Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EX58-UD3R won't start up

Default Re: EX58-UD3R won't start up

hmm. i have this problem, only it can boot to windows, but restarts , power on off on over and over. i have the same case. and have seen some others. Im beginning to wonder, could it possibly be the case??

Exclamation Re: EX58-UD3R won't start up

Try disconnecting all leads leading from your PC case to the motherboard, I have read that the X58's have issues with certain cases being connected, remove them and your problem will go away! (apparently from what I have read!) I think it is ok to keep your HDD cable connected and your reset switch obviously, the rest are just cosmetic anyhow!

hey thorn, thats a great idea, please clarify all leads.. such as my case fans connected to the motherboard( connect them directly to the psu) power led and hdd led, top usb ports and audio jacks, anything else u think im missing? Thanks thorn, looking forward to your reply! ~dbee

Exclamation Re: EX58-UD3R won't start up

Quote Originally Posted by dbee View Post
    hey thorn, thats a great idea, please clarify all leads.. such as my case fans connected to the motherboard( connect them directly to the psu) power led and hdd led, top usb ports and audio jacks, anything else u think im missing? Thanks thorn, looking forward to your reply! ~dbee
    Yeah basically remove all non essential case connections to the X58 Motherboard, it is pretty simple to test, remove all (except for your Power Switch of course you don't want to have to short your jumpers to power the pc on and off all the time :P ) I am pretty sure all the LED cables are fine too, just anything else like the case open/closed cables, and yeah probably safe bet to try removing the case USB connections too! Give it a go and if it boots keep adding cables back UNTIL you find the one causing the issues! Not sure WHY this causes issues but I have seen on other hardware forums the exact issue you are having and this is how THEY solved it !

In my experience case related problems have always been caused by a dead short between case and motherboard.
    To check this you will need to remove the motherboard from the case, place it on a piece of cardboard and power it up. Be sure to mount a heat sink on the cpu, ram should be in place and video adapter in its slot.
    If you get a good boot you need then to find the source of the short - often a misplaced standoff.
    i7 920 DO @ 4410 210*21 Watercooled
    Gigabyte GA-Ex58 ud4p
    3X2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600
    2x4870 1GB Ati Crossfire.
    Intel X-25M SSD OS drive
    G.Skill Titan 128gb SSD X2 RAID 0 Data
    Corsair HX850 PSU
    Windows 7 x64 7600

misplaced standoff as in not correctly screwed in, or misplaced as in missing, no standoff at all. Could you please explain how these could have an effect on my problem. like are these standoffs keeping the mobo grounded to the case? or they keep it ungrounded from the case? im unsure of this type of thing thus far. Whats odd though is it will boot perfectly normal once it is set back to optimized defaults, it just wont let me get far past 3.5ghz upon exiting the bios, it shuts down and cycles power, as where it is supposed to stay powered on. please, more info . THANKS FRIENDS!

A misplaced standoff would be one that is NOT located under a mounting hole on the board and could then create a short on the board. If a short were present your system would not boot at all.
    If your system boots normally at optimized defaults I think it extremely unlikely that case problems are involved. It is more likely to be a problem with setting or settings when you start to overclock or, equally likely you are having a mother board or memory problem. Memory will certainly cause this problem. If you haven't already, run memtest from a bootable disk. Be sure the memory is set to its rated standard not the low settings of defaults.
    Gigabyte GA-Ex58 ud4p
    3X2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600
    Intel X-25M SSD OS drive
    Corsair HX850 PSU
    Windows 7 x64 7600

Question Re: EX58-UD3R won't start up

Quote Originally Posted by genec57 View Post
    A misplaced standoff would be one that is NOT located under a mounting hole on the board and could then create a short on the board. If a short were present your system would not boot at all.
    If your system boots normally at optimized defaults I think it extremely unlikely that case problems are involved. It is more likely to be a problem with setting or settings when you start to overclock or, equally likely you are having a mother board or memory problem. Memory will certainly cause this problem. If you haven't already, run memtest from a bootable disk. Be sure the memory is set to its rated standard not the low settings of defaults.
    I figured that bad Memory would cause the PC not to boot at all, isn't there an error beep for bad Memory at test?

Regarding the connection between the case connections and the motherboard which I was mentioning before, this is just something I have read running about other Hardware forums, they said that the X58 doesn't like particular Cases being connected to the motherboard... why I have no idea, not sure of the science behind this, but people mentioned that removing the case connections solved their problem... strange but that is what I read... weird...

Completely dead memory will cause the PC to not boot and give and error beep but most often memory is partially defective in that it will run but will be unstable. We rule this problem out by running memtest. If memtest shows any errors at all you have bad memory. Memory should be tested one module at a time.
    Gigabyte GA-Ex58 ud4p
    3X2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600
    Intel X-25M SSD OS drive
    Corsair HX850 PSU
    Windows 7 x64 7600

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information