Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EX58-Extreme, i7 and cooling

Default EX58-Extreme, i7 and cooling

Hey all, I just finished a new build, my first on my own, and had some questions about some temperatures. According to Easytune6 my idle temperatures are around 40C for both system and CPU temps.

Stock speeds at load have my CPU temp @ 60C+ with 4 instances of SP 2004 running as mentioned in the i7 pdf overclocking guide posted in this forum. I've got a thermalright 120 ultra with fan and for not having overclocked anything yet, this seems rather high to me.

The guide shows temps of under 40 under load and under 60 still overclocked to 4Ghz. I haven't even tried to overclock yet and im already higher then these temps. Can I safely try to overclock still? Should I remount my cooler or get a new one?

For the gigabyte cooling block with heatpipes etc on the extreme and one of the best reviewed coolers it doesnt seem like I am getting the temperatures I should.

Using the EX58-Extreme
    thermalright ultra 120 with fan
    nzxt hush case with 2 120mm case fans
    gtx 285
    6 gigs of patriot 1600 ram

if any of that helps.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EX58-Extreme, i7 and cooling

Congrats on the build, twas easy wasn't it!

That is a great cooler, you may just need to re-mount it with less paste? Or mount it tighther, you can also make it MCU Tighter if you have the ThermalRight backplate installed using the penny/washer trick. Do NOT do this mod if you do not have a backplate installed as it will flex the board >>>
    eXoid.com - Tweak your Life. Mounting the Ultra-120 Extreme + P5B Ramsink Mod.

Larger image with a good angle, just for another look
    GameSpot Forums - PC Hardware Discussion - CPU temp. high with Thermalright Ultra 120!!!

Case Airflow and ambient temps play a large part in your temps as well so keep that in mind.

Hey, before I forget since you mentioned easytune. If you are using ONLY that to check your temps then you may have a big problem. That only shows the CPU Temp, not the Core Temps (What you need to watch). Normally CPU Temp will be a lot less then the Core Temps so you may be already at 70+ instead of the 60 you were thinking of.

You should be seeing @ 4Ghz (Sorry that is all I have ran/seen ran mostly) mid to upper 30's at idle and 65-70+ At load. With no overclock as you say you are running I would guess you should see 30-35 idle and 55-60 load

Use RealTemp or Core Temp, you can get them both here >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...y-tools-30530/

What can I use to remount my cooler?

Will rubbing alcohol and a q-tip clean off the old thermal paste?

Also realtemp works, but when trying to run coretemp it wont load and gives me a driver error.
    Last edited by asmallrabbit; 03-09-2009 at 01:53 AM.

Well what did you mean by remount?

Ahh, I meant just to redo it all. Like clean off the paste and put new/less on and then reseat it was all I meant. And be sure it is tight as you can get it, that is partially why I linked you to the penny/washer trick.

Do you have the backplate for the Thermalright? If so you should use that method so it is tighter. If not, maybe you should pickup a backplate, let me know if you need a link to one. They are pretty cheap $8-10 last time I looked.

You could also try a few things with fans. You could try your fan in a Pull method on it instead of push if you are using push on it now. Or you could just add another fan so you have Push/Pull action going on with it.

Yes, you can use rubbing alcohol to clean off the old paste, just be sure to let it dry before applying new, usually does pretty quick

Are you using the latest RealTemp and CoreTemp? What OS are you running? I find RealTemp to be better anyway, be sure you calibrate it, here is the calibration page >>>
    Calibration Page

But if you are not using the Latest CoreTemp then that may be why it is giving you errors, what is the error?

kick is offline Senior Member

rubbing alcohol,methylated spirits(meths) or those little wipes they use to rub your skin before giving an injection.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well what did you mean by remount?

Ahh, I meant just to redo it all. Like clean off the paste and put new/less on and then reseat it was all I meant. And be sure it is tight as you can get it, that is partially why I linked you to the penny/washer trick.

