Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P and E8500 help

stasio is offline GIGABYTE Elite

Default Re: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P and E8500 help

Yea,will be removed soon (banned?).
    GA-Z170X-SOC Force , Kaby Lake...
    GA-Z97X
    -SOC Force ,
    Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.7 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG
    @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8.1 x64;
    Win 10 x64

Quote Originally Posted by stasio View Post
    Heck why not!

rayzor2k is offline Junior Member

OK.. ICH SATA Control mode set to AHCI was causing problems.. I set it back to IDE and can now boot into Windows.

Some apps are still not able to be run like before. I am running a memory test now.

In which case I would consider reinstalling windows in either IDE or ACHI mode...which ever you want to run....

Why did you change it to begin with..which was not disclosed to us...

Quote Originally Posted by ibConners View Post
    In which case I would consider reinstalling windows in either IDE or ACHI mode...which ever you want to run....

Why did you change it to begin with..which was not disclosed to us...
    I mentioned it above...

So I googled what it was and there is a registry hack to allow the bios option to work without reinstalling. Is this necessary to get the system stable? Is my Windows in IDE mode causing problems?

Yes it is possible to get IDE to ACHI. I could tell you if I were on my main puter.(involves registery edits) But I'm not so the best I can tell you is google it..or reinstall at this point... Personally if it were me and I had nothing to loose besides reinstall of programs. I would do a clean install using ACHI and all of the MB and bios updates...
    Last edited by ibConners; 03-07-2013 at 11:04 AM.

if you want to go from IDE to AHCI in windows 7 it's not hard to do...

First make sure you are running the latest Chipset drivers (Not the default Windows drivers, it won't add the AHCI driver to the systems driver pool) if you don't do this you will get a BSOD on boot up

follow these instructions;How can I switch to AHCI Mode after installing Windows in IDE Mode?

then you are done.... if you do get a BSOD, don't fret, just go back in the bios and reselect IDE... it will boot back to windows...

the process for going from IDE to RAID or AHCI to RAID is the exact same...

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 4x PNY 120GB Raid 0
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by stasio View Post
    Interesting domain, too.
    Domain ID:D49246893-LRMS
    Domain Name:GOVAZD.INFO
    Created On:19-Feb-2013 08:01:17 UTC
    Last Updated On:19-Feb-2013 08:05:35 UTC
    Expiration Date:19-Feb-2014 08:01:17 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com LLC (R171-LRMS)
    Registrant ID:CR137013310
    Registrant Name:huan wan
    Registrant Organization:
    Registrant Street1:ding gong lu
    Registrant Street2:
    Registrant Street3:
    Registrant City:nanchang
    Registrant State/Province:jiangxi
    Registrant Postal Code:330012
    Registrant Country:CN
    Registrant Phone:+1.3767974536
    Registrant Phone Ext.:
    Registrant FAX:
    Registrant FAX Ext.:
    Registrant Email:wanhuan2010@gmail.com
    Admin ID:CR137013312
    Admin Name:huan wan
    Admin Organization:
    Admin Street1:ding gong lu
    Admin Street2:
    Admin Street3:
    Admin City:nanchang
    Admin State/Province:jiangxi
    Admin Postal Code:330012
    Admin Country:CN
    Admin Phone:+1.3767974536
    Admin Phone Ext.:
    Admin FAX:
    Admin FAX Ext.:
    Admin Email:wanhuan2010@gmail.com
    Billing ID:CR137013313
    Billing Name:huan wan
    Billing Organization:
    Billing Street1:ding gong lu
    Billing Street2:
    Billing Street3:
    Billing City:nanchang
    Billing State/Province:jiangxi
    Billing Postal Code:330012
    Billing Country:CN
    Billing Phone:+1.3767974536
    Billing Phone Ext.:
    Billing FAX:
    Billing FAX Ext.:
    Billing Email:wanhuan2010@gmail.com
    Tech ID:CR137013311
    Tech Name:huan wan
    Tech Organization:
    Tech Street1:ding gong lu
    Tech Street2:
    Tech Street3:
    Tech City:nanchang
    Tech State/Province:jiangxi
    Tech Postal Code:330012
    Tech Country:CN
    Tech Phone:+1.3767974536
    Tech Phone Ext.:
    Tech FAX:
    Tech FAX Ext.:
    Tech Email:wanhuan2010@gmail.com
    Name Server:NS1.HAWKHOST.COM
    Name Server:NS2.HAWKHOST.COM

KayossZero is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rayzor2k View Post
    Is this necessary to get the system stable? Is my Windows in IDE mode causing problems?
    No, running your HD's in IDE mode has nothing to do with stability. AHCI is simply a newer tech that has more features and slightly faster performance for HD's but a bigger improvement for SSD's.

