Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EP45-UD3P - Windows Install Asks for Driver

Default Re: EP45-UD3P - Windows Install Asks for Driver

This is getting interesting. I put the original IDE drive back on the PC and it booted SBS 2008 as usual.

Then I attempted to install Hyper-V on that IDE drive and I am back to square one with a disk not found and please load the driver issue.

Are there any mainboard diagnostics for this?

Cheers,
    Bill

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Sorry, what does "So I think the initial issue here was posts in use maybe?" mean?
    Sorry I meant ports. I meant I thought you may have been using the purple SATA Ports

Some disks need to be setup for first use, that means formatted and set active with a manufacturers tool. They will be useless and not visible to a OS until you do so. This may be the case here?

As for your last post, yes a IDE drive should work. You will need to leave the Gigabyte controller settings set to enabled/IDE though so be sure to do that

Can you connect this SATA Drive to another working PC so you can see if you can find and format it? If it does not show up in another computer then you either need to use the manufacturer tools to set it up for first use or it is a DOA Disk

What do you have on the IDE Drive? Only the IDE Disk itself, nothing else? If so do you have the jumper correct for the placement on the cable? Master has to be on the end of the cable, slave has to be in the middle CS (Cable Select) can be either.

Can you try another IDE cable? This is the cable that came with the board correct, just checking to be sure you was not using a old 80pin IDE cable as they resemble the 40pin and will fit and function in many cases. But just wanted to check as you should have no issues with a IDE Drive.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-11-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks again for your reply.

Not sure about disk initialisation on the Samsung 1TB 7200rpm drive. I will check just in case. This does not explain why the existing IDE drive has the same problem, though. Installed SBS 2008 once without issue on it but now can't install anything else over it.

Haven't we eliminated everything but the mainboard itself?

Cheers,
    Bill

Additional:

The IDE HDD is the only device on the cable and is jumpered master. Runs SBS 2008 perfectly but will not allow me to see it when I try to install another OS.

Very strange.

Cheers,
    Bill

Hmm, ya that is odd. Now, I am not sure what OS you are mentioning but I do know some will make it so disks cannot be seen by others. That would not explain why you could not reinstall the same OS though, but it may explain why you can't see your SATA Disk if you ever did get that SBS installed on it before?

I would try a low Level format on the IDE and see if that then allows you to install a OS to it. As for your SATA Disk, I would want to test that on another system if it was me.

Not sure if it would be the board at all really, as I doubt that Both disk controllers would go bad at all let alone at the same time

This starts to be like a "ghost in the machine" case :)

I'd check the installation media (CD/DVD) - if faulty might give you this kind of problems.

I wouldn't however low format the hdd - bit risky. Check the hdd in another rig as Lsdmasap said. And check your installation disk somehow.

'Ghost in the machine'? More like an army of demons!

I have since formatted the SATA drive in an SBS 2008 machine (the one in question) and I can save files to it, etc. so the drive did not require any low-level formatting. It was good to go out of the box.

After formatting, I again tried to install Hyper-V and got the same error no matter whether I try to install in AHCI or IDE mode.

These failures can't be the media since installs from any media whatsoever, eg. Hyper-V (2 separate DVDs from 2 different ISO images), Vista, SBS 2003, Windows 7 all generate the same error. I'll bet serious money that XP will fail, too.

More than this, I get the same error with IDE drives, both the one that has SBS 2008 on it and another from an XP Pro SP3 PC.

I really don't know where to go from here. The only thing left to try is another mainboard.

What do you guys think?

Now getting really depressed:(

Bill

So what did you decide to do here? I still think it cannot be that both controllers are bad on the board.

Are you setting something wrong maybe in the standard CMOS page? You can leave all that on auto if you are not sure

Unhappy Re: EP45-UD3P - Windows Install Asks for Driver

Well there is nothing else to try but another mainboard. May not be the controllers, but something is sure weird.

I have been using the Failsafe BIOS settings. Not game to try anything tricky.

I did manage to install XP Pro SP3 using standard board settings on the SATA drive running in IDE mode. There were several partitions of unknown origin on what should have been a clean SATA drive as it had previously been formatted under SBS 2008. Deleted them all and formatted them in the XP install. After that I was able to install Vista Enterprise 64-bit and Windows 7 32-bit RC0. I have not tried SBS 2008 RC0 yet but I will.

Hyper-V still does not install: two separate iso image downloads burnt on different DVDs. Same error: asks where the driver is, even in IDE mode. Obviously does not see the hard drives.

I'm not looking forward to explaining this to my supplier and trying to get another board to try

Thanks for checking in.

Cheers,
    Bill

Well that could be part of the issue as well, Fail Safe is not recommended. You should load optimized defaults. Have you always been using Fail Safe?

Well Nice to see you got something installed, at least we know that controller is ok.

Did you check to be sure Virtualization is enabled for SBS and Hyper-V? Maybe that is causing issues, I think it may be disabled for fail safe settings?

Well good luck with speaking to your supplier, and sorry to hear you have this much trouble with things. You are right, it could be a faulty board for sure though

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information