core looks Very high for 2x1GB, more is not always best. Ill have a look and advise when I get back in

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ahh, oK marc001, just wanted to be sure of your settings you were using right now. If they are the same as on page 2/3 then I will have a look and advise back once I get back in tonight. Sorry but I am on my way out the door right now

I agree MCH Core looks Very high for 2x1GB, more is not always best. Ill have a look and advise when I get back in
    Actually I have updated my settings and and will put what I'm running now in a new post. It seems ok so far, prime stable for a couple of hours and gamed for about an hour with no crashes, but you may notice settings that are 2 high where as I wouldn't know. I'm a little busy now as well, but will give you new settings asap.

Thanks so much for your time and help.

marc

Please do try to keep them all here so we don't get lost
    Thanks, and yes I'll stay in this thread. Below are settings I tried on the weekend. It's almost there but need tweaking. I ran prime stable for like 2 hrs and then gamed a bit. It crashed once during gaming, so something is still wrong.

**Please note that the settings for volatges are what shows up in ET except cpu voltage which I set manually. Most everything as you will see is on auto becuase frankly I was waiting to hear from you so as not to get too far off the path and confuse myself. I tend to get confused as to what I have changed and what worked/didn't work.

It turns out I can run ram at 1:1 with 9x467 if I set memory latch at 400 and use 2.00D which puts ram at 934. This is not ideal, and it would be best to get closer to 1066, I'm told. But the only other option is to run ram at 1121 with 2.40B, and thats too high. I tried another combination suggested to me 9.5x442 with ram at 1061.....I think, can't remember now....but it will not run prime for more than 10 seconds and often causes reboot. So it looks like the only option is 9x467 with ram at 1:1. But you probably have better ideas. My goal is to get 4.2Ghz or above. I can get many combinations below that for instance the built in ET OC of 9x450 ram at 1080 and is prime stable for hours and hours. Also I can set 9.5x422 with ram at 1:1 844 and it's stable as well. I just can't seem to get the elusive 4.2Ghz. Keep in mind that I monitor temps and any OC so far doesn't push the cpu past about 55C. I'm air cooling.

I'm sorry that I haven't given you much to work with. As I mentioned, right now most settings are auto, because once I set mutiplier, frequency memory latch and 2.00D multiplier and it booted, I almost fell off my chair!! I didn't think it would even boot with ram at 1:1 because all attempts to try and run 9.5x442 with ram at 1:1 wiould either boot and then bsod, or not boot at all. So it was a complete shock that I got this OC of 9x467 ram 1:1 934. So I just ran prime for a couple of hours on large FFT's and it didn't error. So I fired up Far Cry 2 and FEAR 2 for about an hour. It locked up once and was forced to reset. I stopped messing with it because like I said, I would end up changing values and then forgetting what helped and what didn't. So this OC has potential to work. I just need your Super Guru Powers to show me how to get it totally stable. But as I said, If you have better ideas with multipliers and frequencies, I'm open to it. I just would like to get to 4.2Ghz.

** Also note that I noticed in HWMonitor the values below I noted. But I don't know what they are:

TMPIN0 56C TMPIN1 58C I don't know what these temps are for, are these the board temps (northbridge/southbridge)??

**Also not there are a couple of settings that I can't remember. I'm at work writing this, but can double chaeck when I get home and clarify if you need it.

Below is 9x467 with ram at 1:1 934:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.5 or 0 tried both
    *running 9 right now. Also tried 8.5 and wouldn't boot.
    CPU Frequency ...........................:467
    *442x9.5 will not boot or will bsod. Right now @ 467x9. I ran prime stable for 2 hrs and can game but it locks up sometimes.

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............:467
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Auto

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 0
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 0

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: Standard (But tried Turbo and can't remeber what I letf it at)
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled (But tried Auto and can't remeber what I letf it at)
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: 400
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00D

Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 934
    *With 442x9.5 tried 884, but won't boot or bsod.
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................5
    tRCD .........................................7
    tRP'...........................................7
    tRAS..........................................24

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................Aut o
    tWTR..........................................Auto
    tWR............................................Aut o
    tRFC...........................................Aut o
    tRTP...........................................Aut o
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:Auto

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................Auto

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................: Auto
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:Auto

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................:1.42
    *This is what I have now with 9x467, but vdroop drops to 1.38/136 (fluctuates) under load. Tried 1.38 but must set LLC to on or bsod

*All settings below on auto because I have no idea what to set them at.

