Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MA770-UD3 Won't boot from CDROM

Default Re: MA770-UD3 Won't boot from CDROM

I don't think I'll be using AHCI with 32 bit Win XP. I'm curious though if I ever upgrade to Vista would I set the bios to AHCI and then upgrade or install Vista and then turn on AHCI?

ATI Catalystâ„¢ Display Driver

Thats a link to the chipset drivers for the AMD motherboards. Its for Windows XP 32-bit. at the bottom you will see south bridge driver and raid driver. thats all you need to install to get AHCI mode to work in windows.

You may not need the raid but you should get the south bridge driver.

Now if you install windows in IDE mode a lot of times when you switch the bios back to AHCI mode windows won't boot cause its trying to load the IDE drivers and doesn't have the AHCI mode drivers.

But with vista i installed with IDE once by accident but installed the latest AHCI drivers and then rebooted and set the bios to AHCI mode and i didn't get a blue screen. It booted fine with slightly better performance.

Don't worry tho if you do get a blue screen you can just change the bios back to IDE mode to get it to boot again. But ya thats pretty much how it all works.. I know for first time AMD users this can be fustrating if you don't know to check these things in the bios.

Some motherboards the CDROM boots fine with AHCI some need the cdrom on IDE kinda lame don't know why it is like that. just is. =P

Also if its possible it is better to install the OS when its set at AHCI mode cause then it either detects your sata controller or just asks for the driver which you can point to with a usb stick in vista. if you have too. =P
    AMD Phenom II 710 OC@3.450ghz
    Wintec Ampx 1333 DDR3 4GB
    GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    ATI/AMD 4870x2 videocard
    Coolit Freezone elite TEC chilling waterloop
    1 DVD burner
    1 36gb WD rapter hard drive
    2x 640GB WD in RAID 0
    Cooler Master 700W SilentPro PSU
    Watercooling video card and cpu only.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

It just APPEARS to be IDE/PATA using Slave/Master. This is only due to translations and how they decided to word things.

Do not worry the drives are in SATA Mode and there is NO Slave or Master in SATA. Where you connect (Which SATA Port) the DATA Cable is what will decide how they appear in the BIOS though, it should have nothing to do with power cables

About your Vista/AHCI Question.

Never do a "Upgrade" install if that is what you meant. Always do a clean install.

If you wanted to install Vista should you decide to get it, you would want to set AHCI in the BIOS before the install. It is not a must, but that is how you should do it if you want to use it.

Waste of time really, unless you need to hotswap

Exclamation Re: MA770-UD3 Won't boot from CDROM

Quote Originally Posted by dred210 View Post
    ATI Catalystâ„¢ Display Driver

Thats a link to the chipset drivers for the AMD motherboards. Its for Windows XP 32-bit. at the bottom you will see south bridge driver and raid driver. thats all you need to install to get AHCI mode to work in windows.

You may not need the raid but you should get the south bridge driver.

Now if you install windows in IDE mode a lot of times when you switch the bios back to AHCI mode windows won't boot cause its trying to load the IDE drivers and doesn't have the AHCI mode drivers.

But with vista i installed with IDE once by accident but installed the latest AHCI drivers and then rebooted and set the bios to AHCI mode and i didn't get a blue screen. It booted fine with slightly better performance.

Don't worry tho if you do get a blue screen you can just change the bios back to IDE mode to get it to boot again. But ya thats pretty much how it all works.. I know for first time AMD users this can be fustrating if you don't know to check these things in the bios.

Some motherboards the CDROM boots fine with AHCI some need the cdrom on IDE kinda lame don't know why it is like that. just is. =P

Also if its possible it is better to install the OS when its set at AHCI mode cause then it either detects your sata controller or just asks for the driver which you can point to with a usb stick in vista. if you have too. =P
    Dred210,

I also have a MA770-UD3 Bios rev. F4 mobo with Athlon X2 4850e. I am doing a clean Windows XP install to a WD Caviar plugged into SATA110. I am not going to use RAID, I only want to get the perfromance from AHCI. I am clear on the BIOS settings, but am confused regarding the SB Driver.

My whole problem which lead this inquiry was: I put the drivers from the MB disk onto floppy, booted from Windows XP setup disk (CD), installed drivers from floppy at F6, and successfully installed Windows XP. I then checked Windows Device Manager and it listed my hard drive as SCSI. Isn't SCSI for RAID? I don't want to RAID, only want it to recognize as SATA. I am willing to reformat HD and have questions:

1. Should I not use the provided GIGABYTE mobo driver and use the SB driver you linked to?
    2. If I only need the SB driver, do I install from floppy at F6, or install after operating system has been installed?

Thanks! Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rickb77904 View Post
    Dred210,

I also have a MA770-UD3 Bios rev. F4 mobo with Athlon X2 4850e. I am doing a clean Windows XP install to a WD Caviar plugged into SATA110. I am not going to use RAID, I only want to get the perfromance from AHCI. I am clear on the BIOS settings, but am confused regarding the SB Driver.

My whole problem which lead this inquiry was: I put the drivers from the MB disk onto floppy, booted from Windows XP setup disk (CD), installed drivers from floppy at F6, and successfully installed Windows XP. I then checked Windows Device Manager and it listed my hard drive as SCSI. Isn't SCSI for RAID? I don't want to RAID, only want it to recognize as SATA. I am willing to reformat HD and have questions:

1. Should I not use the provided GIGABYTE mobo driver and use the SB driver you linked to?
    2. If I only need the SB driver, do I install from floppy at F6, or install after operating system has been installed?

Thanks! Rick
    I should not have posted in this thread. Sorry. Will post to a new thread.

You can post here, that is fine. You may want to PM that member as he may not see your post here is why he did not reply to you is all.

It will appear as IDE or SCSI if you are not using RAID, that is just how gigabyte labels things do not worry. But then again I only know Intel systems, but I would assume AMD By Gigabyte is the same. AHCI will not show up as SATA in device manger, if that is all you are worried about. As long as you are not seeing IDE Controller in Device manger then you are in AHCI mode, unless you also have IDE Devices

Let me know if he does not get back to you and you need my help with things

Thanks LSDMEASAP!

I got it straight now. Just worried that I was configuring the wrong setting.

Rick

Glad I could help!

If you have anymore questions or issues feel free to post about it and we will try to assist you

Quote Originally Posted by dred210 View Post
    I have not read every single word in this thread but seeing as your dealing with a amd chipset motherboard. Its actually very simple to get the cdrom to boot. I ran into the same issues with several amd motherboards i built recently and had to help a few friends asking the same question.

For some odd reason depending on the amd southbridge controller that comes with your amd motherboard you have to run in IDE native mode to get it to boot off the cdrom drive.

Depending on the board these would be your options. go to your motherboard bios then integrated peripherals and where it says sata controller you should be able to switch to several modes.

IDE Native (this will definently let you boot from your cdrom drive)
    AHCI (this is recommended as your hard drive will get best performance but cdrom drive may not boot)
    RAID (you only use this mode if you plan to RAID two or more hard drives together.)

Now if you have one of the newer/better amd motherboards either you can put it in AHCI mode and it will still boot from CDROM anyway or there is an option that says SATA port 4/5 will be IDE.

What this means is that you can tell the controller to run in AHCI mode (best performance) but only ports 0-3 will run in AHCI mode while ports 4 and 5 would run IDE mode for stuff like cdroms.

That should solve your issue. at least it did for me when i encountered similar issues.
    Just wanted to say thank you so much... i had my usb keyboard disabled on my new UD3P gigabyte board... enabled it and my OS is loading now...
    such a simple thing i overlooked... thanks again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information