Do you have the backplate for the Thermalright? If so you should use that method so it is tighter. If not, maybe you should pickup a backplate, let me know if you need a link to one. They are pretty cheap $8-10 last time I looked.

You could also try a few things with fans. You could try your fan in a Pull method on it instead of push if you are using push on it now. Or you could just add another fan so you have Push/Pull action going on with it.

Yes, you can use rubbing alcohol to clean off the old paste, just be sure to let it dry before applying new, usually does pretty quick

Are you using the latest RealTemp and CoreTemp? What OS are you running? I find RealTemp to be better anyway, be sure you calibrate it, here is the calibration page >>>
    Calibration Page

But if you are not using the Latest CoreTemp then that may be why it is giving you errors, what is the error?

Well Im using realtemp now instead of coretemp. I removed the cooler and cleaned off the paste, then reapplied it. Put a washer on it as well since I have the backplate. Temps are lower now but following the overclock pdf guide posted in these forums and then testing with prime95 caused a BSOD in a couple of minutes. Doesnt seem like a 4ghz overclock will work for me.

How do I change the fan from a push to pull or vice versa? It seems like my case fans aren't pushing as much air as they could be but since they are plugged into the psu I assume they are running at max already.

I'm a little dissapointed that I dont seem to be getting better results considering I sprung for the thermalright cooler rather then just stock.

Not even running at 4Ghz right now and according to realtemp im at mid to high 50s at idle which is 20 degrees higher then what I should be according to others. =/
    Last edited by asmallrabbit; 03-09-2009 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by asmallrabbit View Post
    Well Im using realtemp now instead of coretemp. I removed the cooler and cleaned off the paste, then reapplied it. Put a washer on it as well since I have the backplate. Temps are lower now but following the overclock pdf guide posted in these forums and then testing with prime95 caused a BSOD in a couple of minutes. Doesnt seem like a 4ghz overclock will work for me.

How do I change the fan from a push to pull or vice versa? It seems like my case fans aren't pushing as much air as they could be but since they are plugged into the psu I assume they are running at max already.

I'm a little dissapointed that I dont seem to be getting better results considering I sprung for the thermalright cooler rather then just stock.

Not even running at 4Ghz right now and according to realtemp im at mid to high 50s at idle which is 20 degrees higher then what I should be according to others. =/
    Monitoring Temps correctly and preventing Over heating is always first. So now that you've got a good start at that, get a BIOS Template from Lsdmeasap- or search around this forum for one- so you can post all your BIOS Settings and Lsdmeasap or somebody will spot things you need to change in your BIOS setting. ;)

Make sure you have "MemSet" too. Tweakers.fr
    <<< LGA2011 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
    > Chipset : Intel X99
    > Mainboard :Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
    (NE Link)
    > Processor : i7-6850K (NE Link)
    > AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 (NE Link)
    > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)
    > Video Card : 2x ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING (NE Link)

<<< LGA1366 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply:
    >>>Original PSU (2011-01) :
    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade PSU (2012-01) : CORSAIR AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W (NE Link)
    > Chipset : Intel X58
    > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (REV.2.0) (FB BIOS)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > Processor : i7-950 (Revision D0) 3.0GHz @3.84GHz
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > HSF:
    Noctua NH-D14 (NE Link MPP Link)
    > Physical Memory :
    >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
    >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
    > Video Card :
    >>>Original Vid Card (2011-01) : BFG Geforce GTX295 (
    NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2012-01) : (2) EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GTX 560 Ti (2GB)-SLI (
    NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2013-07) : (2) GTX 760-SLI Gigabyte GV-N760OC-4GB (NE Link)
    > DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device
    > Monitor :
    ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26" (
    NE Link)
    > Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate
    > Case : COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel (
    NE Link)

<<< LGA775 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: Corsair 620HX (
    NE Link)
    > Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-S3G (F2 BIOS)
    > Chipset : Intel P35
    > Processor : Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale (Revision C0) 3.0GHz @ 3950 MHz
    > HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    > Physical Memory : CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) (
    Link)
    > Video Card : BFG Geforce GTX295
    > DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device
    >
    Monitor : ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26"
    > Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate

Hey Rabbit,

I'm thinking you might be having problems because of the High voltage settings in the guide. I think I would BSOD too if I put them that high.....

