Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-UD3R BIOS F7 impressions

Thumbs down EP45-UD3R BIOS F7 impressions

BIOS F7 for this board recently came out of beta. The Gigabyte website simply says "Enhanced compatibilities of Dynamic Energy Saver Advanced"

What does this mean in real life? Well the new F7 BIOS seems to increase Vdroop quite significantly and sends you off into instability land again. This can be overcome by bumping Vcore up 2 notches, but I don't think any of us would want that would we?

Vdroop is the voltage difference between the core at idle and the core under full load. On my rig, Vdroop with F6 BIOS was 1.248-1.232 = 0.016. Now with F7 BIOS it is 1.248-1.216 = 0.320. Double in this case!

Obviously, for those that use DES Advanced, I'm sure this extra Vdroop is necessary to use all power phases and maximize energy savings when throttled. Personally, I haven't seen any savings with DES. To boot, my motherboard gives off a high-pitched whine when DES is activated. When I used my Kill-A-Watt energy consumption meter, I could see no difference in energy use with DES enabled.

For me, it makes sense to run stable at lower voltages (which in itself is probably a power savings) rather than to have DES run. For kicks and giggles I tried DES with F7... the high-pitched whine from the motherboard was still there. For me it makes no sense to go with BIOS F7. As many have stated on this forum... if you're not having problems, a BIOS update will likely not bring you any new features, and can possibly bring you headaches!

Now, am I okay flashing back to F6? Same procedure as an upgrade?
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (F7 BIOS)
    Intel Pentium E8400 E0
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    G.Skill DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0V~2.1V
    EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
    (3x) Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA II Drives
    CORSAIR 650TX 650W PSU
    Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case
    XP Professional 32-bit SP3

Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages
    Stable E8400 OC - 3.83

Default Re: EP45-UD3R BIOS F7 impressions

Does anybody use DES with overclocking to any good use even?
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (F7 BIOS)
    Intel Pentium E8400 E0
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    G.Skill DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0V~2.1V
    EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
    (3x) Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA II Drives
    CORSAIR 650TX 650W PSU
    Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case
    XP Professional 32-bit SP3

Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages
    Stable E8400 OC - 3.83

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP45-UD3R BIOS F7 impressions

Yeap, flash is the same either way you go. And you can flash to any version you like, as long as your CPU is supported

< Begin Rant >
    I have seen some Savings using it, not personally though as I have only ever used it for testing things. I do know it does save alot more when you put on a full load vs not using it, but ya stability is a crap-shoot with that especially if you are overclocking at all since C1E and EIST need to be enabled. < p >

I think it is a good idea, for the world and all, but not for overclocking boards. It should ONLY be marketed towards the cheaper and smaller boards that would actually use it. People who buy (98%) the mainstream boards disable all the energy saving things to overclock anyway so it is a big waste of engineers time I think to make it and try to keep it working on boards that rarely see it used.
    < /End Rant >
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-08-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Thread Information