Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MA770-UD3 Won't boot from CDROM

Default MA770-UD3 Won't boot from CDROM

Iíve been trying everything to get my new MB to boot Windows XP SP2 from one of My CD/CCRW drive (Liteon SOHR-5238s). I also have a DVD/R-RW/CD-RW combo drive that will also not boot. I would like to do a clean install of XP.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Iíve set the BIOS to boot from the CDROM first, then HDD, then floppy. I get the message to press any key, which I press, and then BIOS just re-posts. If I ignore the press any key message, Then the OS boots from my hard drive Ė Seagate SATA II. I want to clean install windows on this drive where the OS is now. Itís booting fine from the HD, but then itís loading all of the old drivers from my previous MB. Iíve had to get work done so I loaded the drivers from the new gigabyte MB into my current Windows system on the HD.
    <o:p></o:p>
    Iíve tried disconnecting both of my SATA disk drives, Iíve tried different cables from the CDROMs and drives. One of the drives, which is where I would like to boot from is an IDE drive. The other CDROM is a SATA.
    I even tried booting with Windows XP startup floppy disks (six of them). I get clear through the process of putting each disk in and then get a blue screen telling me Windows cannot complete installation or Iíll risk equipment damage, that I should update BIOS, check my video card driver and that I have enough space on my disk drive to install. At the end of the message there are 4 different ďStopĒ errors.
    I updated bios to most current version F5F and tried again. Same thing.
    How do I get this CDROM to boot?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

System specs:
    MB - GA-770-UD3 (Rev 1.0)
    AMD Phenom II AM3 720 CPU
    160 GB Seagate 7200.9 HD (SATA 2) (Where WinXP SP3 is installed now)
    80 GB Seagate 7200.7 HD (SATA) 3 partitions
    Lite-On SOHR-5238S CD/CD-RW (IDE)
    Lite-ON DVD-CD/DVD-RW/CE-RW Combo drive (SATA)
    4GB Kingston DDR2 800MHz memory (2x2GB)

Default Re: MA770-UD3 Won't boot from CDROM

Have you enabled USB keyboard support in BIOS?

I was using a ps2 keyboard but set bios to enable usb and switched to a usb keyboard. Now when I try to boot from cdrom, I get a blank black screen with a blinking cursor. Noting I do seems to change the screen. Waited for half an hour to see if it would boot.

Is there anyone who might have some ideas as to how I can get my computer to boot from the CDROM?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Please use the PS/2 keyboard, are you sure it works? If not can you please test it first by seeing if you can enter the BIOS with it to be sure?

Then disable the USB Keyboard setting. Also disconnect ANY External Device, if you have any connected

Then reboot and press F12 at startup where you would normally press the Delete key to enter the BIOS. You should then be presented with the Boot Menu screen to choose A Boot Device. Choose your CD Drive by name if it is listed, if not choose the Generic CD Drive choice and it should then boot to CD

I can tell you those Floppies are not going to work as they are Pre SP1 and XP Pre SP1 will not install in a PCIE System. So if your Install CD is also Pre-SP1 it will have this same issue and will fail to install. You must have XP SP1 or later to install on a PCI Express board. You should however have no issue booting to that CD to check that you can now boot to CD

Ohh, and NEVER Take Floppy off of the First Boot Device, it can save your board from RMA down the road if something goes wrong with your BIOS Bootblock

I have not read every single word in this thread but seeing as your dealing with a amd chipset motherboard. Its actually very simple to get the cdrom to boot. I ran into the same issues with several amd motherboards i built recently and had to help a few friends asking the same question.

For some odd reason depending on the amd southbridge controller that comes with your amd motherboard you have to run in IDE native mode to get it to boot off the cdrom drive.

Depending on the board these would be your options. go to your motherboard bios then integrated peripherals and where it says sata controller you should be able to switch to several modes.

IDE Native (this will definently let you boot from your cdrom drive)
    AHCI (this is recommended as your hard drive will get best performance but cdrom drive may not boot)
    RAID (you only use this mode if you plan to RAID two or more hard drives together.)

Now if you have one of the newer/better amd motherboards either you can put it in AHCI mode and it will still boot from CDROM anyway or there is an option that says SATA port 4/5 will be IDE.