CPU Termination…..... Auto 1.5 (seen in easytune)

CPU PLL…………………....Auto 1.75 (seen in easytune)

CPU Referen.…………....Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune)

CPU Reference2………,,Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune)

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune)
    MCH Reference….…….Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune)
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune)
    ICH I/O……………….....Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune)
    ICH Core…………...……Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune)
    DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....Auto 2.1 (seen in easytune)
    DRAM Termination .…Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune)
    Channel A Reference Auto
    Channel B Reference Auto

*Settings below suggested to me

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Enabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled]

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Enabled]

Thanks Lsdmeasap for your time and your help. I know you're really busy and help out a lot of people. I really appreciate you looking into my issues and lending a hand. No really, I am really greatful.

Questions: Would it be better for me to buy some ddr 2 1200 and run ram at 1121?? Also, would I be better off buying an E8600 as maybe it overclocks better on this board??

marc001

Hiya Marc, I think your 4.2Ghz. expectations are pushing it a bit. I'd be happy at 4Ghz. but it's your system.

(been waiting for Lsdmeasap to help you but the fellow must really be overwhelmed, and he's the pro, not me but)...

I've had some good success w/ my chip; E7400 (2.8Ghz.) taking it stable to 4Ghz. but the temps were far too high for me to feel good about it so I'm happy with a lessor OC. Funny but half of me wants to push my system far, but the other half is pretty happy with low power, low volts, & low temps. Oftentimes you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in RW performance.

I'll give you a few reco's to try and help but it's on you. Non of them are dangerous...

Use your best settings that kept you (almost) stable for a few hours:

Keep in mind these chips OC great, they've a lot of headroom and seem to be able to take more than their share of abuse BUT Intel's spec. on max voltage is 1.3625... so...

Always keep the CPU Termination (Vtt) below Vcore. If you're using 1.42Vcore, set the Vtt to about 1.3 (less is always better but not past 1.38).
    CPU PLL to 1.57 (no more)
    CPU Ref 64 to 67% of Vtt usually 2/3 of Vtt)
    MCH Core 1.3 to 1.4 (no more and, less is always better - stock is 1.1)
    MCH Ref stay between .68 and .72
    ICH IO 1.55 to 1.6
    ICH Core 1.1 to 1.2

other things...
    It may help to set the CPU Clock Drive to 900 or 1000 mV (stock is 800)
    It may help to set the CPU Clock Skew from 0 to 50
    It may help to set the MCH Clock Skew 50 to 150
    Note: If you change the Clock drive or the skews and have trouble posting, these are the ones to reset first - though it may help to try different variations on the skews before you give up on them and, they both don't have to be used together (so it can get confusing). Remember to keep notes !!!

If you're running XP or Vista you can disable Limit CPUID Max. to 3... on the Advanced Settings page. (this has nothing to do with the OC)

Overclocking is art & science - hit or miss and much trial and error. We, in the absence of complete and exact knowledge make educated guesses. The education part is important - so I always advise folks to read-up.

There's more that I don't know than I do know (and I know a bit :)

If Lsdmeasap advises you to the contrary about anything I've posted here... listen to him :)

Good luck with it!
    Last edited by Rob E.; 03-10-2009 at 09:54 PM.
    E7400 - GA-EP45-UD3R - Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX - OCZ2N1066SR2GK (2x1GB, 5-5-5-15 PL5) - GeForce 9400 GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob E. View Post
    Hiya Marc, I think your 4.2Ghz. expectations are pushing it a bit. I'd be happy at 4Ghz. but it's your system.

(been waiting for Lsdmeasap to help you but the fellow must really be overwhelmed, and he's the pro, not me but)...

I've had some good success w/ my chip; E7400 (2.8Ghz.) taking it stable to 4Ghz. but the temps were far too high for me to feel good about it so I'm happy with a lessor OC. Funny but half of me wants to push my system far, but the other half is pretty happy with low power, low volts, & low temps. Oftentimes you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in RW performance.

I'll give you a few reco's to try and help but it's on you. Non of them are dangerous...

Use your best settings that kept you (almost) stable for a few hours:

Keep in mind these chips OC great, they've a lot of headroom and seem to be able to take more than their share of abuse BUT Intel's spec. on max voltage is 1.3625... so...

Always keep the CPU Termination (Vtt) below Vcore. If you're using 1.42Vcore, set the Vtt to about 1.3 (less is always better but not past 1.38).
    CPU PLL to 1.57 (no more)
    CPU Ref 64 to 67% of Vtt usually 2/3 of Vtt)
    MCH Core 1.3 to 1.4 (no more and, less is always better - stock is 1.1)
    MCH Ref stay between .68 and .72
    ICH IO 1.55 to 1.6
    ICH Core 1.1 to 1.2

other things...
    It may help to set the CPU Clock Drive to 900 or 1000 mV (stock is 800)
    It may help to set the CPU Clock Skew from 0 to 50
    It may help to set the MCH Clock Skew 50 to 150
    Note: If you change the Clock drive or the skews and have trouble posting, these are the ones to reset first - though it may help to try different variations on the skews before you give up on them and, they both don't have to be used together (so it can get confusing). Remember to keep notes !!!

