Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will anyone please help me with EP45-UD3P?

Default Will anyone please help me with EP45-UD3P?

Hello all,

I have been trying in vain to OC my UD3P board. I have looked everywhere for help and have posted in many forums as well as read many forum pages. Lsdmeasap has posted some templates for others looking for help, but I understand he is off doing reviews. But this is what I need a full template of all settings to get my E8500 up to 4.2Ghz. I have tried for weeks and can't make any headway.

Please keep in mind, this same cpu was in a 680i board running 4.2 Ghz night and day totally stable, so the cpu is NOT the problem.

The ONLY OC I can get is by using ET and clicking Quick Boost button 3 which is 4.05 Ghz with ram at 1080. This OC will pass hours of prime85 stable. However, if I attempt to change ANYTHING in bios to try and get this higher, it will not boot. But I usually don't use ET and do all adjusting in the bios as I have OC'ed many systems. But this board will not do anything I want. I would like to get either 467x9 with ram at 1:1=934 or 442x9.5, again with ram at 1:1=844

I would post my settings, but I have tried so many, I don't know what the latest ones were, and they didn't work anyway.

Please, please, please give me some kind of hope and help because I'm thinking of throwing this motherboard away.

E8500
    GA-EP45-UD3P
    Corsair Dominator 8500
    Corsair TX650 650 Watt
    4870 X2

marc001

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Will anyone please help me with EP45-UD3P?

There must be lots of templates with 84/85 86 cpus on the forum.
    People will want to know your settings that work tho.
    The 4.02 and 1080 memspeed must be with some multiplier other than 2:00* (1:1) on the memory ,which one is it?and which letter is it B or D or?or is the cpu running on a lwr multiplier.
    I cant get my memory above ,well lets say 1015 is the max usefull speed I can get :( but thats the memory .
    If my items were closer to yours ,some of my info might help.
    If you cant find a template or suggested settings here check out some other forums like xtreme systems.

This guy seems to just dial in whatever feels good for his benching (yeh his cpu is water cooled and its 1g sticks.
    Pretty amazing figures tho.
    Gigabyte P45 UD3 review - AwardFabrik - Forum
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by marc001 View Post
    Hello all,

I have been trying in vain to OC my UD3P board. I have looked everywhere for help and have posted in many forums as well as read many forum pages. Lsdmeasap has posted some templates for others looking for help, but I understand he is off doing reviews. But this is what I need a full template of all settings to get my E8500 up to 4.2Ghz. I have tried for weeks and can't make any headway.

Please keep in mind, this same cpu was in a 680i board running 4.2 Ghz night and day totally stable, so the cpu is NOT the problem.

The ONLY OC I can get is by using ET and clicking Quick Boost button 3 which is 4.05 Ghz with ram at 1080. This OC will pass hours of prime85 stable. However, if I attempt to change ANYTHING in bios to try and get this higher, it will not boot. But I usually don't use ET and do all adjusting in the bios as I have OC'ed many systems. But this board will not do anything I want. I would like to get either 467x9 with ram at 1:1=934 or 442x9.5, again with ram at 1:1=844

I would post my settings, but I have tried so many, I don't know what the latest ones were, and they didn't work anyway.

Please, please, please give me some kind of hope and help because I'm thinking of throwing this motherboard away.

E8500
    GA-EP45-UD3P
    Corsair Dominator 8500
    Corsair TX650 650 Watt
    4870 X2

marc001

Marc,
    its pretty much has to do with the north bridge settings from what i understand.There must be thousand of templates with your chip.
    Thanks
    The Muncher

Main Rig
    CPU)Q9550@
    MOBO)EP45-UD3P rev.1.0
    RAM) 4g G-Skill 1066
    PSU)Corsair TX-750
    HDD) 2 Seagate 250 Raid-0
    VIDEO)EVGA 275 GTX super clock
    SOUND) Xonar DX 7.1
    MONITOR) Hanns-G 28'WS
    OS) Win 7 64 bit