What this means is that you can tell the controller to run in AHCI mode (best performance) but only ports 0-3 will run in AHCI mode while ports 4 and 5 would run IDE mode for stuff like cdroms.

That should solve your issue. at least it did for me when i encountered similar issues.
    AMD Phenom II 710 OC@3.450ghz
    Wintec Ampx 1333 DDR3 4GB
    GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    ATI/AMD 4870x2 videocard
    Coolit Freezone elite TEC chilling waterloop
    1 DVD burner
    1 36gb WD rapter hard drive
    2x 640GB WD in RAID 0
    Cooler Master 700W SilentPro PSU
    Watercooling video card and cpu only.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I've got it to boot from CDROM and have clean installed XP SP2. I'm not sure why or how it works now. One of my HDs is an older SATA I model Seagate. And it had a jumper on it next to where the data cable attaches. The jumper was setting it to Master when it it's just a data disk, no OS on it. I removed that jumper. Then I arranged the order of the power connections to the HDs. I made sure the bootable HD is last on the line. So then the master HD is my bootable HD, with the data HD as slave.

I still don't understand how there can be two SATA drives on one channel even though they each have separate data cables connected to separate SATA ports???

My Bios reports this:

SATA0 Master - Liteon SOHR-5238S
    SATA0 Slave - None
    SATA1 Master - Liteon ATAPI DVD-R/RW
    SATA2 Master - None
    SATA2 Slave - None
    SATA3 Master - Seagate 160MB Bootable (actual model number here)
    SATA3 Slave - Seagate 80MB data (model number here)

I don't understand how even though the data cables are on separate SATA ports, BIOS lists them as two per channel.

And which one is master and slave seems to depend on the order they're connected to the sata power cable.

Anyway, for a new computer builder, this is confusing. I have it working like I'd like but I don't really know why it works.

The BIOS on my previous MB and others I've seen list SATA like this:

IDE Channel 0 Master (model number)
    IDE Channel 0 Slave (model number)
    SATA Channel 1 (model number)
    SATA Channel 2 (model number)
    SATA Channel 3 (model number)

This is much easier to understand when one sata device is connected to one sata channel.

How come my Gigabyte board apparently uses an IDE controller for SATA? Or what is going on in my BIOS?

Johnyquest you need to read what i typed in bold. With the new AMD motherboards you can put your sata controller in several diffirent modes. based on what you posted about sata 0 master and sata 0 slave it just means your sata controller is emulating IDE for compatibiity.

I don't know exactly how your motherboard works so your gonna have the read the manual to get the exact specs. But assuming your board has 6 sata ports. it would work like this.

Sata 0
    Sata 1
    Sata 2
    Sata 3
    Sata 4
    Sata 5
    Now if you had the controller in AHCI mode you would see each device listed to each number and master slave would not be listed on any of them because AHCI mode is native sata mode. its best peformance what you want.

Now if your in Native IDE mode its gonna take those 6 sata ports and label like this.

Sata 0 master
    Sata 0 slave
    Sata 1 Master
    Sata 1 slave
    Sata 2 master
    Sata 2 slave.

just like real IDE drives.

Lastly if you look in your bios you might have an option to put the Sata controller in AHCI mode but underneath that you may have another option to run SATA port 4/5 in IDE which is the port i would plug your CDROM into so you can always boot from it.

Also if you happen to download the latest AMD chipset drivers which includes a driver for AHCI mode. Once thats installed in windows you might be able to go into the bios switch everything to AHCI for better performance and windows will boot fine. Your CDROM will also work fine.

Just for some reason you can't boot from your CDROM in AHCI mode and in the future if you need to boot from a CDROM drive you may have to switch your bios back to IDE mode.
    AMD Phenom II 710 OC@3.450ghz
    Wintec Ampx 1333 DDR3 4GB
    GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    ATI/AMD 4870x2 videocard
    Coolit Freezone elite TEC chilling waterloop
    1 DVD burner
    1 36gb WD rapter hard drive
    2x 640GB WD in RAID 0
    Cooler Master 700W SilentPro PSU
    Watercooling video card and cpu only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information