-Here is a screenshot with the voltages I use for 4Ghz:
    3.99GHz @ 1.296 (F4m)- ICH=1.16v
    http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/c/6/...21-0.jpg?rev=0

The only other (important) changes I make after "load Optimized Defaults" are
    C1e= off
    C2,c2,c3...= off
    Ram= 2:8 + spec'd timings + voltage
    Uncore freq= x17
    QPI link = x36
    BCLK = 190

If you are not stable, Try increasing:
    Cpu Vcore-> max 1.55v
    QPI VTT-> max 1.35v
    QPI PLL-> max 1.35v
    CPU PLL-> 1.84v
    IOH-> 1.35v
    ICH I/O -> 1.6v
    ICH-> 1.25
    Max Voltages from intel: http://img2.abload.de/img/datasheetmtu2.jpg

-Check the following screenshot @ 4.2, I hardly had to change any of the voltages from 4.0 apart from CPU Vcore, which required a huge bump from 4.0 to 4.2Ghz.
    QPI Vtt voltage is lower because my Patriot 1600 C9 kit required less voltage at the time (looser timings?)...

4.2GHz @ 1.44v (F4m)
    http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/373/200f4m2zw8.jpg

- For my 24/7 I use the following BIOS settings (sig) @ 4.1, in BIOS F3:

C1e= off
    C2,c2,c3...= off
    Ram= 2:8 (7-7-7-24-2t, 1.64v)
    Uncore freq= x18
    QPI link = x36
    BCLK = 195
    Cpu Vcore-> 1.3625
    QPI VTT-> 1.32v
    QPI PLL-> 1.20v
    CPU PLL-> 1.80v
    IOH-> 1.20v
    ICH I/O -> 1.60v
    ICH-> 1.20

It might just be your CPU hitting a wall, or a weak mem controller. Can you OC the CPU higher if you use the 2:6 ratio for the RAM?

Hope this helps,

Ced
    Windows 7 Pro 64 | OCZ Vertex 120 | Cosmos S
    Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 (F6) | Enermax Revolution85+ 1050w
    i7 2600k | 2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | EVGA GTX570 SC
    Apogee XT | Magicool 360 Radiator | MCP35x Pump + v.2 Res

Ya, that guide is for users to get a general Idea of how it works. I would not use those voltage either, of course some CPU's might need it but not all for sure.

Do keep in mind you guys could trade profiles if you are using the same BIOS versions.

Yeah, I was pretty much following the guide step by step as I've never overclocked before, and this is my first build so I don't know if I've installed somethng wrong or not. I've remounted my cooler again following directions on arctic's site for paste, ive got the cooler orientated left-right with the fan pushing air over the fins, which is then exhausted out the rear case fan. I've got my front case fan sucking cool air in, and I'm thinking of adding two more fans to my side panel if I cut some holes, one in the towards the front upper as an intake that would be pulling in cool air for my cpu cooler fan to push over the heatsink and then another fan in the back bottom to exhaust hot air that might not be going out the mid mounted rear fan or coming from my gpu. How hard is cutting aluminum to install a case fan? :P I would add one to the top of my case, but I would have to take everything out for that... side panel seems easier. (Using nzxt hush case)

I'm not very familiar with the BIOS or temperatures so I'm not sure what I should be aiming for as far as "safe" operating temperatures. Tomshardware mentions they see a lot of high temperatures from the i7 but that it doesnt seem to cause any problems so I think I will continue to play around with OC'ing.

I'll try C3D76's setting when I get home tonight, and/or try to post my settings or get a template to work with. Thanks for the help and responses thus far though. :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information