Life is like a sheet sandwitch,the more bread you have the less sheet you'll have to eat

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    There must be lots of templates with 84/85 86 cpus on the forum.
    People will want to know your settings that work tho.
    The 4.02 and 1080 memspeed must be with some multiplier other than 2:00* (1:1) on the memory ,which one is it?and which letter is it B or D or?or is the cpu running on a lwr multiplier.
    I cant get my memory above ,well lets say 1015 is the max usefull speed I can get :( but thats the memory .
    If my items were closer to yours ,some of my info might help.
    If you cant find a template or suggested settings here check out some other forums like xtreme systems.

This guy seems to just dial in whatever feels good for his benching (yeh his cpu is water cooled and its 1g sticks.
    Pretty amazing figures tho.
    Gigabyte P45 UD3 review - AwardFabrik - Forum
    Thanks so much for the reply. Ok, the settings that work from ET built in OC are 9x450 which gives me 4.05Ghz with ram at 1080 and 2.40B* setting. But again, that's the ET built in OC. When I go into bios after setting this OC with ET, all I can see is that the multiplier has been set to 9, fsb set to 450 and the ram timing set to 2.40B and ram speed at 1080. Everything else reads auto, but of course it's not. I use HWmonitor and can see the cpu voltage is 1.36. In ET you can see all the sttting and maybe I will screenshot that and post it if I can figure out how to just get the ET shot and not my whole desktop, we'll see. This built in ET OC will run prime stable and stable in games. But again, if I change anything after setting this OC, like raising the fsb and lowering ram to 2.00B or 2.00D it will not boot or will be very unstable. By the way my ram is 2x1GB sticks Dominator 1066, so if I raise fsb past 450 with 9 multi, I need to set ram at 2.00B or D or ram speed will be too high. I can get it to boot 50% of the time with a 9.5x442 and 2.00D ram speed 884, vcore at 1.41 but when it does boot, it won't even run prime for more than 2 mins and often locks up and forced to reset. Thanks for any help or suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Muncher View Post
    Marc,
    its pretty much has to do with the north bridge settings from what i understand.There must be thousand of templates with your chip.
    Yes I have seen a few templates and tried some setiings they have, but none really had what I want. Most are going for 4Ghz and not much higher or are going for high fsb like 500 and above. I saw one in this forum in fact but it was E8600 and I tried his settings with no luck. I don't know what it is with this board. I have a P5Q rig with another E8500 and all I did was raise fsb, unlock ram, raise vcore and bam, 4.2Ghz prime stable. The whole OC took me an hour of trying different vcore settings, and that was it. Once I dialed that in, I've been running 4.2ghz stable and gaming 24/7.

What I really need is a template with some ranges of settings that should work and then I can tweak the numbers until it's stable. For instance, MCH between xxx to xxx values. But not just MCH, but all settings. Something that will get me in the ballpark where it will boot and not lock up, then I can tweak it. Because as it is now, I will put in values that seem right and make sense, and it either won't boot or is totally unstable. If anyone finds such a template or has these settings, please point me to them.

Thanks so much for the reply. I desparate guys and am pulling my hair out. This can't be this hard!!

marc001

Have you tried (in the bios), raising the CPU Clock Drive, and also the PCI Express Clock Drive to 1000 mV? These amplitude increases should help with higher FSB speeds.

I see a lot of folks consistently setting Performance Enhance at Standard. So it goes against the grain for many but I always find it helps to use Turbo or Extreme.

I wouldn't OC the RAM by much. 1:1 isn't that important. If it's DDR2 1066, I'd strap it not much above or at, or below that speed and let the ratio be what it is. Until you can get a stable CPU OC, it might even help to loosen the memory timings. Set 'em at Auto initially, (note what the system sets them to) and tighten them up later.