If you're running XP or Vista you can disable Limit CPUID Max. to 3... on the Advanced Settings page. (this has nothing to do with the OC)

Overclocking is art & science - hit or miss and much trial and error. We, in the absence of complete and exact knowledge make educated guesses. The education part is important - so I always advise folks to read-up.

There's more that I don't know than I do know (and I know a bit :)

If Lsdmeasap advises you to the contrary about anything I've posted here... listen to him :)

Good luck with it!
    Hey thanks a lot Rob. I'll try your settings a litlle later as I'm kinda busy doing other things. This weekend I'll have time to test though. If Lsdmeasap gives me settings, I'll try those as well. You say he's the guru, and I've seen him help a lot of folks, but don't sell yourself short. It may be your settings that get me where I want to go, or a combination of his and yours. We're all in this together is how I see it. Peace to all.

marc

I replied to your thread here, with some info about HWMonitor >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/rob-...74/#post288172

Sorry for the late reply here, seems this thread got pushed to the front, my back on replies.

No a 8600 would be a waste of cash really. Same as 8400 only higher Multi unlocked, but if you have $$ coming out of your ears you might want one so you could run 10x425 or something, but you would have the same stability issues as 9x460 because it is the CPU limit due to voltages that is dropping off here not the FSB itself
    4.2 may be asking to much out of your CPU within respectable voltage ranges. For example 4GHZ (Any FSB) may need 1.34-1.38 VCore, but going to 4.1 may require 1.4-1.42 and up to 4.2 may require 1.44+ to be stable. That is just a example to explain to you how small increase in CPU Speeds may require Huge jumps in voltage after a certain speed. Booting a certain high speed at x.xx vcore does not mean stable vcore would be anywhere close to that range always.

Just so you know, easytune ONLY shows you what you set in the BIOS, so if you want to check actual applied voltages you will need to look with other aps

You may be able to run 467x2.40B for 1120 on your memory, you may just need more or less MCH Voltage and more ram volts. You would just have to tinker, I know I can run 800Mhz ram above that, but some memory just will not play very well on the B strap at 400+ FSB

Try this and see how you get along >>>

Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Auto << WOW huge issue, set now to 100!! You may be damaging your disk drives and or GFX Cards. Surprised your OS has survived

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: Standard
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: Auto
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00D or B

Standard Timing Control
    tRCD .........................................5
    tRP'...........................................5
    tRAS..........................................18

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................3-4
    tWTR..........................................3-6
    tWR............................................4-8
    tRFC...........................................52-64
    tRTP...........................................3-5
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength ............................1066

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................: 9-12

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:9-12

CPU
    *This is what I have now with 9x467, but vdroop drops to 1.38/136 (fluctuates) under load. Tried 1.38 but must set LLC to on or bsod << Maybe you need more, if temps are ok then go for it just to see if this is the issue

*All settings below on auto because I have no idea what to set them at. << OUCH!!! You are killing your CPU, thats the problem!! Termination and PLL will be WAY Overvolted, as you note below

CPU Termination…..... Auto 1.5 (seen in easytune) << Please find a setting, keep under vcore. Maybe 1.28-1.34 << More then that is not needed until after 533+ FSB. And 1.34 should not be needed either. I used 1.28-1.32 up to 546 FSB on P45

CPU PLL…………………....Auto 1.75 (seen in easytune) << Please set to 1.5-1.58

CPU Referen.…………....Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << Auto

CPU Reference2………,,Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << Auto

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << All depends on many things, try 1.2-1.3 (1.2-1.24 likely good, but if nothing works try 1.05)

MCH Reference….…….Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << Auto
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << Auto
    ICH I/O……………….....Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << Set 1.5-1.55
    ICH Core…………...……Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << Set 1.14-1.18

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....Auto 2.1 (seen in easytune) << Set 2.1 (you may try 2.2 with 1120 ram speed as mentioned above but that is up to you and your warranty)

DRAM Termination .…Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << Auto
    Channel A Reference Auto << Auto
    Channel B Reference Auto << Auto

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Enabled] << Disabled, what OS you running??????
    Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled] << Do you use Vmware/Virtual PC? If not disable

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Enabled] << Disable for now

Oh wow, thanks Lsdmeasap, I've been busy as well and haven't been playing with the OC much, but give your settings a spin.

