Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP45C-DS3R NB overheat

Question EP45C-DS3R NB overheat

Hey there

I just bought EP45C-DS3R and the box's seal was broken!
    But the distributor and the company person told its the only piece available in north india, and they gave me bill and all that and warranty assurance too

I built the system with Q8200, 2x2GB Kingston 1.8V 800MHz Ram, Corsair Vx450, Palit HD4850

my CPU starts at 49C reaches till 75C in 30-60seconds with prime 100% load

Then I reseated the CPU its now 45C and reaches somewhere 65C with 5 min of prime

and after 1 Hr of Crysis it 57C

is it normal on stock cooling

Problem No.2

My Northbridge

Its 41C even in open case and when I touch the heatsink It its actually too hot to touch for more than 20-30 seconds

Also the heatsink of north bridge is loose I guess

when I push from one side it lowers a bit

I checked the pin's which holds it they are visible on back of MB about 2-3 mm

Please do help
    its a new board I dont want to damage it and reduce its life thanks
    Last edited by prateekchanda; 03-07-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Exclamation Re: EP45C-DS3R NB overheat

To further clarify i'm attaching these pics

I've marked the points where when I press the heatsink gets inclined as in a sea-saw

Also in picture below the white locks also gets depressed as if i'm pressing a door bell

Default Re: EP45C-DS3R NB overheat

The Northbridge will get hot and is held on with just two spring type mounts - so it will "see-saw" if you apply enough pressure. The "Core" it sits on is fairly small in surface area, so you have this large heatsink almost "balancing" on the top, hence the spring pressure mounts.

My North Bridge Heatsink which is similiar (if not the same to yours) does get very hot. I have a Zalman unit that monitors my NB heatsink in way of a probe and thermal tape and on average my NB is at 50C, which is around 15C above internal case temperature.

Also the stock Intel HSF cooler does a very good job in cooling the NB due to it's fan proximity to the Northbridge heatsink itself.

What is your Room temperature? as everything will be based on that.

Edit:-
    Your CPU temperatures seem about right now you have reseated the HSF.
    Again it's all dependent on your ambient temperature.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 03-07-2009 at 10:45 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

^^ Agreed ^^

And do be careful with that NB heatsink, that is a BARE Piece of silicon under there!!!

Thanks guys for ur invaluable help

I live in delhi its do get very hot here in summer
    as of now my room temps are around 25-30C

Can u people share with me what all can be done to improve the temps and
    make my PC's life long

Few I know are

1. Good Case Ventilation <- for this I'm thinking of adding a 120 mm front fan but since the case have screw marking for 90mm I'll paste 120 one , my case also have one 90mm back fan and a Chimney on side cover on top of CPU cooler shall I replace it with a 90mm fan aswell?

2. Good thermal compound <- trying to find Tuniq Tx2 here, will use it on CPU but will my NB benefit from it? Any warranty issues

3. Just a thought
    will reducing my RAM's speed from 800 to 667 n reducing latency from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12 will increase speed , will be in sync with my 1333 FSB, will it affect temps?
    Last edited by prateekchanda; 03-09-2009 at 01:38 PM.

Ya, I would redo the paste on the NB if you feel up to it. I always do mine, just be careful of course. If you do redo the paste on it, be sure to use NON Conductive paste like TX-2 or MX-2

I would put a 120MM up front, and in back. Cut a larger whole with a dremel if you need to.

Do you ebay? Maybe you could get those sent to you from Ebay?

Na, your ram temps would only be affected by voltages. And I dont recommend you underclock your ram to get better timings, it would not be worth all that

thanks Lsdmeasap

I'll put that 120mm fan this weekend

btw I'm using the blue PCIe slot for my 4850 and the NB is just next to it and get hot is it ok or should I move it to orange slot?

and while I shop around for 120mm fan i think I'll buy one for my NB too what size fit's on it? and how do we go about it

I think you will be fine with your card there, it's got a good cooler on it anyway right?

Hmm, normally a 40MM fan is what most use on the NB but you could maybe fit a 50MM on that one since it is a little larger. You will have to rig it up yourself, like with some wire or a bent paper clip, or super glue

Or you could get one of these, they're cheap, work very well, and they look nice too! That is if you can find one in any of your stores? >>>
    Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II CL-C0034

Thanks Lsdmeasap
    You've been a great help!

Anytime man, glad I could offer you some advise on things.

Post back and let us know how you get along with setting up your fans and such once you get them all done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information