You probably have to raise the CPU Termination (VTT) and MCH Core but be careful with these. Watch the ratio's on the corresponding Reference voltages.

GTL settings are important and you may need to change them a bit, but it's a crapshoot getting them right. If you're successful with changing them, consider yourself lucky. There's really NO way to know what they should be (unless you have a scope and know what to measure), 99% of everyone changing them - without the knowledge and use of test instruments doesn't know what they're doing, no matter what they say.

(You wrote)... "Please keep in mind, this same cpu was in a 680i board running 4.2 Ghz night and day totally stable, so the cpu is NOT the problem." You don't know this. any CPU's performance (over time) can and does change. Especially so when we push them, and interactions with different MB's certainly do change the equation and it doesn't mean the "difficult" board is worse - you just haven't found its sweet spots yet.

BTW, these are just casual suggestions. I'm far from and expert. Just a semi-knowledgable enthusiast throwing out some ideas. Ceratinly Nickel or Lsdmeasap or some other folks could help you more than I.

Good Luck!
    E7400 - GA-EP45-UD3R - Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX - OCZ2N1066SR2GK (2x1GB, 5-5-5-15 PL5) - GeForce 9400 GT.

@ Rob E.

Thanks for the reply. I will try your settings with the clock drive and see. And yes I was always setting standard instead of Turbo in performance enhance and disabled on ...what is it xmp profile...? What do you suggest for that? When you say VTT and MCH to be careful, what numbers if any might I put there because fankly, I have no idea. I've only tried what others have put in their templates but have no idea what these number should be and what is to high/low. And you talk about the reference voltages, again I have no idea what's they should be at. Same with GTL, you say I may need to change it a bit, but to what. and without knowing and since nobody knows what they're doing with those you say, wouldn't it be best left to auto, or what numbers might I try?

Maybe I'm not really an overclocker, and have no idea what I'm doing. As I said, in the past all I've really done is tweak a couple of settings, leave everything else on auto and been able to get what I want. But all these settings on this board seem to need a setting to be manually entered. And see, I don't know what to enter. Oh I've seen what others use and tried those, but like I said, nothing has worked. It's like this board will run that ET OC and nothing else. Oh by the way, that reminds me, I forgot to mention that if I try the other built in ET OCs like the middle one of 3.8....or something...button 2 on quick boost, as well as button 1, it won't boot and in fact instantly loks up forcing restart. So again, 4.05...or nothing... it seems anyway.

Thanks again,

marc001

The OC you're pushing for shouldn't be all that difficult with that chip. Bios's can sometimes get a little flakey. I'd start from the beginning. Power down & clear the CMOS (shorting the pins for about a minute), BUT - sometimes that's not enough so... I'd also pull the battery for about a minute as well). Reboot, go into the bios and set for Optimal defaults and reboot again and go back to the bios and make any changes you need to make for your own personal configuration needs. On the Advanced features page, turn off EIST and C1E. On the MIT page, keep all the voltage settings on auto and just raise the FSB (keep the multi @ 9.5) and see how far you can go. Use utilities like ET6, and Everest, to see the VCore and RAM timings that auto set. Don't OC the RAM. MemSet's pretty good to view and "play" with timings. You can (probably) safely use 5-7-7-Auto to start.

Auto will set the Vcore too high, but once you know what the system can do at these settings, you can now fine tune them. You'll have to go back to the Bios and set voltages manually. At a low to moderate Vcore I'd keep LLC enabled. At higher Vcore voltages I'd disable it. Personally, with LLC disabled or enabled, I won't push my own system voltages past the Intel reco - even though the chip seems to handle it. At some point past 4Ghz. you may have to fine-tune with VTT and MCH, Ref, and other voltages, but that's up to you (how high your own OC own needs to be) and your own comfort level. Once you know what the CPU can do, you can tighten-up the RAM timings. Be sure to manually set the Vcore to a number that you're comfortable with, and bear in mind that the chip may not like it much past 1.38 (set in bios). Other folks have gotten some great OC numbers with some crazy voltages - but that's up to you.