You asked about this:
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Enabled] << Disabled, what OS

I'm running XP Pro 32 bit. Question: How much importance do the settings below have in the OC, in other words, can they just be left on auto or do you not reccomend that?
    Advanced Timing Control

In a sticky it says LLC is bad. Is it like really bad and should not be used at all? I ask because I believe I could get away with lower voltages if only could enable it, but don't want to fry anything.

OK, so I'll get to work and test.

Thanks so much for your help.

marc

I replied to your thread here, with some info about HWMonitor >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/rob-...74/#post288172

Sorry for the late reply here, seems this thread got pushed to the front, my back on replies.

No a 8600 would be a waste of cash really. Same as 8400 only higher Multi unlocked, but if you have $$ coming out of your ears you might want one so you could run 10x425 or something, but you would have the same stability issues as 9x460 because it is the CPU limit due to voltages that is dropping off here not the FSB itself
    4.2 may be asking to much out of your CPU within respectable voltage ranges. For example 4GHZ (Any FSB) may need 1.34-1.38 VCore, but going to 4.1 may require 1.4-1.42 and up to 4.2 may require 1.44+ to be stable. That is just a example to explain to you how small increase in CPU Speeds may require Huge jumps in voltage after a certain speed. Booting a certain high speed at x.xx vcore does not mean stable vcore would be anywhere close to that range always.

Just so you know, easytune ONLY shows you what you set in the BIOS, so if you want to check actual applied voltages you will need to look with other aps

You may be able to run 467x2.40B for 1120 on your memory, you may just need more or less MCH Voltage and more ram volts. You would just have to tinker, I know I can run 800Mhz ram above that, but some memory just will not play very well on the B strap at 400+ FSB

Try this and see how you get along >>>

Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Auto << WOW huge issue, set now to 100!! You may be damaging your disk drives and or GFX Cards. Surprised your OS has survived

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: Standard
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: Auto
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00D or B

Standard Timing Control
    tRCD .........................................5
    tRP'...........................................5
    tRAS..........................................18

Advanced Timing Control

Driving Strength ............................1066

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................: 9-12

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:9-12

CPU
    *This is what I have now with 9x467, but vdroop drops to 1.38/136 (fluctuates) under load. Tried 1.38 but must set LLC to on or bsod << Maybe you need more, if temps are ok then go for it just to see if this is the issue

*All settings below on auto because I have no idea what to set them at. << OUCH!!! You are killing your CPU, thats the problem!! Termination and PLL will be WAY Overvolted, as you note below

CPU Termination…..... Auto 1.5 (seen in easytune) << Please find a setting, keep under vcore. Maybe 1.28-1.34 << More then that is not needed until after 533+ FSB. And 1.34 should not be needed either. I used 1.28-1.32 up to 546 FSB on P45

CPU PLL…………………....Auto 1.75 (seen in easytune) << Please set to 1.5-1.58

CPU Referen.…………....Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << Auto

CPU Reference2………,,Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << Auto

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << All depends on many things, try 1.2-1.3 (1.2-1.24 likely good, but if nothing works try 1.05)

MCH Reference….…….Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << Auto
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << Auto
    ICH I/O……………….....Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << Set 1.5-1.55
    ICH Core…………...……Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << Set 1.14-1.18

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....Auto 2.1 (seen in easytune) << Set 2.1 (you may try 2.2 with 1120 ram speed as mentioned above but that is up to you and your warranty)

DRAM Termination .…Auto (Sorry forgot to note in easytune) << Auto
    Channel A Reference Auto << Auto
    Channel B Reference Auto << Auto

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Enabled] << Disabled, what OS you running??????
    Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled] << Do you use Vmware/Virtual PC? If not disable

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Enabled] << Disable for now
    Thanks for the settings and your time.

Sadly, they did not work. Well let me say that another way. Possibly they could have worked but here is the problem as I see it, but could be wrong:

Whenever I change the cpu term or mch volts, no boot.

Bios won't even come up and it restarts itself like 2 times and then resets itself to safe timings in order to boot. Worst case, it will be stuck where all fans are running but no video and I have to physically reset cmos jumper.

It's like there is something that is locked and whenever I attempt a change to to the cpu term or mch volts, it won't boot. I was almost thinking there is a jumper or some other switch that will allow those volts to be changed. If I leave them on auto, it will boot and I can actually game, but not for long. It will lock up and reboot itself.

But I had experienced this before when Nickel was helping with settings. I though possibly his settings were a little off which was causing the no-boot issue. But I am almost convinved now, that if I change any voltage except vcore, no boot.

What's going on here?

marc001

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information