Vinster's post on how to fix IDE-to-AHCI should work just fine, alternatively you can also use Microsoft's Fix it for me from: Error message occurs after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive (although I've never used it my self, though it should work)

Now assuming you can get into Windows the first thing I would recommend is to download Memtest86+ from Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool Version 4.20 () file: Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) if you have a spare USB flash drive laying around, if you don't then you can burn it to disc using the ISO or if you have an old floppy drive make a floppy copy err... I mean don't copy that floppy!1!! lol.

Next, make sure "Legacy USB Storage Detect" in the BIOS_Integrated Peripherals is enabled (if it isn't already) and when you reboot hit F12 to go to the select boot device menu, now it's been awhile since I've used that menu on my UD3P but IIRC you select HD and then under HD you will see your USB/FD listed. Now if you don't see it try this step: Turn off PC and then unplug or switch off your PSU completely and wait a few seconds and then try again. (I have to do this from time to time for my FD's to be detected in Bios my self) if that still doesn't work try another FD, failing that use another medium.

As soon as Memtest86+ starts up it will automatically start up using the default settings which are fine. The goal here is to at a minimum have your memory chip(s) complete a full pass, rarely after a full pass should you encounter errors, however having said that a 4+ hour long marathon doesn't hurt either to be extra sure. If your memory passes then we can be fairly confident it's fine. If you've already run Memtest86+ before and have verified your Ram then feel free to skip this.

Assuming your Ram passes this, we'll eliminate it for now and move on to your CPU. I see you're using a Corsair H60 cooler? That definitely means you shouldn't be having any cooling issues. (assuming your TIM is applied correctly and the h60 is snug)
    So lets stress the CPU. You have a few program options to choose from. For quick and dirty testing use Intel's Linpack: download either LinX or Intel Burn Test from http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ity-tools.html both programs do the same thing but IBT has less fluff features and LinX has more. OCCT also has Linpack testing as well but I prefer to use it for its basic stress test. Anyways, I recommend testing using 4GB of ram and doing at least 10 passes for *quick* testing but more like 20-50(or even 100) if you truly want to eliminate the CPU as a culprit, just be warned that Linpack will stress your CPU beyond anything else so temps are going to be much higher than you're used to if you've never used them before.

The next testers to use are the tried and true Prime95 and OCCT test. Both available from the link above. Since OCCT came out I've stopped using P95 as I find it redundant but either works. Going with OCCT, upon opening the program under the CPU:OCCT menu you have a few settings. The standard method of testing with P95/OCCT (in a, is my setup 24/7 stable? line of thinking) is to do a "Small Data Set" test for 6-8~ hours, if successful do a "Large Data Set" for 12-24~ hours. The small test mainly stresses the CPU and its cache only, while large tests system Ram as well and blend/medium does a bit of both.

If you can pass OCCT/LinX/IBT etc. with out fail it means you're stable 99% of the time if not 100%. If you can't it means either we have a CPU/Mobo hardware issue (most likely) or your Power Supply Unit is flaky and not able to deliver enough or not clean enough power to your system, again also very likely.

Software and system drivers can of course cause issues so the S.O.P of making sure everything is up to date and installed properly is assumed, but if not I can link you all the correct drivers for X component which is especially important for the Mobo and its integrated hardware + all the Intel drivers for various things.
    Last edited by KayossZero; 03-07-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Adding more.

I was still not able to get the system stable with 1 nor 2 sticks of memory. I tried various Vcore and MCH combos. Some apps will run.. Other apps will get the timeout error after 20 seconds or so. Currently, I can't even run regedit to enable AHCI mode.

I put the other memory stick back in and reset Vcore and MCH to auto and I ran Memtest86+ overnight.. Everything seems fine with no errors.

I guess the next step will be the CPU test tonight. CPU temps are good (39C with cooler).. Previously, it was running at around 60C for years! I always thought a bad CPU wouldn't even boot up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information