Bear in mind (again), I'm no expert... I'm just throwing out to you cautious advice. Personally I don't push my own system too far. With my own E7400, I've been up to 4Ghz, but I'm not comfortable with the juice I have to give the chip... so I'm content with a smaller OC, tight RAM timings 5-5-5-15, PL5, and low Vcore still using EIST and C1E. My systems Vcore is still pretty low up to 3.6Ghz, and I'm happy enough with only an 800Mhz overclock w/RAM @ PL6.

To each their own. :) Good luck and pls post back how you make-out.

(edited) PS - forgot to mention...

...in regard to OC'ing and by your own admission... maybe you don't know what you're doing; I have to tell you, I'm old school so maybe my advice isn't exactly what you need to hear.

This generation of technology is pretty remarkable. Without very much "work" or knowledge, anyone can get a reasonable OC by just raising the FSB. A modest bump in Vcore is usually enough to get to the next level. Beyond that, things can get dicey when other more complex settings (not talking RAM here) come into play. It's not really a good idea to use other peoples settings without some sort of understanding of what you're doing to and with the system. If you need to get a big OC, you really should read-up about what it is you're doing, there are plenty of articles online and referenced in the forums. You don't have to be an EE, but you should get a basic understanding of the process. It's both art and science. The majority of folks here don't completely understand the science (that includes me), but the ones who know what they're doing... understand the "art" of it. If you really need or want to push your system far, you also, have to understand the art of it and get a feeling for what you're doing. And, in regard to ET6; it's a nice utility to view settings and "play" with possibilities but, All your OC'ing should be done only in the BIOS and not in Windows.
    Last edited by Rob E.; 03-07-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: update
    E7400 - GA-EP45-UD3R - Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX - OCZ2N1066SR2GK (2x1GB, 5-5-5-15 PL5) - GeForce 9400 GT.

Well I'm getting a little closer. Right now running 9x467 with ram at 2.40b 1121. It will run prime stable, but will crash when running far cry 2, but seems to run fear 2 ok. But I don't really care about far cry 2. So I put the cpu clocks at 1000, 1000, 50, 0. I can run 1.38 vcore with llc on, but if i turn off llc it won't run prime95 at all. So ight now i'm testing prime with vcore at 1.42 which droops to 1.36 and fluctuates between 1.36 and 1.38. So it will probably crash.

But here is the major problem, this board will NOT let me down clock my ram. Or I.m not doing it right. Any attemtps to run the ram at 2.00b or d results in either no boot or boot then bsod.

marc001

Quote Originally Posted by marc001 View Post
    But here is the major problem, this board will NOT let me down clock my ram. Or I.m not doing it right. Any attemtps to run the ram at 2.00b or d results in either no boot or boot then bsod.
    marc,

You might be better running with 9.5 X 443 (4208), and you can strap (2.40B) or in general, any frequency latch you need, with whichever multi will bring you nearest your RAM's rated speed. 1121Mhz is probably too much. Get closer to, or below 1066. Also, you can take another step or two with the clock skew (but these settings can be hit or miss - helping or making it worse), so it's best to use them as a last resort when you've exhausted other possibilities.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob E.; 03-08-2009 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob E. View Post
    marc,

You can use any frequency latch you need, with whichever multi will bring you nearest your RAM's rated speed. 1121Mhz is too much. Get closer to, or below 1066. Also, you can take another step or two with the clock skew (these settings can be hit or miss - helping or making it worse), so it's best to use them as a last resort when you've exhausted other possibilities.

Rob
    Maybe I wasn't clear or misspoke, but as I said, I cannot run my ram any lower. The lowest settings in bios are 2.00b or d which puts it at 1:1 and it will either not boot or will boot and then bsod.

marc001

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information